Complaint Review: Mid America ,Maryland Heights, Mo. World Perfume, Scentura Creation, Phoenix Enterprises, J And W

• Submitted: Thu, March 08, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, March 10, 2010

• Reported By:Bridgeton Missouri
5A Worthington Access Drive Maryland Heights, Hazelwood And Other Areas, Missouri U.S.A.

Mid America, World Perfume, Scentura Creation, Phoenix Enterprises, J And W False ad in the St. Louis Suburban Journals, and other employment newspapers Maryland Heights, Hazelwood, And All Areas Missouri

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: There's a reason for all of these similar complaints

*UPDATE Employee: Another Idiot

*UPDATE Employee: owner

MID AMERICA (Maryland Heights) and J and W (on North Lindberg 314-831-2616), are pyramid scams. You should RUN --- NOT WALK FROM THESE COMPANIES OR WHAT EVER NAME THEIR RUNNING UNDER AT THAT TIME. You can NOT make money from working at their companies! If anything, you lose money.

I have done extensive research on how these perfume companies operate, and they have a history of complaints all over the counry. This is a pyramid scam and what makes this a pyramid scam is they run ads in the newspaper luring kids (late teens, early 20's) to sell FAKE perfume, and telling them they will be promoted to management.

Here's the kicker though - there is ONLY ONE POSITION and it's peddling this FAKE perfume on parking lots such as Wal-Mart or Taco Bell until the manager kicks you off the lot. There is NO MANAGEMENT POSTION!!! In order to get into "management," you have to pay for your own rent, and run the same ads you just applied for. Feel Dumb...? Don't...! That's part of their scam!

I encourge anyone who responds to their ad to call either the newspaper, and ask to speak to a superviser and explain the situation. The thing about this scam is that if the ad doesn't run in the newspaper, their whole pyramid scam collapses. The more complaints the newspaper receives from this perfume scam, the more likey they are to watch their ads before they print.

The following ad ran in the St. Louis Suburban Journals:

Many positions avail. from
C/S to management
No exp. nec. 314-317-9196
The also ran two Ads in the Employment Guide
Also ran in the Alton, IL. Telegragh

*** Jenny Weggemann is the person who is mainly in charge of running the scam out of this office.
*** Other phone numbers connected to this scam are:
636-236-4963 (Personal cell phone of David)
314-961-4084 (under the name American)
314-205-8683 (Number used for Gateway - Closed when the presure heated up and people found out it was a scam)
636-536-6277 (Phoenx Enterprises - Closed when the presure heated up and people found out it was scam)
314-831-2616 Ad in Employment Guide (J and W on North

You can also research further on this site (ripoffreport.com) and type in "world perfume"

Again, please STAY AWAY from these FAKE perfume companies. And if you see their ad, call the newspaper, ask to speak to a superviser to have their ad pulled from the paper. That is the only way to shut the scam down.

Bridgeton, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/08/2007 09:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mid-America-Maryland-Heights-Mo-World-Perfume-Scentura-Creation-Phoenix-Enterprises-J-And-W/Maryland-Heights-Hazelwood-And-Other-Areas-Missouri-63043/Mid-America-World-Perfume-Scentura-Creation-Phoenix-Enterprises-J-And-W-False-ad-in-th-238543. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mid America ,Maryland Heights, Mo. World Perfume, Scentura Creation, Phoenix Enterprises, J And W

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

There's a reason for all of these similar complaints

AUTHOR: Former Five Star Trainee - (United States of America)

I fear that Papa Perfume is missing the point of most of these complaints.  While a Scentura distributor might be a legal business, most if not all resort to using deceptive techniques to lure in applicants.  As we all know, those who apply do so under the impression that, if hired, they will be offered an office position that pays $30,000-40,000 in the first year.

If you'd like to avoid complaints like this from folks who felt duped when they showed up for an interview, try altering your ads.  Be up front about it and post a listing for a sales agent, pay based on commission, expect $200-500 per week, possibility to advance to office position after 3 months.  Don't you think that would weed out people who don't feel that they're cut out for sales?

Secondly, be certain that the applicant is completely aware of just what the job entails before they leave their first or second interview...not after you've offered them the position, which they think is a salaried office manager making $35,000 a year.  Many applicants, believing they are about to start a $35,000 position, quit their other job(s) during the interim, before they begin training with the Scentura distributer.  It's not until they've left their previous employer and begun training, that they come to realize they will be selling perfume for the next 3 months, and the only income they will receive is directly related to the number of bottles they are able to sell each week.

