Complaint Review: Modern Moving Co

• Submitted: Thu, August 01, 2002
  • Updated: Thu, August 01, 2002

• Reported By:Dover DE
Modern Moving Co
34200 W. Nine Mile Rd Farmington, Michigan U.S.A.

Modern Moving Co ripoff Farmington Michigan

After researching many moving companies, I decided to go with Modern Moving because the price was right, even after over-guesstimating my move. They made the promise that they would be there on time to pick my things up and they would deliver it to my destination at the time I specified.

I was moving from a small four room apartment in Georgia to a small house in Delaware. I am the only member of my household and a senior citizen. I was relocating because of a job offer in Delaware.

I spoke with two people at Modern Moving, Ali and Eli. Ali booked the move and was very helpful and pleasant. At least I thought so at the time. She however seemed to have disappeared after booking my move, so I had to deal with Eli who told me so many lies that I was totally frustrated before the truck even got there!

They were scheduled to pick up my things on May 8th. When they didn't show, I called and talked with Eli who told me that the drivers had a problem with the truck and he promised that they would be there the next day. They didn't show up then either! In fact they never showed up untill May 12th! They then promised delivery in Delaware on the 17th, but didn't show up untill June 1st!

Ok, I can deal with the lies and delays. (Lies being - Eli: "I promise that they will pick up your things by 6pm tonight (May 10th).) Whe they did finally deliver my possessions, many boxes were banged in or crushed. They had placed my apartment sized dryer on TOP of a box marked FRAGILE in huge letters! I had many broken items and they "lost" my dog's show crate, smashed beyond repair a lawyers bookcase and lost a large quilt.

My bill that was estimated at $1,200.00 was now $2,283.00. I had a balance of $1,296.31 that I had to sign the credit card reciept for before they would unload the truck. (I had to pay a deposit before they would even come to the apartment in Ga.).

I protested the payment on my credit card, talked with Elsie Bower (or Brower, not sure), and she sent me claim forms which I filled out and mailed back. Now my credit card company is saying that I must pay this bill because they recieved a letter from Modern Moving stating that I never returned the form!

I just don't know where to turn now. Do I have to pay the full price to these incompetant people and just eat the damage they did? This is redicules that companies like this can get away with out and out highway robbery just because they are a company!

Someone somewhere has to stop these people, and it has to start by NOT using them! It's the only way to put them out of business!

Beverly
Dover, Delaware

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2002 11:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Modern-Moving-Co/Farmington-Michigan-48335/Modern-Moving-Co-ripoff-Farmington-Michigan-25893. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Modern Moving Co