Complaint Review: Mike Duman Auto Sales

• Submitted: Wed, August 03, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, November 22, 2010

• Reported By:hampton Virginia
Mike Duman Auto Sales
Godwin Blvd Suffolk, Virginia U.S.A.

Mike Duman Auto Sales ripoff, sells cars that spend more time being serviced than on the road Suffolk Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Mike duman got me too!

*UPDATE Employee: More Information from my last response

*UPDATE Employee: I'm sorry for you trouble

*Consumer Comment: I think Mike Duman Auto Sales is great!

purchased a 2001 ford expediton in feb 2005 and in june transmission has been rebuilt twice and now electrical system has to be replaced. when i contacted mike duman they did not want to hear about it or have anything to do with it.

they are rude and very unhelpful. once they get the money they dont care what happens when you drive off the lot. they have brushed me off everytime something has happened. i cannot even travel 2 hours from my residence with a car that i have only made 5 payments on without it breaking down stranding me with 3 children and no transportation. when your car needs serviced they act is if you are bothering them.

Amy
hampton, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/03/2005 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mike-Duman-Auto-Sales/Suffolk-Virginia/Mike-Duman-Auto-Sales-ripoff-sells-cars-that-spend-more-time-being-serviced-than-on-the-r-152367. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mike Duman Auto Sales

Mike duman got me too!

AUTHOR: ScrewedinVaBch - (United States of America)

Same here.. Read my story!!!!

November 20, 2010

In 2008 my wife and I purchased a vehicle from Mike Duman auto sales in Suffolk, Va.
We were happy with the vehicle for the needs at that point in time. The vehicle was a 2007 Suzuki XL7. We also always purchase items that may hold their resale value. This vehicle has leather, wood grain and a DVD player in the back (for my one child). Two years and one additional child later it was time for something a little bigger. Julie and I went to Chevrolet dealership. We located a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe. They informed us the VIN number on the vehicle we were attempting to trade in was part of a Lemon Buyback. The Chevrolet dealer, along with 3 others, were only able to offer us between $3,000 and $5,000.  After researching on
www.google.com I found out the definition of a Lemon Buyback.

A lemon buyback is a vehicle that has been reclaimed by the car manufacturer on or after January 1, 1996, because warranty promises were not kept after defects were discovered. The reacquired vehicle, before resale, must be registered in the manufacturer's name. The law's intent is designed to protect buyers of used cars and new cars.

The following day I located all the paperwork from the original sale. I wanted to find out if we signed any paperwork stating that we were aware this vehicle was part of a Lemon Buyback
I was unable to locate any. I then contacted the dealer in Suffolk Va. I spoke to the Sales Manager by the name of A.J. He informed me that he will need to locate our paperwork to make sure we were not made aware. A few hours later I contacted him back. He informed me that he was unsuccessful locating any paperwork were we were made aware that this vehicle was part of the buyback program. AJ asked me when I would be able to come in. I informed him my wife and I would be in on Saturday (November 20, 20100).

On November 20, 2010 Julie and I Went to Mike Duman Auto Sales in Suffolk, Va. We were greeted at the door and pointed in the direction of AJ. After speaking with the Sales Manager (AJ) he informed us that he would see what he could do.  AJ directed us to our original sales person. We looked on the lot and found a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. We believed this vehicle suited our needs and a vehicle that was comparable to the one we were looking to buy when we discovered the Buyback Notification on this vehicle.  Even though we wanted a 2011 Tahoe from a different dealership, we would compromise and work with the Mike Duman Dealership.
Our current payments on the vehicle we are driving are $250 a month. I informed the sales person I would even meet him in the middle and accept a payment of $300 or less if need be.

After AJ discussed the situation with Mike Duman himself (my wife and I saw AJ speaking to him directly) what they could do, the only thing they stated they could do would be to give us Bluebook Value, because of depreciation. He informed us that the new payment would be over $500. We informed him that the law states (according to lemon law.com) that because they did not inform us that my 2007 Suzuki XL-7 was a Lemon Law manufacturer Buyback before we purchased it that they were liable to give us full purchase price back.  AJ went back to discuss this with Mike Duman and came back and said that they would still only be able to give me bluebook. The sales manager stated he is aware that they did not inform us that this vehicle was part of a Buyback. When I went to the dealership they had only the mind frame to sell me a vehicle and not work with the current incident at hand.

I am not trying to get something free, but I am in a very difficult position right now. If I wanted to look past this, which I dont I am only limited to the Mike Duman Dealership. The way I feel regarding this whole ordeal is:

1)      Mike Duman is refusing to work with us at all besides just trying to sell us a vehicle.

