Complaint Review: Midas

Midas
301 W Vine St Kissimmee, Florida USA

Midas Believes women to be ignorant, easy targets Kissimmee Florida

*General Comment: Somethings not right

When the air conditioner stopped working in my car, I decided to get it checked by Midas. I could still hear the compressor kick on and run, as well as feel the air blowing through the vents. I was afraid that I had a refrigerant leak, and wanted to know how bad it was.

When I came back, (it was ready an hour later than estimated, and this was only a diagnostic!) I was loaded down with a whole lot of BS. I was told that my compressor was totally shot, and that I needed over $600 worth of repairs to get the AC running again.

I asked, "So...the compressor is running, but not efficiently?" The response was that it was not running at all. That it was bad, and needed replaced. When I insisted that I could hear the compressor kick on, I got a deer in the headlights look from the owner. He then shook his head and insisted that I absolutely would not get my AC running without a brand new compressor, air dryer, and everything that goes with that sort of repair.

I left, and stopped by an autoparts store the next day. I bought the do it yourself can of freon to charge the system. Sure enough, it's been running cold since. This was months ago.

When I told friends and family about this, a common trend came up. Many of my female friends had similar stories of being treated as if we know absolutely nothing about how car components work. And this guy had tried to take them all for several hundred dollars of unnecessary repairs!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/08/2013 02:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Midas/Kissimmee-Florida-32808/Midas-Believes-women-to-be-ignorant-easy-targets-Kissimmee-Florida-1057556. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Midas

#1 General Comment

Somethings not right

AUTHOR: justin2172 - ()

"and that I needed over $600 worth of repairs to get the AC running again."

"I absolutely would not get my AC running without a brand new compressor, air dryer, and everything that goes with that sort of repair."

Something is missing or you're being misleading because $600 for a new compressor alone is a steal of a price let alone air dryer and filter.  At any rate, if your compressor is running but the tech can hear the shaft grinding internally, it would be wise to replace it before it sends shrapnel through the entire system.