Complaint Review: Microsoft

• Updated: Wed, December 29, 2010

• Reported By: Charles Moore — Bedford Texas United States of America
Microsoft

Microsoft Kinect Backwards Compatibility Claim Internet

Microsoft touts the Xbox Kinect as being backwards compatible. Their websites, marketing, ec.. al state the Xbox 360 (all models) is compatible with the Kinect.

I purchased a $400 Xbox Kinect bundle from Game Stop with the idea of using my newWIFI enabled Xbox slim in my bedroom (so I would not have to run CAT5) while I would use the Xbox 360 20GB model already in my living room with my new Kinect purchase din the bundle.

When I got home and took all the packaging apart, I found the Kinect and attempted to connect it to my Xbox 360, unfortuantely it would not connect to my Xbox 360 as the original Xbox and all subsequent Xbox's up to the slim line do not have the special port needed to conenct the kinect directly to the Xbox.

Just to clarify, I am OK with that and understand hardware changes. Here is where my frustration lies.

I then called 1-800-4-MYXBOX and found out the simple truth of their marketing scheme which is this.

The Xbox Kinect Bundle does not come with the special cable needed to connect the kinect to the original Xbox, that cable is sold seperately for $34.99 on store.microsoft.com ONLY and is out of stock. the kicker is that the Xbox Kinect sold by itself DOES come with the needed cable to make it backwards compatible with any other model of Xbox 360.

According to Microsoft's call center (including their supervisors) this is by design as the kinect bundle is meant to save the user $50 by buying the set, therefore they take the special cable out of the bundle saving you $50. My question is, when did it become Microsoft's choice as to how I use their equipment as long as it is within the legal limits of their agreements. if I want to buy a Kinect bundle and connect the kinect to the original Xbox, why is that not my choice and why do I need to pay extra for a cable that should come with the system to make it backwards compatible?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2010 04:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Microsoft/internet/Microsoft-Kinect-Backwards-Compatibility-Claim-Internet-676567. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Microsoft