Complaint Review: Monitronics

• Updated: Mon, September 16, 2013

• Reported By: carylton — poulsbo Washington
Monitronics
Dallas, Texas USA

Monitronics Don't do business with Monitronics until you read the fine print. They want money for doing nothing! Dallas Texas

*UPDATE Employee: Monitronics Cares

*Consumer Comment: Monitronics Security Ripoff

I am currently arguing with Monitronics.  It is a fact that I signed a contract with a company called DEVCON - which was bought out by Monitronics some months ago.

I signed that contract for a security system and the monitoring of it.   That contract is seven pages, most of it in a very small font.  I got an excellent sales pitch from a Devcon sales man who at no time pointed out the longevity of this contract.  I don't really know why I bothered to do this as the savings were about 5 bucks a month, but I was trying to save every dollar at the time so... I did.  (NET LOSS is several 100's of dollars.)

At the time I signed it, my house was available for sale. Do you think I might have signed such a contract if I thought that I'd be locked into it for a period of 36 months?  Hardly! I sold my house on August 22nd after a period of about 20 months I guess. I now don't live there. I sold it and thought that my responsibilities to that house were complete

Monitronics wish to hold me to that contract even though they now have to do nothing for ME or that property but maintain that I owe them for another 16 months. In conversation with me they assure me that they will report me to a debt collection agency if I don't pay it.

In conversation with me they are willing to take a 50% settlement.  So I get to give them the sum of nearly $290 dollars for them to do nothing except NOT screw up my excellent credit rating. This feels like a form of blackmail to me! DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this company if you don't have time to read seven pages of fine print.

I never will again even though my next home WILL require a security system. I told them I would write this report.   Their executive dude will respond here but he KNOWS that everything I've said is accurate. Go ahead!  Let's hear your side of it.  He'll say, but a contract is a contract... till he's blue in the face. You bought me as a customer and now you need your pound of flesh right? Disgusted!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2013 03:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Monitronics/Dallas-Texas-75381-4530/Monitronics-Dont-do-business-with-Monitronics-until-you-read-the-fine-print-They-want-1084997. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Monitronics

Monitronics Cares

AUTHOR: Monitronics Cares - ()

Dear Valued Customer,

I understand your concerns and we want to ensure that we do everything that is possible to resolve the situation. In some cases the offer may not always be agreed upon but we will do our best to find a solution to the issue. We urge all of our customers to review the terms of their agreements so that they can fully understand all aspects of their home protection. Thank you for providing Monitronics with your feedback. Please contact me at 1-888-758-5900 ext 3042 for immediate review of your account.

John Kyser
Executive Response Team

Monitronics Security Ripoff

AUTHOR: Dave - ()

I totally agree with what everyone is saying about Monitronics. I first signed up with a company called AlarmCo. They "Hustled" me in what they said was a 24 mos contract but I just read the fine print and now I'm locked into a 39 mos contract.

Next comes a buyout of AlarmCo and the next company is called Pinnnacle Security. Been paying my $49.99 mos payment no problem. Now comes another buyout, (seeing the pattern?) Monitronics Security. I called thinking my 2 yr contract was up and low and behold this is where I find out my contract isn't up for another 15 mos. I was pissed!!

I think "most" alarm companies are just in a big circle of ripoff's for the consumer. Haven't even used the alarm on the house, not 1 TIME. So please anyone who is thinking about getting an alarm don't use Monitronics. Dig deep into the word of mouth of friends or anyone who hasn't had any problems with a company. I really don't think an alarm is necessary on a house when you got nosey neighbors like my wife who watches everything. lol

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC