Complaint Review: Monroe Community College

• Submitted: Tue, August 30, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, May 19, 2006

• Reported By:Rochester New York
Monroe Community College
1000 East Henrietta Road Rochester, New York U.S.A.

Monroe Community College Ripoff dishonest parking parking permit racket Rochester New York

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: The greedy college, and a way to hit them where it counts!!

*Consumer Comment: Appeal/challenge the tickets

*Consumer Comment: So I met with one of the heads of campus public safety

Almost one year after I was allegedly issued two parking tickets for parking without a permit, I received a "final" notice that I owed $10 for each ticket, plus a $30 late charge. In addition, there was also a hold on my student account and a threat that if I parked there my vehicle would be imobilized until I paid the fines. I contacted their public safety office and was told that they have a valid permit on file, but they have a problem with the permits sticking to glass! They said that the permits should be taped on to the windows in addition to the adhesive on the permit. This is a complete scam! If they arent bringing in enough money, they should raise the price of parking permits or the price of tuition, not ticket people that have paid them to legally park there.

James
Rochester, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/30/2005 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Monroe-Community-College/Rochester-New-York-14623/Monroe-Community-College-Ripoff-dishonest-parking-parking-permit-racket-Rochester-New-York-155461. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Monroe Community College

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

The greedy college, and a way to hit them where it counts!!

AUTHOR: Pete - (U.S.A.)

Monroe Community College
Building 7, Room 341
Phone Number: 585-292-2903

E-Mail Address: ldyer@monroecc.edu

She is know by her subordinates as ?Osoma Bin Leah/The Parking Lot Nazi?.

I had received a ticket at 12:23 am, for 'parking after hours'. There are no signs anywhere that says you are not allowed to park on campus after 12 am. I was spending time with a friend at the dorms.

I was outraged at this obvious form of entrapment. Any place else in the free world, they post signs that clearly state when, and where you can/can not park, in a given area.

I vocalized my frustration with a person that I used to work with at Public Safety; Mike Farrow. I went off on a tangent about Osoma, in a comical and derogatory manner that fit in with the locker room mentality of those that work under her; talk smack about her, yet are too afraid of losing their jobs to say it to her face.

Mike then took this email directly to Leah. I later found out that they have been lovers on the side for many years now. There are jokes going around about all the times Mike has been in Leah's office for extremely long durations. So basically, Mike was irritated that I ripped on his booty call, and blew me in.

Some friend.

I wonder what would happen if the higher ups at the college, and both parties spouses knew of this sexual relationship. Print this out, and send it around campus, that would be a good way of getting justice!!

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

This wasn't related to parking passes specifically, but MCC screwed me out of $80.

I, just like many others, had some parking tickets at MCC. I paid my entire account (tuition, tickets, etc.) and I graduated in December of '02. Keep in mind that MCC DOES NOT LET YOU GRADUATE UNLESS YOUR TOTAL ACCOUNT BALANCE IS $0.

Fast forward to Feb. '05. I'm in the process of searching for a home, and as luck would have it I finally found one. Within the same week I receive a FINAL NOTICE from a collections agency saying they will report me to credit agencys if I do not pay them $80, for two parking tickets + late fees. This was the first correspondence I had received from MCC (other than them asking for donations) since I graduated.

I contacted the reporting agency, and explained to them that MCC does not allow you to graduate until you've settled your account, and since I've graduated (and have my diploma) there's no way I had an outstanding balance as of December '02. They had no explanation for that, and said they'd contact the school and call me back.

Two weeks later I hadn't heard anything so I called back. They said they contacted MCC, who told them the same b/s story that I owed them money. Still no explanation as to how I graduated and received my diploma if I owed them money. They said they received paperwork from the school "proving" that I owed the money, and I had 3 days to pay. Of course, they never called me and told me this. And they wouldn't fax me the "proof", they said I had to contact MCC directly.

Now, I was about to apply for a loan on a house. I have excellent credit, and wasn't about to let this $80 collections report give my lender an opportunity/excuse to jack up my offered rate. Since I only had 3 days to sort this situation out with mcc, and I really wanted the house, I had no choice but to pay the $80 immediately to make it go away.

I feel like MCC robbed me of $80. Too bad for them, b/c now that I finally landed my dream job, I started making (what will be regular) donations to RIT (where I finished my four year.) I would have donated a whole lot more than $80 to MCC over the years.

Appeal/challenge the tickets

AUTHOR: Timothy - (U.S.A.)

Is there somebody that you can appeal this matter to? A dean? The local court?

This kind of beureacratic, do-nothing bullsh*t really gets my goat.

Sounds to me like you have a pretty solid case to get those tickets thrown out. Find somebody with some real authority.

If they ever decide to tow your car, I would take them to court for the bill.

So I met with one of the heads of campus public safety

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

She insists that there is no problem with the permits! In fact, she says that she has had complaints from other people that received tickets because their permits didnt stick, but she is not aware of any problem with the permits themselves, only the people trying to get them to stick to their windows. I was assured that the problem that does not exist has been fixed though, because they have redesigned the permits to be self-adhesive stickers. The last time I checked, people dont usually spend the money to redesign a product that works perfectly. Even after the face to face meeting, they refuse to throw out the tickets that I received for no reason at all.