Complaint Review: Modern Communications

• Updated: Wed, May 14, 2014

• Reported By: Jehosaphet — Bellevue Washington United States of America
Modern Communications
2415 N Monroe Street Tallahassee,, Florida United States of America

Modern Communications Destroyer of trust, E-commerce and cellular phones. Specializing in the phone part though. Tallahassee Florida

*General Comment: Crane is the best.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Grossly inaccurate complaint

I thought I'd write this up for any consumer who is smart enough to not take someone's claim at face value.  Case in point is the claim that someone can help you fix your cellular phone, which I accepted as truth from a young man named, "Crane" who runs his own little company out of Florida he calls, "Modern Communications".  I sent him a brand new G1 phone that had its screen cracked just a couple of days after its purchase, but was otherwise mint and I'd planned on selling on Ebay for $300.

In the same package, I also included the replacement screen which I'd bought off of Ebay for $35.  It was about a week later that Crane called to inform me that this part was malfunctioned and he'd need to order me another one.  I told him that it wasn't a problem, but asked him to send the malfunctioned part back so that I could get a refund for it.

Another week passed until I was made fully aware of the ineptitude of this person after he called to inform me that my phone was finished but there was one minor problem.  The new screen he'd ordered for me (and installed) was chipped.  Why in the world he'd go through the effort of installing a chipped screen I'll never know, but, "It's not that big" he assured me.  He also mad ea point of telling me how much time he'd put into the phone already, seeming to insinuate that it would be a hassle if I found this 'minor' flaw to be unacceptable.

I felt a little foolish in having to explain that since the sole purpose of my sending him the phone was to make it look new again, and since I was paying for this part, I'd rather have one that didn't have a chip in it.

Having to point out something that should have been so obvious was nothing less than bizarre and it made me realize I was sealing with someone who was a little 'off'.

Skip forward another 4-5 weeks and I've got the phone back.  The new screen he'd installed wasn't properly adhered to the phone, leaving a bubble under it.  An obviously damaged universal charger was sent in place of the original (which I can only assume he lost) and one of the screws inside the phone was missing while another looked to be filed down.  The phone's casing wouldn't stay snapped together anymore, so the phone was literally coming apart at the seams.  Essentially, the phone had all but been destroyed.

It was far too late to get back the $35 for the part he couldn't be bothered to send back, so all told I spent $170 for a phone that he'd devalued by about $150.  My total loss was about $300.

I politely informed Crane of my predicament and asked for at least a partial refund, to which he responded by informing me that my only option was to send the phone back to him.  Well no thanks!  Not only did I have no recourse should he simply decide to keep the phone, but I had plenty of reason to believe that he'd somehow cause more damage to the unit.

My point is that this man clearly demonstrated that he doesn't have the faculties necessary to be repairing high-end phones as he seems to be in over his head.  Yet he's got youtube videos up and is actively advertising his services.

I'm not writing this for retribution, but because I hope that someone thinks to google, "Modern Communications" before sending their phone to him, runs across this, and thinks twice about it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2010 01:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Modern-Communications/Tallahassee-Florida-32304/Modern-Communications-Destroyer-of-trust-E-commerce-and-cellular-phones-Specializing-i-549853. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Modern Communications

#1 General Comment

Crane is the best.

AUTHOR: ManyVoices - ()

My experence with Crane was vastly different than this.

I decided to google Modern Communications for the heck of it after doing business with them.

He was straightforward, simple, and easy to deal with.

I knew how much it would cost, up front. It was fixed faster than they could ship me a new phone. He assured me that if the parts went out withhin a few days he would look at it again.

My phone looked absolutly new; When I left it with him I thought it would never work again.

He works magic from his shop in the Tallahassee Mall.

He is probably the highest volume small business in that place. Lots of people go to him to get on pre-paid service like trac-fone but often more reliable in the woods.

I would reccomend him to a friend if your phone needs to be fixed/replaced or you want super cheap Unlimited+Data cell plans. He has cases and stuff, too.

I hope someone decides to google Modern Communications and reads MY review.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Grossly inaccurate complaint

AUTHOR: Modern Communications - (United States of America)

I'm not really sure why I am dignifying this with a response, but I suppose keeping my name respectable is worthwhile.

This customer did contact me regarding mailing in their phone. He is correct in stating that he sent in a defective part. He failed to include the internal LCD that was damaged as well.  At that time, I offered to mail it back with no charge to him. Good quality G1 parts were on backorder about 15 days out (as he was told) and I didn't want him waiting for up to a month to get his phone back. He was insistent about getting the phone repaired and waiting. Eventually, the parts were in and his phone was repaired.The total part cost was $100 for a new LCD and digitizer and he agreed to pay a discounted rate of $135 including return shipping via UPS.  He was notified and told me he couldn't afford the $135 for another week. I agreed to wait and sent his phone out after payment was made. The phone took 5 days to ship from FL to CA. His lack of funds and the long travel distance accounted for final 2 weeks of delay.

The last time I spoke with this customer, his major complaint was that he couldn't sell the phone for the price he wanted. He was "planning to sell it as new and couldn't since the phone showed signs of being repaired." He was offered a full refund if he just agreed to return the parts, but he did not feel that was acceptable. It is unrealistic to expect a phone to look brand new, when it is not a brand new phone. It is also dishonest to try and sell a phone as brand new when it is not.

He was offered a fully refund and he would have only been out of $4.95 to ship the parts priority. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what this person expected to happen. Overall, I feel as though I'm a reasonable person dealing with an extremely unreasonable person.  Anyone with any more questions is more than welcome to email me or call. We are easily found on Google.

Thanks