Complaint Review: Modern Muscle

• Updated: Fri, February 21, 2014

• Reported By: BMXPERT — Huntley Illinois
Modern Muscle
10122 Bode St, Unit C, Plainfield, IL 60585 plainfield, Illinois USA

Modern Muscle CRACKED MY ENGINE BLOCK AND HID THE EVIDENCE, JEEP STILL HAS PROBLEMS! plainfield Illinois

*Author of original report: Resolution Possibly Forthcoming

*Author of original report: Further Subject Matter Experts weigh in....

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Modern Muscle's Official Statement

Early in 2013, I commissioned modern muscle (MM) to build out my ’08 Jeep SRT8 with a 426 stroker upping the boost. Immediately when I picked up my Jeep, the starter seemed to have a dead spot as it was acting intermittently when engaging.  I thought it was strange as it was operating perfectly before the build.  Five days later, after I was nearly stranded from it not engaging, I pulled the starter to reveal a CRACK IN THE BLOCK near a major fastener and locating pin for the transmission. Upon looking at the build photos I was sent, I saw that sure enough, MM cracked off a piece of the block rendering the fastener useless and allowing for only about 60-70% locating pin engagement. I didn’t commission MM to damage my block and hide it. If I wouldn't have pulled out the starter, I would NEVER have known my property was damaged by them. [continued below]....

..... It made me immediately question as to how many more things are buried in the build I don’t know about? I met with the owners and they explained it would be fine which I had no choice but to accept since the motor was in the vehicle running, else I wouldn’t have accepted it and told them so as well. I also explained at the meeting with the owners that if they would’ve told me, I would’ve offered to go halves on the cost of the block. MM willfully hid my damaged block, proving culpability in my eyes. I never signed off accepting that damage either.

Ever since that issue, I constantly had questions about everything else that MM has touched. I ended up being stranded about 6 times requiring a tow for most of those times. Still wanting to make the "marriage" work as MM had been the only ones deep inside my vehicle, and still trying to get done with this build to the end to iron out all their problems, I had MM install a new Southern Hot Rod (SHR) built transmission with a 1000 RWHP rating as well. Ever since the install of this new transmission, I’ve experienced horrible noises at certain acceleration speeds. When I took the Jeep back to MM and drove with the owner and his technician to experience the noise/vibration, I was basically turned away as they said “it’s fine”, and they “are in my corner” if something happens (even though this IS happening and it IS still under warranty).

After the cracked block I found, there were continuous problems with the fuel system, tune, and modified factory Magnuson idler bracket that I’ve had to repair and pay again for on my own, but now it's at least done correctly.  I fear that if MM touches my vehicle again, I will be stranded more and be opened up for potentially more damage. I will never go there again, and I wish I never did. I would never recommend this shop to anyone. It is an absolute shame that I spent over $30K with modern muscle and now I have a vehicle that I am afraid to drive, with a cracked block, and a transmission making a horrible noise. I still wonder about how the internals were installed as nearly everything else MM has touched I’ve had problems with. Sadly, as surreal as it sounds, it’s all 100% true. Even as of this writing, you can visit their website, click on “features cars” on the right, and choose the black Jeep, that’s mine. In the engine build pics, you can see the ear cracked off in a few photos.

Think about this; If I can spend $30K and be as patient I had been for a year and STILL end up with unaddressed problems, how much money are any of you going to want to spend with them? Unless you're made out of money and can fund their mistakes, you patronize MM at your own peril.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2014 07:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Modern-Muscle/plainfield-Illinois-60585/Modern-Muscle-CRACKED-MY-ENGINE-BLOCK-AND-HID-THE-EVIDENCE-JEEP-STILL-HAS-PROBLEMS-plai-1125581. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Modern Muscle

Resolution Possibly Forthcoming

AUTHOR: BMXPERT - ()

There has been third party communications between Modern Muscle (MM) and myself about the possibility of coming to a resolution in this disagreement.  Modern Muscle has strongly asked that I remove all reviews, my FB page and separate web page detailing the issues of our disagreement before any kind of resolution is discussed.  I am more than willing to comply with Modern Muscle’s demands and come to an amicable resolution.  As of 3/30/14, I have done the following:

1. Removed the review thread on thechicagogarage.com

2. Removed the review on cherokeesrt8.com

3. Removed the review on YELP.com

4. Took down the FB page named “Modern Muscle Hustle”

5. Took down the web page modernhustle.net

I am posting this update on www.ripoffreport.com as it is Ripoff Report’s policy not to ever take a report down, even when asked (which I have).  In lieu of this, I am informing all who read this that Modern Muscle looks to be willing to negotiate once they confirm my compliance with their requests.

I look forward to reaching this private resolution amicably, and once it is reached, I will confirm with another update as well to prove that Modern Muscle does and will stand behind their work.

Further Subject Matter Experts weigh in....

AUTHOR: BMXPERT - ()

A few more points on these issues have surfaced:

1. I have contacted the owner/operator of Southern Hotrod in Louisiana, a country wide known late model Mopar specialist who manufactures and hand assembles the exact transmission I have in my vehicle.  I would consider the owner a “subject matter expert” in this field.  I inquired to his opinion on this transmission noise and block damage.  In short, the owner, in his words, was “speechless” when he saw the cracked block pictures.   With respect to the noise, the owner explained that it absolutely needs to be investigated.  When I gave the owner the build sheet on my Jeep, he explained that there is no reason with the installed components, I should have ANY strange repeatable noises/vibrations, and recommended that it not be driven if possible, with further recommendations to check a few items that would require a shop to perform.

