Complaint Review: Modern Gas

Modern Gas
P.O. Box 201 Reeders, Pennsylvania United States of America

Modern Gas Propane Price Gouging Reeders, Pennsylvania

*General Comment: ENERGYNORTH PROPANE, NH IS A RIPOFF

We had a gas delivery on October 6th. We've been customers for years. I was completely shocked when I looked at my bill and saw that I was being charged $3.21 a gallon for residential heating propane. Heating oil and propane have gone DOWN in the past year.

Their prices have always been high, but this was just the last straw. I called several other companies in my area, they are charging around $2.09 per gallon as of this writing. I checked the Dept. of Energy website, and the average price for propane is $2.04 a gallon, again- as of this writing- down substantially from last year.

I called up Modern to complain. I got a litany of excuses for the high price, including the fact that the delivery guy had to walk a few extra steps because the cooking and heating tanks are on opposite ends of my house.

I finally just told them that this was blatant price gouging, and they didn't like that. I was transferred to a supervisor, Debbie, who finally agreed to lower the price. The "lower" price was $2.55 a gallon, which is still a rip-off. It's still .46 cents a gallon higher than most of the other local suppliers. On top of that, that new "LOW" price was ONLY for THIS delivery. They reserve the right to charge me whatever they feel like on the next one.

It's not like we can call another company and get the tank filled. We're locked into a contract with them because we're using their tank. We will have to cancel the service and find another provider.

This is fuel used for heat, and it gets damned cold here in northeast Pennsylvania. This is EXTORTION. There is no other word for it.

There ought to be a law that protects consumers from this kind of price gouging on heating fuel. This is an outrage. There is governmental regulation on other types of rates, why not on propane? It's not like you can go without heat in the winter, and natural gas- which IS regulated- is NOT available here in the Pocono's.

DO NOT USE Modern Gas!!!!!!!!!! They will rape you on prices!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2009 04:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Modern-Gas/Reeders-Pennsylvania-18352/Modern-Gas-Propane-Price-Gouging-Reeders-Pennsylvania-507050. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Modern Gas

#1 General Comment

ENERGYNORTH PROPANE, NH IS A RIPOFF

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

Report this gas company to your states attorney general.  I complained about my gas company, ENERGYNORTH in NH, to the PUC but they stated that, unfortunately, the PUC does not regulate gas companies (huh?) but, anyway, I was redirected to the AG
to whom I filed my complaint.   The gas co. responded within the stated 20 days (just barely) and, of course pointed the blame totally at us (of course).   they shut us off, lied about the original bill amount we owed (which was the reason for my complaint in the first place), charged us for gas that they delivered after shutting us off (we are metered and don't pay for the gas in the tank...only the gas that goes through the meter so they tried to double bill us...or I should say, they DID double bill us as we had to pay what they said the total was (with these gas deliveries added in there)  in order to have our gas turned back on 12/17/09....yes!!!! December 17 in NH in freezing temps.  My water pipes froze and one burst...what a mess and their tech did not get our furnace running or my stove working, BUT, we had hot water for a few hours before the pipes burst and then the water had to be shut off.  So, now, not only did we not have heat, a working stove or hot water, but we had no water at all.  We finally had a friend get the furnace to work on 12/18 (the day of my fathers funeral) because ENERGYNORTH did not have any tech free to come out again and I was told to hire a plumbing/heating company to come out which we could not afford.

AND, they already added the $120 turn on fee to the bill that we had to pay, but guess what?  they charged this again BEFORE they would turn the gas back on...THUS, we were doubled billed for the turn on fee and for a delivery of gas after the shut off)
I am still fighting them after their unsatisfactory response to my complaint in December 2009.  so far have not  heard a new response to my rebuttal in January 2010.  I am anxiously awaiting their reply, if any, or for the AG to nail them!  bunch of pompous asses after living here for 28 years and using their so called services.

I talked to a co-worker today and she too has ENERGYNORTH and had a shut off for a bill of 20-30 dollars and had to pay a deposit and turn on fee.  She was also double billed for the turn on feel but didn't bother to complain.  some people don't have the time or energy to complain, but I am totally sick of these companies that feel that they can do what they want and we, the consumers, just have to shut up and pay.  Anyway, good luck to all of us in a bind and at the mercy of our gas/utility company's for the basic necessities.