Complaint Review: Mountain loan centers

• Updated: Thu, August 30, 2012

• Reported By: got scammed — United States of America
Mountain loan centers
981 East 3300 South salt lake city, Utah United States of America

Mountain loan centers Harrassment of myself, my family, my freinds, my work. Threats and illegal fees as well as summons service. salt lake city, Utah

*Consumer Comment: company is lowdown dirty scumbags

*General Comment: Actually...

*Consumer Comment: Mountain loan center slc, ut unprofessional

*Consumer Comment: It's Very True

*UPDATE Employee: this is simply not true

Mountain Loan Centers has made my life unbearable for the last 6 months. Myself as well as my family, my freinds, and my co-workers have been harrassed, berrated and threatened over and over and over again by this company. Their Interest rates end up being much higher than the initial agreement, and from what I understand they are against the law. This company led me to seek therapy as well as claim bankruptcy.
I took a loan out 6 months ago for $750. I fell on hard times a couple months later as a lot of people do from time to time and was unable to make a full payment. I went to the office on 3300 S. and offered them the last $40 that I had to my name. The lady at the front desk immediately called "Correen" from another branch. Correen said to me that she would not accept the payment because it would not do me any good now. I left with my cash in hand. The next morning a woman named Victoria called my phone and left a message. The message said that she was going to start calling my references over and over until I called her back. Sure enough, she called my parents, my brother, 2 of my freinds, my neighbor, and my supervisor at work. But she didn't just stop at one phone call. No, she called each one of them at least two times each and some of them 3 within a period of 30 minutes. For 30 minutes from the time she left me a message she harrassed my family, my freinds, and my boss. I wasn't even avoiding her. I left my phone upstairs on a Saturday morning and didn't know I missed her call until it was too late. When I returned her call half an hour after her initial call I asked why she didn't just wait till I called her back. This was after all the first time she had ever called my phone since I took out the loan. She said I was going to learn very quick not to miss payments and that If I wasn't going to pay that someone I know will. The day after she called all these people again. But this time she didn't even call me first! This harrassment continued for almost 6 months. My neighbor finally changed his number, my co-workers don't treat me the same, my parents tell me over and over how guilty they feel that they couldn't afford to help me out, and I have had to find a therapist as well as finally claim bankruptcy.
A few days ago I got a letter in the mail saying that Mountain Loan Centers has a "Default Judgement" against me in a court of law for the amount of $3600+.  I never even received a summons. After I saw this letter I received a phone call from "Shaun" with Mountain Loan Centers. He immediately demanded that I pay him half of the $3600. I told him I did not have it right now but might be able to get in a couple weeks. He said he will get "his" money one way or another even if it means coming to my work to get it. When I asked what his position  and his last name is he yelled "that's none of your damn business!!!" He continued to threaten me and berate me over and over. Every time I didn't respond to his threats or answer a question right away he yelled "What's the matter, don't you speak English!!! Huh? You speak English man!!!" He said that Justice was served and now it's time to pay. I responded that justice had not been served because on the day that they claimed they served the court summons I was at the Hospital visiting my sick girlfreind and I can prove it. He said that they didn't need to serve me in person. I never once received a summons from Mountain Loan Centers. Not in person, Not in the mail, Not once. I was forced to claim bankruptcy today due to all of this. I borrowed $750 and within 6 months this company was awarded over $3600 on a case that I never new existed until I received a harrassing phone call from this "Shaun" guy, who it turns out is the owner, informing me that they are garnishing my wages.
This company is the shadest, lowest, dirtiest company I have ever seen or heard of for that matter and I pray that any one who reads this will avoid them like the plague.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2012 08:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mountain-loan-centers/salt-lake-city-Utah-84106/Mountain-loan-centers-Harrassment-of-myself-my-family-my-freinds-my-work-Threats-and-933448. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mountain loan centers

company is lowdown dirty scumbags

AUTHOR: anonymous - ()

Obviously there is a reason that there are so many reports about this awful "company". I got a loan from this "company" because i needed to pay my rent and my next payday was after my rent was due. I made ontime payments consistently,  and then was late on ONE payment because of circumstances beyond my control. My interest was then raised to a heinous percentage,  therefore making it so I could not afford my regular payments. I continued to call in every week and make $150 payments.

I then started hearing from my family and friends and coworkers that they were getting harassing phone calls from some guy named "Adam" and some lady named "Shelly" saying that I was refusing to pay them and that they were going to take me to court because I was stole money from them. ( even though I was still making weekly payments) After hearing these things, I called the company and asked to speak to a managerafter the first line of people were telling me they couldnt do anything about my situation.  The woman I spoke to next was by far the worst human being I have ever come in contact with as a consumer. She started out by saying that I was stealing from the company and that my payments were not helping and that I "might as well stop paying" because they were going to sue me anyway. She was very harassing, calling me other names such as "bit*h", "leech", and "theif".

