Complaint Review: Miles Shumilak

• Updated: Thu, August 09, 2012

• Reported By: JWT — San Diego California United States of America
Miles Shumilak
3528 Mission Blvd. San Diego California 92109 Internet United States of America

Miles Shumilak The List Mag / Higher Minds Miles Shumilak Con Artist - TheListMag is a Scam , Internet

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Explanation ...

Miles Shumilak is a classic con artist.  He is incredibly friendly over the phone and in person and seemed smart enough, but will jump at the opportunity to screw you over.  He screwed my business out of a listing on his site, and totally ignored my attempts at resolving things.  After chatting with many others (4 now!) who've had bad experiences with Miles, I feel duped.  Some were screwed out of just $25 for the listing, and others screwed out of several hundred dollars.  In my case, I was just ignored after paying, with no services rendered.  Promises promises, ignored emails, etc.  I thought it was just laziness, but others said he just spends the money recklessly (bars & drugs (cocaine specifically)) and then ignores customer service calls & emails, blocks social media, etc.  Do not work with Miles!  He has no principles.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2012 12:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Miles-Shumilak/internet/Miles-Shumilak-The-List-Mag-Higher-Minds-Miles-Shumilak-Con-Artist-TheListMag-is-a-Sca-924878. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Miles Shumilak

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Explanation ...

AUTHOR: Miles Shumilak - ()

This is Miles Shumilak. I need to take responsibility for these old complaints about The LIST Magazine. I don't expect to win everyone's heart over but the least I can do is explain ...

The LIST was a print mag I created in my twenties, my first attempt at running a business (with zero training or experience). At that point I had been in a band for ten years, eventually sponsored by Lamborghini and touring the country, good times but still a starving artist. Intrigued by entertainment media and entrepreneurship, I took the leap and tried running my own mag. For years I made no money, chasing advertisers etc.. Eventually I had an 'aha' moment and realized I could offer micro-ads to indie artists like myself, and build a national promotional network that we would all benefit from. It was a ton of work to communicate with hundreds of bands, but it felt good to support musicians and $25 seemed extremely reasonable.

The PROBLEM is that I was extremely naive about the workload I was committing to for such a cheap price. It quickly became overwhelming to edit so much content for so many bands who were barely paying anything. I couldn't keep up and people started getting pissed, understandably on their part. What no one realizes is that 95% of my bands were happy and successfully taken care of, but it became a massive business and I got way behind schedule, hence these angry comments. I DEFINITELY f***** up, but my goal was never to 'scam' people.

CONSIDER THIS: if I was trying to to be shady, I certainly wouldn't have friended everyone on facebook, shared my personal phone number, email, and life story with all these artists ... so they could easily put me on blast and ruin my reputation. While some of you got left hanging for $25, look at the the damage I've done to my name. It's extremely embarrassing, I'm deeply ashamed, but now I have to deal with it. At this point presently, I've already resolved and/or refunded most of these complaints, but unfortunately the internet is not conducive to people making positive comments, as anyone who's been on youtube can attest. Tempers and words get out of control very quickly when someone is sitting safely home alone on their laptop.

Bottom line is I bit off way more than I could chew at that point in my life, I got way overwhelmed, and The LIST failed. I was just a broke ambitious band guy who had a good idea that worked way too well and too fast. I'm GENUINELY SORRY, obviously I lost in the end and it'll take years (or forever) for me to fix my reputation. My friends in 'real life' love me, I'm a positive and intelligent person who made some stupid mistakes. I've learned from them and am now successfully supporting artists around the world. If you haven't already been refunded, text me at 858.771.0131 and I'll respond promptly. I'm not perfect, but I'm not evil. If you've never bit off more than you can chew ... you're not hungry enough.