Third, do not have applicants memorize a sales pitch which includes a line such as "I work for a wholesale fragrance company, and we carry all of the top designer fragrances which you would normally purchase in department stores for $80-150 a bottle.  I can offer these to you today for only $25."  After all, these are not the same designer fragrances, which you're selling in generic bottles.  It's printed right on the back of each box in all caps.  "THIS EXCLUSIVE FORMULA IS SCENTURA CREATIONS' RENDITION OF A FAMOUS DESIGNER FRAGRANCE..."

Fourth, inform applicants that while your office does hold all appropriate business licenses and permits, these do not cover them in the field.  Instruct them to look into their local laws regarding soliciting, and seek the appropriate privilege sales tax license, mobile venders license, etc.  Be sure to express to them that until they have obtained these documents, any sales they perform in the field will be done so illegally, and your office will not be held responsible if they run into legal trouble.

Lastly, let trainees who agree to these terms, know just what they'll need to accomplish during this training period in order to be able to open their own office.  If that means they must sell X number of total bottles, train/recruit X number of new trainees, etc. make that known.  This will allow them to track their progress, and set an identifiable goal for when they should be able to move into a new office.  If a trainee is not on track to gain their own office within 3 months, they'll know why, and what is expected of them to do so.  This will also help prevent office managers from stringing along good, office-ready trainees, because they realize that their direct sales in the field are worth more to them, than any kickbacks they'd receive should they promote them to their own office.

Additional note:  If your particular distribution office is not registered with the Better Business Bureau, do not post signs in your office which would imply otherwise.

Fair enough?

Another Idiot

AUTHOR: papa perfume - (United States of America)

What I love about these threads is that people blow-out and don't have the balls to confront the owners face to face.  In my career I've had about 10 blow-outs over 6 years confront me with negative crap to my face.  There's no one no where that can sit in front of myself or any other successful manager and win a debate.  Because everything they have is all BS.  Any successful manager can show you bus. lic., occupancy permits, tax lic., and anything else that makes them "legit."

And there is no fees, no investments, and no one ever has to buy anything.  The only thing asked for is a good attitude, lots of effort, and someone that's willing to put in 90 days of effort for what can be a lifetime of rewards.  It's worked well for myself and hundreds of others.  And hundreds of others will become successful because of this business.  So good luck to all the blow-outs anyways.

Good luck and best wishes

AUTHOR: Mdwethebest - (U.S.A.)

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Earley Gaynor, I went through training a year and a half ago in middlesex, new jersey. When I first started I answered the ad just like everyone else. But unlike the other people that I started with, I stuck with it and I finished the program. When I started I was in Job Corp, I was broke and I had no plan in life. I went from job to job to job until finally I answered the ad, Donnie did my first interview and he gave me the opportunity of a lifetime. When I started I had to do some sales (just like everyone else) but instead of quitting, I had to work harder. Long story short I finished the program in ten weeks (two weeks shorter than my goal). I now run a location of my own in Lanham, Maryland, which means I am a promotion of Donnie and Holly's. I now do the same job that they do, I signed up to be a manager and that is exactly what I am. I didn't get in this to do sales (which no one does). Donnie told me that I could make 30K my first year in the first interview. But in my business in its first year, I made $82,000. I feel like I scammed Donnie. People who blow out in their first or second week obviously didn't understand the business. They give anyone, no matter what race,color,gender, or age, the same opportunity they gave me. Free merchandise, free training, (the day you have to pay for something should be a red flag for you no matter what business) and they also give you the opportunity to move to any state with a business for free. Like I said I went through training in New Jersey and I got the freedom to move to Maryland. Any person with a brain can look at all these negative letters and see that people run offices all over the country. So ask yourself, how did they get there? They got promoted there obviously. Running your own business isn't going to happen overnight, it takes more time and dedication to be successful in this and in any business. Anyone who says this is a pyramid scam or that you dont get promoted doesn't know what THE
F*** your talking about. Everyone has the exact same equal opportunity. All it takes to complete training is working hard( for yourself), dedication, and a little blind faith, believing that Donnie and Holly will get you open. I am so confident that I am going to leave my phone number (NOT FOR BLOWOUTS) but for people who actually want some advice on how to run a successful business for Scentura. 240-380-6157 or 240-330-7566. I have alot of respect for Donnie and Holly because if I was in the position, I wouldn't even bother running an office I would retire. They are great people and unbelievable promoting owners. I am 21 years old, I am black and I make decent money. Thanks to Larry Hohn for giving me the opportunity. When an opportunity like this comes your way it isn't about what someone else did or does for you but what you do with the opportunity yourself. See you at the top.