2)      I went above and beyond what I should have done and even offered to pay $50 more a month in a car payment.

3)      I admit that I got use out of the vehicle, but I would have never purchased it if I knew this upfront. There is very little trade in value in it.

4)      I am limited to this one dealership if I want to purchase a new/used vehicle.

I also found this which exactly fits my predicament:

Virginia Lemon Law
Virginia Code, 59.1-207.9 to 207.16:1

1-207.16:1 Disclosure of returned vehicles; penalty.

A. If a motor vehicle that is returned to the manufacturer or distributor either under this chapter or by judgment, decree, or arbitration award in this or any other state and is then transferred by a manufacturer or distributor to a dealer, licensed under Chapter 15 (46.2-1500 et seq.) of Title 46.2, in Virginia, the manufacturer or distributor shall disclose this information to the Virginia dealer.

B. If the returned vehicle is then made available for resale or for another lease, the manufacturer shall, prior to sale or lease, disclose in writing in a clear and conspicuous manner, on a separate piece of paper in ten-point capital type, to the Virginia dealer that this motor vehicle was returned to the manufacturer, distributor or factory branch, the nature of the defect which resulted in the return, and the condition of the motor vehicle at the time of transfer to the Virginia dealer. It shall be the responsibility of the dealer that receives this disclosure to give notice of its contents to any prospective purchaser or lessee prior to sale or lease, and to transfer the disclosure, or a copy thereof, to the next purchaser or lessee. A dealer's responsibility under this section shall cease upon the sale or lease of the affected motor vehicle to the first purchaser or lessee not for resale or lease.

C. Any manufacturer or distributor who violates this section of the Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

More Information from my last response

AUTHOR: Scott E. - (U.S.A.)

After further investigation, I learned quite a bit of information I would like to share. Mr. Duman GAVE you an extended warranty (NO COST TO YOU!), which covered your repairs. The vehicle was taken to AAMCO Transmissions, and repaired there. The repair was covered by the extended warranty, and IF it cost you anything it cost you a $50 or $100 deductable. We did nothing wrong, and went beyond what should have been done to satisfy you. As I said before, we do everything we can to satisfy our customers! Without them, we wouldn't be here.

I'm sorry for you trouble

AUTHOR: Scott E. - (U.S.A.)

It is sad that your truck had so many problems with it. I hate to hear about things like that, but before you purchased it you should have researched the vehicle. Ford trucks up to 2003 are famous for transmission trouble, where is the fault of the lot where you bought the vehicle? Nobody here ripped you off. You haven't complained about the sales process or the price you paid for the truck. The transmission rebuilt twice? Why twice? Where did you have it rebuilt the first time? They are the ones you should be mad at, they did something wrong and you had to rebuild again.

When you bought your vehicle, you were offered an extended warranty. Did you purchase it? You bought a used truck. That being said, it is almost always wise to buy the extended warranty on used vehicles, it would have saved you a lot of money in the long run on this one. Your vehicle came with a 30 day/1000 mile warranty. It was covered 50% during that time period to ensure you didn't buy a lemon (it happens). I'm assuming you opted to not buy additional coverage. Not our fault.

Working where I do in the dealership, I see a lot of people come in and out of the service department. Most of them are happy when they leave, but you can't please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard you try, and we definitely try hard to make our customers happy. I try my best to make people happy. I feel it is my reputation on the line, not just the dealerships. Nobody here is rude, blunt and to the point maybe, but not rude. The only time I have seen anyone get rude with a customer is when the customer was rude to them. Nobody has the right to treat one of the employees here bad, even if they are upset because they didn't get things to go their way, or their car needs expensive repairs. We aren't trying to "get your money". We want it, and we do what it takes to EARN your business, not take it. We have fair labor rates, parts pricing, and qualified mechanics with the proper training to fix your vehicle right.

Again, I'm sorry for your troubles. I hope you will give us another chance in the future!

I think Mike Duman Auto Sales is great!

AUTHOR: Amc - (U.S.A.)

I also bought a car from Mike Duman Auto Sales this year. I got a great deal on a 2007 Kia Sorento with under $4,000 miles. I paid far less than I would have paid at any other dealership that I had looked at. Everyone has been extremely helpful and courteous when I have needed anything since purchasing my car.

If you buy a used car that is no longer under warranty, you are accepting it "As Is". We all run that risk when we buy a used car. I'm sorry you have run into so many problems with your car, but Mike Duman Auto Sales is great! I've recommended them to anyone I know of who is looking for a car. It is worth the drive to Suffolk.

phenomena