Complaint Review: Morse Moving and Storage

• Updated: Fri, September 02, 2011

• Reported By: Howard — Rosebush Michigan United States of America
Morse Moving and Storage
2374 Parkway, Drive Mt. Pleasant, Michigan United States of America

Morse Moving and Storage Terrible estimate for our move. Estimated @ $933, Bill was $1245 Mt. Pleasant, Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Mover Is Correct...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Moving

I recently contracted Morse Moving & Storage (Allied Moving in the Mt. Pleasant yellow pages) to move my daughter's possessions from a storage unit in Mt. Pleasant to an apartment in Auburn Hills (Oakland County).  Their "estimator" (what a joke!) did an on-site survey of the storage unit, and estimated the weight at 1800 pounds.  He advised that their minimum was 2000 pounds and would charge me for that.  I provided him with the exact street address for the apartment in Oakland County.  His estimate for the move was $933.  He advised that there "might" be an additional $40-50 charge for the apartment being on the second floor.

On the day of the move, I met the Morse employees at the unit and they loaded the truck.  I want to say at this time that the two young men who did the actual work were courteous and professional and I have no complaints about them whatsoever.

I left as they were closing up their truck and met them later at the Auburn Hills address.  Prior to unloading the truck, they advised that I had to sign the bill.  It was for $1245.  The weigh-slip for the actual weight was just over 2800 pounds, over 1000 pounds over the estimate.  Further, there was a surcharge for "Oakland County" (??), a charge for the second-floor (even though it was only half a floor up from the parking lot, and $245 "fuel surcharge", NEVER mentioned at the time of the estimate.

I refused to pay, and they advised that they couldn't unload until the problem was resolved.  I contacted Morse, got put on hold, call was dropped, recontacted, got the area manager who took the details and said he would contact his supervisor.  Supervisor called me back 20 minutes later, and after a LONG conversation we agreed on a (slightly) lower price.  Otherwise my daughter's stuff went into storage until it was settled.  Can you spell "hostage"??

My check was not cashed for almost two weeks, and then only after I called to see what the problem was, then threatened to stop payment unless they got off their butts.  What company doesn't do at least weekly deposits??

Finally, tonight, I went to their so-called "rating" page, and after trying with Firefox AND IE, was unable to post any kind of a negative response or give them any kind of a "star" rating.  How about that??  Of course, the other twenty-three ratings that WERE there were all 5-stars..............  Hmmmmmm.......

I'd strongly suggest looking elsewhere for a moving company.  Morse's management is lacking, their estimator, to repeat myself, is a joke.  Again, the two fellows who did the actual work were top-notch professionals, and I tipped them well.  They advised that my case was not unusual, and that one interstate household load had been missed by....10,000  (ten thousand!!) pounds.  I think my Yorkie terrier could have come that close.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/27/2011 05:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Morse-Moving-and-Storage/Mt-Pleasant-Michigan-48858-1163/Morse-Moving-and-Storage-Terrible-estimate-for-our-move-Estimated-933-Bill-was-124-734143. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Morse Moving and Storage

Mover Is Correct...

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Based on the shipper's own story, this is not a ripoff.

For starters, the shipper claims the items were in a self-storage unit and thought the estimate should have been closer.  WRONG!!  If the items are in a storage unit, there is no way to make an accurate estimate without emptying most of the unit.  The mover could never offer an estimate that would guarantee never to go up.  That's why it was an estimate.  If the mover could have guaranteed the price, the OP would have received a binding, not-to-exceed quote.  There is a major difference.  The shipper doesn't understand this difference, yet the mover billed the shipper EXACTLY what he should have been billed for.

Next, the shipper claims he never knew about the additional charges like fuel surcharge and other fees.  These sorts of charges are standard in a mover's tariff and are included in the estimate as "possible additional charges" because the fuel surcharge changes week-to-week based on the price of diesel fuel.  Additional charges may also include a shuttle, long carry, etc...that are all part of the tariff.

Then the shipper claims there is a hostage load.  Again, incorrect.  The only way this would have been a hostage load is if the shipper agreed to pay the mover asked for under the estimate (in this case $1245), and the mover said, "I want more or it goes into storage."  The shipper refused to pay anything; in such a case, the items would go into storage and there's nothing the shipper can do about it unless he pays.

Finally, you complain about why your check wasn't cashed timely.  Simply put, moving is a manually intensive process and that extends to the administrative end.  It can take 2-6 weeks for a moving company to do the final accounting for a move, because your mover (Morse in this case) doesn't keep your check.  Your check along with all of the paperwork from the nice guys who performed your move, paperwork from the driver, paperwork at destination, and any other paperwork is gathered in a centralized administrative office and processed there.  The process of gathering all of that paperwork can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks.  Accordingly, your threats about stopping payment on your check is pathetic.  And consumers wonder why finding a good mover is hard?  Consumers can thank someone like the OP for that.

At the end of the day, you ended up with a pretty good mover - you simply managed to screw this up due to your own delusional paranoia.  The reason there are fewer good movers out there is because of customers like you.  Consider yourself very lucky.  If you don't believe me, just try looking at the other posts on this site for moving companies.  There is a listing several pages long of shippers who got screwed not only in price, but paying 2X-4X the estimate, all items damaged, destroyed, or lost.  They paid a heavy price for not doing their research.  Meanwhile, none of those things happened to you; what happened to you was that you were moved, you were billed based on the actual weight complete with weight ticket, you received your items with no damage, and all you can do is complain.  In fact, you were offered a discount most people could not get, and you are still an idiot about this and complain.  I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain; I'm just waiting for you to have a legitimate complaint, because you don't have one!

I have no sympathy for you.  No consumer should either.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Moving

AUTHOR: Morse Moving & Storage - (USA)

Our ustomer called to get an estimate to move belongings from a self storage unit.  Since the items are stacked and loaded into the storage unit it is very difficult to see all the items.  We therefore ask the customer to give us a list of the items to their best abilities.  We understand they might not remember every item that is in storage and that is why we give them a non binding estimate based on weight and not a guaranteed price.  If the weight is more or less the price gets adjusted.  From the information we had and the items we could see we did give an estimate of $907.13.   After loading all the items on to our truck we weighed the truck to get a final weight of the shipment.   Michigan is a regulated state and all charges are governed and regulated by the tariff.  We calculated the final weight of 2820 and came up with the final total of $1242.75.  As a good faith gesture to our customer we did agree to lower the price to$1,100.00.  We feel like we did the best we could do with the information we were given and we are very sorry to hear that our customer was dissatisfied with our service.