Complaint Review: Midas

• Submitted: Sun, April 23, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, April 13, 2009

• Reported By:Midwest City Oklahoma
Midas
NW 23rd St Oklahoma City, Oklahoma U.S.A.

Midas Brakes ripoff, advertises lifetime warranty but sell horrible brake pads had 2 go back 2 times Oklahoma City Oklahoma

*UPDATE Employee: A few things

*Consumer Comment: Midas Doesn't use AZ Pads

*Consumer Comment: Midas uses Autozone as their primary supplier

*UPDATE Employee: Midas Pads

*Consumer Comment: Same Here...No Resolution, though!

*Consumer Comment: Midas pads are the best? HAHAHAHAHA!

*Consumer Suggestion: squeaky brakes?

I took my vehicle in for a brake job because this place is across the street from my job. They even offer our employees a discount.

I only needed the rear brakes and just the pads were replaced. At least a week later the brakes were already squeaking. I took it back and they replaced the pads again. Shortly after that visit the same thing, squeaky brakes again. I sent Midas an email voicing my concerns but heard nothing. I even took the vehicle to another location and found out that the original Midas was never recording in their computer the 2 extra times I had to come get replacement pads. The other location put more pads on but didn't put my tire back on correctly so it almost fell off!

Needles to say, I'm not happy with Midas at all, any of them. Beware consumers of the Lifetime Warranty, the brake pads they use are worthless.

Lisa
Midwest City, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/23/2006 09:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Midas/Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma-73107/Midas-Brakes-ripoff-advertises-lifetime-warranty-but-sell-horrible-brake-pads-had-2-go-ba-188129. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Midas

AUTHOR: 3x At Midas - (U.S.A.)

in response to Darin the Midas employee. I learned to use brake lube over 20 yrs. ago at Midas. upon returning to work there 20 yrs. later the top tech. told me it took him forever to talk everyone from using lube "because it gummed up the brakes".my reply was" what about the effects of rust".i received no answer so i took it as a way to do faster brake jobs. unfortunately i had the honor of fixing some of these messes. I DO NOT WORK NOR WILL I EVER WORK THERE AGAIN BUT I STILL WILL USE BRAKE LUBE WHEN PERFOMING BRAKE JOBS. It just makes sense. Too bad some techs ruin it for others. Every auto tech. periodical magazine I read the techs always recommend brake lube.

A few things

AUTHOR: Darin - (U.S.A.)

As an employee that works at a Midas now and when they were using AZ parts and even before that, I know a few things.

1) AZ pads that were allowed for us to be a valid warranted pad through Midas had to be Duralast pads.

2) Midas now allows the use of O'reilly, Napa, and Carquest pads. They must be the better line pads, they can not be the TS pads from Napa, etc.

3) Even with the better pads, I have found some to have pits in them that will allow them to make noise.

4) How the employee installs the pads can have a lot to do with how they perform. If you install the pads without cleaning or replacing the hardware, they can make noise. If you install them without lube, they can make noise.

5) What the customer wants done has a lot to do with how pads perform. Brake pads are not miracle workers. If you have brake rotors that are junk and you just want to slap pads on them, they will make noise and/or pulsate. WHEN I AM INSTRUSTED TO SLAP PADS ON WHEN OTHER WORK NEEDS TO BE DONE, I PUT A BIG DISCLAIMER ON THE INVOICE REFLECTING THIS SO THAT WHEN YOU COME BACK AND SAY "HEY YOU DIDN'T DO THE JOB RIGHT," I CAN SHOW YOU WHERE IT SAYS YOU DECLINED ALL THIS.

Midas Doesn't use AZ Pads

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

You are correct in the fact Midas closed its manufacturing. Midas did sign an agreement with AZ to supply Vehicle Specific Design brake pads. Many times these pads would be "backordered" and AZ pads would be substituted. Midas franchisees found this to be an inferior product and Midas International paid AZ a large amount to get out of the contract. Presently Midas has an "approved" list of suppliers that must meet or exceed the original manufacturers product.

Midas uses Autozone as their primary supplier

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

That is FACT, not opinion. When Midas closed their manufacturing plants, they contracted with AZ to handle their parts supply.

Like I said...if you think Albany is a good pad, good luck stopping.

AUTHOR: Patrick - (U.S.A.)

Here is somthing else that might help you out. Many vehicles that do use ceramic pads also use dampend iron rotors. These rotors are softer to compensate for the hard ceramic pads and the manufacturer recomoned you replace them every time you change the pads. I would recomend you call a dealership with your vin # to nail down what your vehicle does indeed have then go back and make sure that the right application of parts is being used. Quality of pads rarely has anything to do with brake noise unless the pads delaminate or overheat.

Midas Pads

AUTHOR: Darin - (U.S.A.)

Currently Midas uses the Safety Stop line of Napa brake pads. They are the same product just sold to us in a Midas box. We do not use Albany brake pads.

Same Here...No Resolution, though!

AUTHOR: Two6nine - (U.S.A.)

I had the same problem. I took my car back twice and they still squeak and make very embarrassing noises. The even vibrate when the brake are applied as well as a clicking sound when braking in reverse. The last time I took them in the owner (also one of the mechanics) said the test drove my car TWICE and could find nothing wrong and heard no noise. I watched the whole time my car was in the garage and never once did my car leave until I was leaving. I contacted another brake specialist and they informed me that when you buy the lifetime warranty special cheaper brakes are installed that are much harder and noisier.

Midas pads are the best? HAHAHAHAHA!

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

That may have been true many yers ago. But today, Midas buys ALL of it's stuff from a sotore everybody has access too.. They closed their manufacturing plant.

If you think Albany pads are good, have fun trying to stop. They make noise, and fall apart very quickly. They are made for the guy who wants CHEAP, and CHEAP pads is the only way Midas can compete with people like me. I can make my margin while using good pads. Remember, franchises have to pay 14-20% of their gross sales to the Corporation. If a franchise is trying to sell you service for the same price as an independent, the parts they are using are junk.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

squeaky brakes?

AUTHOR: Don - (U.S.A.)

What kind of vehicle do you have, some newer models do have cermaic brake pads oe. I've seen many shops that dont even look to see if the car had ceramic as original equipment, and if not done, can result in a squeak. Did you decline any work by chance, maybe machining front rotors or adjusting the rear brakes? I would just call the shop and get the owners number and talk to him. Oh, and btw, Midas pads, if they were used, in my opinion are one of the best pads made with chamfered edges and shims where they were oe.