Complaint Review: Microsoft and HP and Best Buy

• Updated: Tue, April 19, 2011

• Reported By: DB — Seattle Washington United States of America
Microsoft and HP and Best Buy
Microsoft w Campus Acrd Internet United States of America

Microsoft and HP and Best Buy Windows 7 Pirated Version Windows 7 reported as pirated version - microsoft requires me to purchase new license, HP requires me to purchase new warranty, best buy will not do anything Internet

*Consumer Comment: Question?

*Consumer Comment: You can also try this.

*Consumer Comment: You can also try this.

*Consumer Comment: I concur...

*Consumer Comment: Try this.

*Consumer Comment: Try this.

*Consumer Suggestion: Grow Up!

I bought my HP Pavillion dv7 about 13 months ago from Best Buy in Bellingham, WA. The machine actually worked great and while it was heavier and bigger than my previous laptops the added weight and size was worth it.

About 2 months ago I started receiving messages via pop ups, message in the lower right corner of the desktop and a website that popped up stating that I may be a victim of pirating. The implication is that my OS (Win 7) was not legit. I searched the web and found a lot of complaints about this. Some solutions were for cracks, some were legit. I decided to finally call MS. They told me that because I could not give them the number at the bottom of my laptop that I had to pay $109 for another license. They also asked for the back up disc with the license number (I did not keep this assuming that i wouldn't have a problem). They could not or would not help me. I offered to let them into my machine and give them any info they needed to verify that I had a legit version of the OS.  I also asked them if Best Buy could possibly be selling machines with OEM pirated versions of Win7 - they assured me that Best Buy would not do this. I refused to pay and they told me to contact HP. The service rep was very professional but there was little that the person could do to help me.

I contacted HP and was informed that my warranty was expired. BUT if I purchased a new warranty then they could fix the problem. I explained the logical issue with this approach, but the rep was unable to help me. The choice was either buy an extended warranty or they would not help me.

Finally I called Best Buy where I purchased the machine. I wanted to talk to a sales rep because they generally understand the workarounds for various issues. He told me that there was nothing that could be done. The two solutions mentioned above were the only possibilities. He also said that he has never heard of this kind of problem happening in the past. This surprised me because it is very easy to google this very issue and dozens of pages come up with solutions, complaints, etc.

I let HP know they lost a customer for life. I doubt they care and I seriously doubt this will do any good. I let MS know how screwed up this is because the options are so limited. Mac, MS or open source.... I doubt they will ever do anything about this either.

Best Buy (Geek Squad) is horrible. I returned a Vaio several months ago for which I purchased an extended warranty. It was determined that the motherboard was destroyed due to "water damage". We had to pay $100+ to get the machine back. I then messed around with it and it works great after at least a year.

Why even bother posting this?
1) I feel a little better venting
2) Someone might learn that they are not alone with MS, Best Buy and HP support
3) There is a very slim chance that someone from one of these three companies will actually stand up and do the right thing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/16/2011 07:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Microsoft-and-HP-and-Best-Buy/internet/Microsoft-and-HP-and-Best-Buy-Windows-7-Pirated-Version-Windows-7-reported-as-pirated-vers-706992. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Microsoft and HP and Best Buy

Question?

AUTHOR: PCSurplusOnline.com - (United States of America)

Out of curiosity, why couldn't you provide them with the number located on the bottom of the laptop?

You can also try this.

AUTHOR: skeptic - (USA)

Sorry correction! I meant to say, go to Control Panel in Win7 and run Windows Defender. I use Microsoft Defender on my Windows XP computer as well. For me a good free virus protection program is Avira. It has a small footprint and doesn't slow the computer down at all. It updates itself everyday. Always download free programs only from their official sites.

You can also try this.

AUTHOR: skeptic - (USA)

Another thought. Windows7 comes with Windows Defender as part of the operating system. It's a malware detection program and will remove malware. Go to System in Win7 and click on Windows Defender. Let it scan your computer.

Windows Defender is also a free download for Windows XP. Only download it from the official Microsoft site.

I concur...

AUTHOR: spc3rd - (USA)

After reading your report, and the responses from some other posters here, I concur with two posters...one who stated you should not have thrown away your disc and "Skeptic's" comments as well.  Assuming you have a major anti-virus software program, such as, McAfee, Norton, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc already installed and running on your computer, I would additionally recommend you download the free version of Malwarebytes (or another of the reputable anti-malware programs) currently available.

If you DO happen to have a security issue (particularly malware), programs like Malwarebytes will generally detect it and quarantine it.  Malwarebytes is NOT intended to replace your major antivirus software...but, rather to complement it.  With Malwarebytes, you can simply run a "quick" scan, or full scan.  It will generate on on-screen report for you which you can save to a log.  If it detects an infection, it quarantines it so it cannot cause further harm to your computer.  You can then check the "quarantine" area to see what was found and take whatever necessary action you need to.

Aside from the many KNOWN malware programs out there, there are new variants being churned out every day.  No single major antivirus software on the market is going to be able to catch every single thing.  They will always be a step or two behind in upgrading their software to detect the newer infections.  The major antivirus software companies tend to concentrate on detecting viruses, rather than the many malware (including fake AV) programs lurking out there.  Although, there seems to be an effort being made now by a few of the major AV software providers to address some of the most serious malware issues floating around.

One important note:  when using an anti-malware program like Malwarebytes (to complement your major antivirus software), make certain it is NOT running in "real-time" protection mode!  Malwarebytes FREE download version is adequate since it does not have the real-time protection mode feature like its PAID version.

Try this.

AUTHOR: skeptic - (USA)

In Win7 click on start. Click on computer. Click on system properties at the top of the page. At the bottom of that page you will see Windows activation. It should say Windows is activated and give the product ID. Use that number when talking to Microsoft.

I think you may be the victim of malware or something like that. I don't believe Best Buy would sell a computer with pirated software. At first startup you should have burnt recovery discs and kept them. I don't know about HP but very few computers come with recovery discs these days. Instead, manufacturers include software that makes it very easy to burn your own. It walks you through the process.

HP would most probably sell you a recovery disc for about $30. You'll have to give them the serial number of your computer.

Try this.

AUTHOR: skeptic - (USA)

HP would most probably sell you a recovery disc for about $30. You'll have to give them the seriel number of your computer.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Grow Up!

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

You said you threw away the backup disc with the license number because you assumed that you would not have a problem.

Surprise! You had a problem and could not prove that your OS was legit.  Just how is it everybody else's fault that you threw away the backup disc?  Microsoft did not throw it away.  HP did not throw it away.  Best Buy did not throw it away.

Aside from the fact that you blame everyone else for your stupidity, it does not sound like there is anything wrong with your laptop other than a stupid pop-up with false information that directs you to a website for unnecessary repairs.  A good anti-virus program would zap the pop-up, but I am sure you do not have an anti-virus program because you assumed that you would not have a problem.

Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.