Complaint Review: Monro Muffler Brake

• Submitted: Fri, February 27, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, October 28, 2006

• Reported By:Arlington Virginia
Monro Muffler Brake
1121 West Broad Street Falls Church, Virginia U.S.A.

Monro Muffler Brake ripoff I'm positive that something occured while my brakes were being repaired, It's in Worst condition! Falls Church Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Hard to resist

*Consumer Comment: some places and some mechanics are better than others, just as some customers are more reasonable than others.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Did the technicians have a valid ASE?

*Author of original report: A word from Lexus

*UPDATE Employee: not possible for us to have damaged the parts

*Author of original report: The Truth

*UPDATE Employee: shocked to read of Gabriel's description

*Author of original report: Filed Civil Claim

On Saturday, February 21, 2004, I visited the 1121 West Broad Street Location in Falls Church, Va to have my brakes replaced. They asked me what the problem was and I told them I heard a squealing noise, indicating I needed to change the brakes. One of the Employees moved my vehicle from the parking spot to a bay. They reviewed the automobile and came to a conclusion that I needed brake pads.

The brake pads were ordered and picked up and installed. The 1st Test drive was by the Employee...Joe is his name if i recall correctly. Joe immediately came in and stated "They're too low, I told you you should take the brakes off one at a time" he was stating this to the Manager. The Manager said "Pull it back in and let's bleed them again".

The second test drive I was involved with the Store manager. He said "See if the brake pedal is too low for you, most people's are like this. Some people like their pedals high and some like them low; tell me what you think". I immediately stated this is Too Low, Please adjust. He stated that the Master Cylinder/Brake Box was twice the size as in a "Normal Car" than in yours. We bled them about 5 or 6 times and its still low.

So they attempted to fix it again. So the Manager went back to work on it. The other guy told me " I told them to let me Finish my job, when I start something I like finishing it on my own, they want to butt in and do a rush job, I'm telling you this, if anything wrong with it, it's not my fault!" On the 3rd trip, the Manager test drove and was telling me about the Master Cylinder/Brake Box and how complex it was compaired to "Normal Cars". He kept driving almost making it back to the shop without me testing it. I said, "Wait, i want to test drive".

We switched, and I said "This isn't too much better, Can you make it the same as when I bought it in?", then he said Well, we don't really have the right equipment to bleed them with and I'm not sure if we caused a problem, but go get it checked out at the dealer and We're responsible for anything wrong with anything related to the MasterCylinder/Brake box, or Brakes. I will reImburse you the Bleeding, Labor"....this was deducted from the bill.

I immediately went to Lexus to have them Diagnose the problem and they found that it was the Brake Booster/Assy Accumulator. They stated that my Rear brakes were not active and there was fluid around some parts indicating it may have caused the damage by the part Sticking. The Lexus Agent open the hood of a car and showed me the part that was damaged and showed where it was sticking.

I'm positive that something occured while my brakes were being repaired, because the Car is Not in the condition as it was presented before the attempted brake repair. It's in Worst condition! The Part that was damaged cost $2,700

Gabriel
Arlington, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2004 06:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Monro-Muffler-Brake/Falls-Church-Virginia-22204/Monro-Muffler-Brake-ripoff-Im-positive-that-something-occured-while-my-brakes-were-being-82160. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Monro Muffler Brake

Hard to resist

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

1-Monroe had a duty to REFUSE service on a vehicle, if the customer declined ANY of the recommended repair. If Monroe had done this, the company would not be involved in this matter.

2-The customer KNEW something was wrong when he/she went to Monroe. He/she probably went to other shops first, and was told "buh-bye" when he/she refused complete repairs.

3-Customer now thinks he/she has a claim against Monroe. He/she cannot get another shop, nor a dealership to pin the blame on Monroe. This pretty much blows his/her case out of the water.

4-The DC Metropolitan area is very sue-happy. There are more Attorneys in those relatively few square miles than on the rest of the planet, COMBINED!

5-If the brakes are not bled in the proper sequence, they will NOT bleed out.

6-Installing pads will NOT harm the rest of the system, nor will they harm ANY of it. I have heard that nonsense for years about contaminated fluid damaging the ABS units. I've got news for you all. The fluid in the system is all the same. The fluid passes back and forth EVERY time you apply the brakes. Don't believe me? When you push the pedal, fluid is pushed out of the master cylinder. When you release the pedal, the fluid goes back into the resevoir. Take the cap(s) off and watch. See the little geyser of fluid? If the fluid didn't go both ways, the brakes would either NEVER stop you, or would NEVER release. Again...DUH! If any of the fluid is contaminated, ALL of the fluid is contaminated.

I proved this to another mechanic once, using dye. I put the dye in an expanded caliper, and bled the caliper by pushing the piston in. I attached the hose(after letting it drip(no air), and pushed the pedal a dozen times. The dye was everywhere. It was in both calipers now, along with both wheel cylinders, and of course, the master cylinder. Out of nearly 3 decades of repairing cars/trucks/etc, I have NEVER had one come back because of brake problems.

Which brings me to the end...

Monroe is not at fault, for damaging the system. Monroe IS at fault for doing ANY repeir at all, without being authorized to do a COMPLETE repair.

Gabriel is at fault for being CHEAP, and not authorizing Monroe to properly repair his/her car. Gabriel KNEW there was more than just pads required, and kept looking for a shop that wanted the money bad enough to do a partial repair. He found one.

I hope Monroe will learn something from this episode. Fix it right, or don't fix it at all.

