Complaint Review: Mike's Famous Harley Davidson

• Submitted: Fri, August 03, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, September 09, 2008

• Reported By:Jessup Maryland
Mike's Famous Harley Davidson
2160 New Castle Ave New Castle, Delaware U.S.A.

Mike's Famous Harley Davidson Forced me to spend money I didn't to! Ripoff New Castle Delaware

*Consumer Comment: Harley service tech at different dealer

August 1, 2007
To Whom It May Concern:
On July 28th I dropped off my motorcycle to the service department at 'Mikes Famous Harley' In New castle, DE to have a few things looked at that were under warranty. Thinking that my warranty would run out on July 31 of 07. So on July, 30th I get a call from the service department stating that their tech could not test ride my bike because the back tire had no tread, So therefor in order to have any work done on my bike by July, 31st I would have to pay 'Mikes Famous Harley Davidson' to put a new back tire on my bike in the sum of $316.00.
So I said to the service rep is there another way that we can take care of this because I really didn't have $316.00 to spend, he replied NO this is your only option. So feeling like I had no choice I said I guess I'm going to have to let 'Mike's Famous Harley Davidson' install a new tire on the rear of my bike in order to beat my warranty deadline. And I forgot to mention I live in Maryland so there was no way that I could come and pick the bike up and return it before my warranty was up.

And its no surprise to me that the service tech could not find any problems with my bike other then the rear tire in which it will cost me $316.00. When in fact I know there is something not right with this motorcycle, I should know I have been riding it for the last two years.

Here's the problem, Monday evening on July 30th, I located my contract on the bike. And low and behold! I have an extended warranty. So my point is why didn't the service rep. see this when he pulled up my information because I know all of this information is there! And say to me Mr.Parrish you have a 3-year extended warranty on this bike and if you need more time to save some money on your tire, then you have plenty of time to bring your bike back. That would have been good customer relations! But it didn't happen that way, so I ask to speak with the service manager but he was not available at this time so I ask the service writer to have him call me tomorrow. Well the service manager called me the next day but was no help either. All that he could say to me is that you needed this tire for your safety. And there is nothing else they can do.

Now I am forced to spend $316.00 that I really don't have when I could have had a rear tire installed on this very same bike for $160.00, so I guess what Im trying to say is that after I pick my bike up on August, 4th 'Mike's Famous Harley Davidson' will never see me in there dealership again for any reason! And I'll be sure to pass on this bad experience to who ever I come in contact with and any other dealerships, rallies exc.
My only hope is that no one else will have to experience such a stressful ordeal with Mikes Famous Harley. So therefore I intend to contact the Better Business Bureau and the local papers and whom ever else that will listen.

P.S Quite frankly I'm pretty sure that my next motorcycle will not be a Harley Davidson.

John
Jessup, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/03/2007 07:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mikes-Famous-Harley-Davidson/New-Castle-Delaware-19720/Mikes-Famous-Harley-Davidson-Forced-me-to-spend-money-I-didnt-to-Ripoff-New-Castle-Dela-265126. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mike's Famous Harley Davidson

Harley service tech at different dealer

AUTHOR: Capnshep - (U.S.A.)

I've been working for Harley dealerships for the past ten years. I read this report, and had to respond, not in defense of 'Mike's Famous H-D,' but only to clarify one point of interest: The complainant noted that he checked his records and 'found that he had an extended warranty' and was curious as to why the dealer's service rep didn't take note of it.

All H-D dealerships use a proprietary networking system so that all dealerships across the country can communicate efficiently. We all use this system to communicate with The Company and vice versa. This is of particular importance to the complaint in question because, while we can tell whether or not a bike is still under factory warranty, there is no way the dealer network can tell us if the bike is covered under an extended warranty.

The extended warranty mentioned is no different from most automotive ones: most are not offered directly through The Company. They are underwritten by (Factory authorized) outside agencies, and thus cannot be communicated through our dealer network. It is generally up to the customer to inform us whether or not he/she carries an extended warranty policy so that we can appropriately file the claim through said agency.

So, all being said, the circumstances of John's ordeal are very unfortunate, but in all honesty, had he come to our dealership, I can almost guarantee that the events would have played out exactly the same: We'd have noticed the need for a rear tire (a liability issue), called Mr. Parrish for authorization to install the new tire (in order to test ride the vehicle to check for possible ridability concerns). We never would have thought to check for ESP (extended service preogram), as Mr. Parrish didn't know to tell us about it.

As for the failure to find any warranty-related concerns, that's a question of the competency of the technician working on the bike and the dealership employing him/her.

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Since, I have picked up my motorcycle from " Mike's Famous Harley" on Aug.4th I am happy to say that after talking to freinds and other riders that a freind of mine was thinking of buying a new road king from "Mike's Famous Harley" geuss what! not happening, also the freind that road with me to pick up my bike, his wife ask him to buy her a tie short from Mike's geuss what! not happening. What a great feeling it is when " Mikes Famous Harley" loses money! So in the future when these companies provide bad services or rip off people, Remember 'Word OF Mouth is a powerful tool.