2. Further, I went to the JEEP SRT8 internet forum to ask for opinions on the cracked block, looking for additional “subject matter expert” opinions.  The owner operator of Paramount Performance Products that is another late model Mopar specialist who hand builds high horse power rated transmissions in the same vein of Southern HotRod, gave a short opinion as follows:

Pull the engine and do it right. Not a huge deal, I would run a welded block in my rig:)
Now the issue is that it has caused a driveline misalignment...VERY BAD.
We see issues when a dowel pin is left out of the engine and the tranny is bolted up.
Cracked converter stator, oil pump failure, forward parts in the transmission get damaged.

3. Lastly, I consulted with a professional balancing and vibration company with an ISO9001:2008 and      AS9100:2009   Rev C Registration in the dynamic balancing of aerospace rotating components such as shafts, gears, and specialty applications performing services worldwide.  The CEO of this specialty company was gracious enough to provide me with his opinion as another “subject matter expert”. I will attach this letter to this complaint as well.  In short, their recommendation is to have the block either repaired or replaced and further investigate the noise/vibration of the entire assembly.

Letter from Rotating Equipment Specialists CEO on his observations:

February 25th 2014

Larry Sliwa

Fermilab

P.O. Box 500

Mail Station 210

Batavia IL 60510

Larry,

I have reviewed the documents you forwarded regarding your transmission vibration/noise problem.

The vibration/noise from the transmission you are concerned about should definitely be investigated.

As discussed, we can do a vibration analysis on the transmission and engine to determine the source of the problem and possible corrective actions.  From a vibration standpoint, the cracked block would be of some concern.  If the engine rotating assembly, flex plate and flywheel have been precision balanced my concern would be minimized.  For me to determine if a precision balance of these components has been done I would need to see balancing documentation.  This documentation would include “Bob Weight” worksheets and balancing machine printouts.  This is the type of documentation that we, as do most shops provide for any balancing work.

Even if our analysis determines that the vibration problem is not a structural issue due to the cracked block I would still be concerned.

In the documentation you sent me there were responses from Modern Muscle to your concerns about multiple issues.  Since we had discussed the vibration/noise issue and your concerns that it was related to the cracked engine block I focused on these parts of the document.  In the document Modern Muscle makes a statement about “The clamping force of the incomplete fastener hole will no longer be present in whole, but due to the excess of fasteners inherent of the factory design, it is easily deemed negligible.” They then go on to state “To be clear, and to give perspective, a grade 5 M10 bolt can withstand 3 tons of shear force before yielding. There are 10 of these bolts holding the two assemblies together. It would require a force of 30 tons (60,000 lbs) to yield this assembly. By diminishing the capacity of one single bolt resumably reduces this force capacity by 3 tons. This would leave an effective force of 54,000 pounds of force to create a yield. This force is absolutely impossible to achieve even when considering the greatest of shock load multipliers

The above statements appear to relate to the properties and strengths of the bolts but this may not be the only factor. The number of fasteners and locations should also be part of the engineering of the whole system.  This would be used in calculations in regards to the design of the block.  Missing one bolt from the engine block may be more significant then they realize. I would be concerned about a missing bolt under normal conditions but now it appears that the horsepower has almost doubled which raises my level of concern significantly.  Also, the above statement from Muscle Motors about “excess of fasteners due to inherent design” does not reduce my concern.  I would want to see what Chrysler engineering used as the factor of safety for the design of the block and transmission mounting holes.  Remember, automotive manufactures are always trying to reduce costs and wouldn’t be using 10 bolts if they could use 9.

The easiest way determine how critical the crack/missing bolt is would require information from Chrysler.  I don’t believe that they would give us the engineering drawings but there may be someone there who could answer this question for us.  This may take some time and there would be cost involved.  However, the cost to get the information would be far less than doing the analysis ourselves.

I would like to add something from a personal perspective if you don’t mind.  We always stand by our work and if we make a mistake we correct it at our expense.  We never try to hide it or ignore it.

We are all human and everyone makes mistakes.  How you correct those mistakes is what is important. From our discussion and what I read in the documents you sent me I would be extremely unhappy with this situation.  Modern Muscle cracked your block, didn’t tell you about it and now will not replace it.

I don’t care if it is going to cause a problem or not.  They broke your property and are responsible for it.

Sorry to go on that little rant but I stand behind everything we do and just don’t understand companies that don’t.

Please let me know if you would like to have a vibration analysis done on your Jeep.  We can schedule it at your convenience.

Sincerely

In summary, I have one (1) verbal opinion, and one (1) “forum specific” written opinion from subject matter experts that are known throughout the country, along with an additional subject matter expert with a registered professional company performing services worldwide that recommend the block be repaired along with entire rotating assembly be investigated and corrected for the existing noise/vibration.

Again, I find MM’s rebuttal in both issues to be 100% unacceptable.  Further, MM has continued to defend their decision in hiding their mistake with my cracked engine block which everyone BUT MM thinks is acceptable, and frankly, everyone consulted thinks MM’s arguments on both issues are absurd.

I will continue to pursue corrective action for which MM is at fault until resolved.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Modern Muscle's Official Statement

AUTHOR: Modern Muscle - ()

Modern Muscle has gone to extensive lengths in an attempt to resolve this situation with the client.  The statements made here do not accurately reflect this or the facts.  We will not attempt to resolve or refute any of the allegations in a public format.

Modern Muscle is always committed to customer satisfaction and exceeding expectations.  Our dedicated, talented and passionate people here care above all about delivering a superior product and experience for you, our customers.  Providing high quality service and satisfaction are what we pride ourselves on each and every day.