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

Gabriel,

I work in the automotive franchising sector. Monroe, Midas, Meineke, Goodyear and Firestones are reputable establishments with competant employees. Having said that, some places and some mechanics are better than others, just as some customers are more reasonable than others.
You brought your Lexus into the shop because you were experiencing a brake problem; indicating that you knew something was wrong with the car. Mearly putting pads on the vehicle had no effect on your booster/accumulator. This problem already existed.
Think about it..Why would the shop intentionally want to destroy your booster/accumulator...This is a service that 99.99% of all repair facilities would rather not touch. In fact, the obvious response would be "Take it back to the dealer."

Monroe didn't break your car (you caused that by everyday stopping and going).
Do the right thing and apologize to Monroe for attacking them and causing them to spend money and time defending themselves aginst a ridiculous lawsuit. Too many of Americans jump up down, taking no responsibility for your own actions, and immediately seek legal retribution upon others. If I had to guess, that Lexus was an older model with many miles on the odometer.
Monro had absolutely no reason to break your car because that isn't even a part or servie that they could offer inside their shop.
If I had to guess, and, Gabriel, you know deep down this to be true, you initially brought your vehicle into Monroe because you thought they would be cheaper than the dealership. Now you think that because your older model Lexus has finally given out, a discount shop should buy you a new part.

Fact is, when you get older, things fall apart (like your car). And yes, Gabriel, although I sit behind a comfortable desk, I do have extensive knowledge on automobiles (ASE, Master certified (toyota) ) college educated; speak 3 languages fluently including Chinese...I'm not saying this to impress anyone. I'm just stating the facts. Fact is Monroe (who incidentally is a direct competitor of ours) did not brake your vehicle and you know deep down they didn't.
Drop the law suit, pick up the phone and apologize for being a litigious ignoramus.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Did the technicians have a valid ASE?

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

When doing a front brake work(or any brake work involving calipers), by ASE standards,the technician is suppose to clamp the flex hose with a "line lock"(not vise grips-for these will damage the flex hose),then open the bleeder, and push back the piston of the caliper. Not affixing a line lock on the flex hose,forces the old,contaminated fluid back through the system(ABS Controllers are very susceptible to damage,due to dirt that is contained in the old fluid). Thus,either damaging the Master Cylinder and/or the ABS/Accumilator.

I saw this happen on a vehicle, being serviced at another auto shop(no line lock....bad ABS Controller). The vehicle only had 38,000 miles on it at the time. My manager asked me to check it over. Usually,you should be able to see on the hose if there was a line-lock in place. On this vehicle there were none.

Sir,there are some very fine shops and technicians within Monro....but then again.....

A word from Lexus

AUTHOR: Gabriel - (U.S.A.)

I notified Lexus of the remarks posted by Monro and gave them a chance to post a reply online. Lexus explained to me that they were not getting involved in this and are unable to post anything in regards to this matter. Their corporate attorney's would have to get involved, in which I understand.

On the day this damage occured, Lexus stated, "They were Neutral as to how the part got damaged and weren't pointing any fingers at who was at fault, Also said that looked as if fluid was spilled on the damaged part and that may have been the cause of the sticking part"

Note: The above statement is a paraphrased statement from what Lexus told me on the day of the incident.

I'm just OutRaged at this point and will proceed with further action to fight this battle for justice.

not possible for us to have damaged the parts

AUTHOR: Terry Haschmann - (U.S.A.)

This will be our final comment on this matter. We stand by our previous response. It is not possible for us to have damaged the parts that Gabriel claims that we did.

Director of Customer Service
Monro Muffler Brake, Inc.

The Truth

AUTHOR: Gabriel - (U.S.A.)

Yes, the rotors were refused, which has nothing to do with the part they damaged!!

The following statement is False! Lexus will be notified of this statement and given a chance to respond.

"We contacted the Lexus dealership and spoke with the technician who diagnosed Gabriel's car, and he asured us that the work that we did in no way caused the damage that Gabriel is alleging we caused."

Nothing is alleged when you know that your car is not working in the same condition prior to an attempted brake repair. There's no reason for me to make False Allegations as they claim. I've never been in this condition before. This whole process is Headache, but I'm going to make sure this story is heard abroad for people to be aware!

This part costs approx $2700, A Refund on their attempted repairs is Not Acceptable!

The Store Manager & Technician has lack of experience in repairing a Lexus for sure. I spent 3 hours in this location for a Brake Repair with no customers ahead of me. After they attempted to fix their problem in 2 attempts, and when a Technician storms in after an initial test drive stating the store manager intruded to do a "Rush Job" and said if something was screwed up it wasn't his fault. I'm sure they caused this damage with no doubt about it!!!!

I respect their Customer Service Department, but the problem is their Technicians. Communication from the technicians to the Customer service department is Poor from my experience and that's an internal flaw. Customer Service is Not on-location and only can go by what they are initially told and make assumptions and give a Phone Call.

This is the Truth!

shocked to read of Gabriel's description

AUTHOR: Terry Haschmann - (U.S.A.)

We were shocked to read of Gabriel's description of his experience with our Falls Church location and felt compelled to respond

When Gabriel came in to our shop he already had a brake problem. Our initial diagnosis was that at minimum, the car needed brake pads and rotors. We were unable to diagnose further without that work being done first. Gabriel agreed only to the pads and refused the rotors. we did the minimal amount of work that he approved. As we told him, this dd not solve his problem.

He then took the vehicle to the Lexus dealership for further diagnosis. The Lexus diagnosis found thathe brake booster and Accumulator Assembly needed to be replaced. These are the repairs that Gabriel claims we caused.

As a company we always stand behind our work. The only thing that we may owe Gabriel is the amount he paid to us for the brake pads as we did not entirely solve his brake paoblem. We have already offered this to Gabriel and he refused.

As far as his filing a civil claim, we look forward to defending our position in court where we are sure the truth will come out.

Director of Customer Service
Monro Muffler Brake, Inc.

Filed Civil Claim