Complaint Review: Midas Auto Servie Experts

• Submitted: Tue, August 05, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, December 19, 2008

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
Midas Auto Servie Experts
8816 North Black Canyon Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.

*Consumer Comment: No such thing as a "tune up" anymore. Fancy terminology for "changing spark plugs".

*Consumer Comment: The mechanic couldn't fix the car, thats why he told you it needed all those parts!!!

*UPDATE Employee: Complaint Response

*Author of original report: Midas Auto Servie Experts Midas will NOT refund my money or fix my car!! Phoenix Arizona - CASE CLOSED

On 08/02/08 I took my 2001 VW Jetta to Midas because I had the check engine light on and the engine would shake when idle. I was greeted by Michael Jaskowiak, he said they were gonna run some tests, I left the car and went to work.

Later I called several times and I spoke with Michael and he kept telling me he'll call me back in 5 minutes, hours later I would call back. This is not the issue, when he finally told me what was wrong with the vehicle, he gave me several reasons why and recommended about $1200 worth of repairs. I told him that by no means I could afford that and asked him what would be extremelly important to get the car on the road safelly, otherwise I wouldn't repair it, he told me a tune up and install a new Oxygen sensor, this would take care of the problem(check engine light would go away and car would run ok), and later on I could come back to get the rest of the work done. So I agreed on $731.22 of repairs, $345.80 (highly inflated prize tag) for an Oxygen sensor, and $139.28 for sparkplugs (also highly inflated prize), $68.02 of Engine diagnosis plus $205.88 in labor costs.

When I picked up the car, it seemed fine (the problem was on and off, so this didn't mean the car was fixed), so I drove it home and the next day when I started it, it had the same problem, check engine light on and the engine shaking a bit while idle, SO i took the car back to Midas, this time I was greeted by Chris, and he told me he'd check the car and call me, when he called me later he said he had to replace the oxygen sensor they installed and that now I also need a different sensor it it would cost me around $400, on top of the $731 I already paid!

So, basically, I paid $731 for sparkplugs and an oxygen sensor, and now they want more money to fix it. I want my money back or the car fixed, and they won't do either unless I pay more. He told me I can call corporate if I'd like, which I will, good luck with that right?

Lucas
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2008 11:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Midas-Auto-Servie-Experts/Phoenix-Arizona-85029/Midas-Auto-Servie-Experts-Midas-will-NOT-refund-my-money-or-fix-my-car-Phoenix-Arizona-359421. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Midas Auto Servie Experts

A "tune up" is simply the act of changing spark plugs. Nothing more.

On pre-computer cars a "tune-up" consisted of changing spark plugs, checking/adjusting the carburetor, checking/adjusting the points, checking/adjusting the timing as a minimum. Often included was a safety check and fuel filter change, etc.

Todays vehicles need none of these "tune up" services as they are not equipped with these components any more.

Midas should stick to exhaust work, and MAYBE some brakes. Thats all they are qualified to do.

I bet he will next time.

AUTHOR: Cardoc420 - (U.S.A.)

Come on, Midas said in their rebuttal that the O2 sensor failed again because of the defective Mass Air Flow sensor????? I've been working on cars for over 20 years and I have heard many mechanics use that line of crap to a customer, because they didn't know what would fix the complaint, or how to diagnose it. When you hear a line like that, its always because they put on a part that was not bad hoping it would fix the issue, and when the problem happened again and they needed to install another different part, that part must have made the other part go bad. Yeah, right. A Mass Air Flow sensor has nothing to do with the O2 sensor(Oxygen sensor). Both of these sensors are inputs to the engine computer. The Mass Air Flow measures the density of the incoming air to the engine, and reports it to the processor so it can add the correct amount of fuel. The MAF sensor is important when you change altitudes, because air density changes with altitude. The Oxygen sensor is a input that tells the processor the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. The processor then adds or subtracts the amount of fuel given to the engine. How does one make the other go bad? The guy "diagnosing" your car didn't know what he was doing and assumed that the oxygen sensor was causing you car to act up, and a tune up because everyone thinks a tune up will fix all problems. When, in fact, the Mass Air Flow sensor was all you needed to fix the issue. Yes, you got ripped off.

Complaint Response

AUTHOR: Midasphx - (U.S.A.)

The consumer brought their vehicle into our location on 8/2/08 to have us look at why the check engine light was on and to determine why the vehicle was not running properly.

Upon investigation, the following trouble codes were prevelent in the vehicles ECM:PO171 PO101 PO606 PO300 PO301. The consumer approved thet testing fee of $68.02 to determine the cause of these trouble codes.

Once the testing was completed, we provided the consumer with an estimate of repairs. It was apparrent that the consumer had concerns about the cost of these repairs and had asked about only performing the minimum amount of repairs necessary.

We then reccommended replacing the spark plugs and O2 Sensor at a minimum. We also felt that the Mass Air Flow Sensor could probably be cleaned which would result in a savings to the consumer. The other reccommendatons that were made were declined by the consumer.

Once the approved repairs were performed, the vehicle was rescanned and test drove, and it appeared to operating correctly. The customer returned on Monday 8/4 indicating that the check engine light came on again. Upon inspection, the O2 Sensor failed again, which was a result of the Mass Air Flow Sensor being defective. It appears that our attempt to clean the sensor did not work and that a new part needed to be purchased.

We had discussions with the consumer on a resolution to his vehicle issues and came to agreed to allow them to provide their own parts that were initially declined on the estimate, but necessary, and we provided the labor to replace the parts at no additional charge to the consumer.

At this time the problem with the vehicle has been resolved to the consumers satisfaction.

AUTHOR: Lucas - (U.S.A.)

Since filing this report, MIDAS actually contacted me and they decided to do a TCS (Total customer satisfaction) and this time I bought the parts needed, a mass air flow sensor and a sparkplug wires, and they installed it at no charge, I am very pleased with the outcome and the Guy who helped me, Chirs was more than helpful.