Complaint Review: Midas

• Submitted: Mon, April 29, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, April 30, 2013

• Reported By: James — Fairview Oregon
135 NW Burnside Rd Gresham, Oregon USA

Midas Midas Gresham Brake Caliper broken when just looking at an estimate Gresham, Oregon

I try to do my own work whenever possible, and so I replaced one brake caliper (right rear) and all four sets of brake pads.  I wasn't able to completely bleed the air out, so I had my car towed to our local Midas (Gresham Oregon).  I let the woman at the desk know what happened, and she suggested the mechanics look at it first and that they would let me know if there's anything else going on.  Fine, I said - confident in my work I knew what was wrong.
A few hours past, and so I called them back for an update.... "give us about 20-30 minutes, and we'll call you with an update."  Fine.  They call back, and it turns out that they broke off the bleeder screw for the left rear caliper, and I would have to replace the whole caliper.  Claiming it was broken to begin with, because they weren't able to unscrew it without sheering off the bleeder screw.  Mind you, this is an aluminum hollow little screw, so you can't just stick a big wrench on it and give it a twist.  What kind of idiots do they have working there??
Anyway, since I had the car towed there to begin with, I couldn't drive it home or any other shop to be worked on - I was forced to have them replace the caliper and finally bleed the system.  What should have been about $70 has turned into $170.

I'm picking up the car this afternoon, and crossing my fingers they didn't break anything else.....

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/29/2013 05:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Midas/Gresham-Oregon-97030/Midas-Midas-Gresham-Brake-Caliper-broken-when-just-looking-at-an-estimate-Gresham-Oregon-1047157. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Midas