After this encounter, I refused to speak to anyone from this company. I signed up with a debt consolidation company just to get these people off mu back, and still pay off my debt. After multiple attempts from those representing me trying to contact the company to try settle and pay off the debt, they came to me saying that every attempt to contacts them was met by mountain loan center employees hanging up on them, yelling profanities,  and telling them to "fu*k off", because they dont work with companies trying to help people pay off their debt because the people "deserve their debt and situations".

Since then, I have not received any communication at all from mountain loan center. What I have received is multiple letters from attorneys saying that there has been a judgement entered against me for over FIVE TIMES the amount that I borrowed. To make matters worse, I never got served with any sort of summons or ccommunication from any court with a court date or anything saying I was even getting sued.

I now am in the process of filing bankruptcy because of this company. They are BY FAR the worst company in existence.  I hope someone sees this and will refuse to do business with them.  Its not worth all the time and pain and harassment.

#2 General Comment

Actually...

AUTHOR: Lenez - ()

I borrowed $150 and was paying on it for several months on time. I was late one time because of an insurance payment I had to have come first and because of that it went up to over 300 dollars in the matter of 3-4 days... after that I couldnt afford the higher payment. When I called to ask them to work out a lower payment they told me no and that it was going to keep going up? I was paying them there amount on time for 3 months strait and because I had to be a couple days late it screwed me over! They were very rude un professional and so I told them to sue me then since I could not affored it any more "nothing else I could do since they didnt want to make any kind of arrangements" Finally one lady called me and said she would talk to someone about payment arrangments for me. Next thing I know about 3 weeks later I was being served at my work for a garnishment. I was not even served a court paper first. I called them and they said the guy who "claimes" he served me came to my front door and gave them to me personally. Funny how that could happen when I live in the basement and I have a different entrance that is located in the back of the house? I saw that several people never got served, talk about shaddy. I filled out a complaint and sent it to the court and with in a day the lawyer called me to make payment arrangments so that we wouldnt have to go to court. He was actually very nice and he said that he wouldnt charge me any of his fees and he was willing to let me pay whatever I could affored a month. Im sure he new how messed up this company is and he felt bad my loan went from $150 dollars to 1,000.00 talk about ripping someone off. Oh and I loved this statement from one of the collectors. "So we borrowed you money and you dont want to pay it back, your steeling from us then." and my replay. "Well I have already payed you back $300 dollars since I have borrowed the $150... so really you are steeling my money now" Such a sick company.

Mountain loan center slc, ut unprofessional

AUTHOR: anonymous4 - ()

I received a loan from mountain loan center in salt lake city when I had a full time job making  a good amount of money for a 22 year old. When I called mountain loan centers to let them know I no longer had a job and that I was a full time student who only got paid monthly they could care less. When I asked if they could work with me to pay monthly instead of every 2 weeks the guy simply replied "nope". I am willing to pay, I just can't every 2 weeks. They are very greedy with their late fees and want to keep you on that payment cycle to get more money out of you. They sound very rude every time I call and are not professional in any way. Maybe that's why they aren't accredited through the BBB....

It's Very True

AUTHOR: hereinslc - ()

Apparently I've Been Sued By This Company. I just received a letter from an attorney who is going to represent me. according to their letter, I have been sued by Mountains Loan Center. I never received a summons from the state or any official paperwork from mountain loan centers. I received several abusive calls over the last 2 months. I've attempted to set up arrangements with mountain loan center but they were never accepted. it's bizarre to me because there should be some sort of relief effort to help both the company and consumer in situations like this. I didn't take the full amount that I could have because I fully intend on paying the loan back. its a win win situation either way from Mount loan center because they have the ability to collect according to the contract now or later. it's better for them to wait and let these things go default making no attempt to help the consumer get back on their feet by making arrangement. I've been harassed. told that I was going to jail. that  a warrent was going to be issued for my arrest.  needless to say I will be hiring an attorney. I hope they have all their ducks in a row.

this is simply not true

AUTHOR: mountain loan centers - (United States of America)

Mountain Loan Centers is a finance company. We have consumer loans that fully comply with all federal and laws of the State of Utah.

When anyone borrows money, there is an interest rate. Interest always accrues daily. The longer you take to pay off a loan the more it will end up costing.

Now, when someone fails to pay there is a late fee as stipulated in both our contract that is $30.00 that is not unreasonable but should be expected. this fee is fully disclosed in our contract.

The reality is that some people ignore there promissory note and fail to pay as they agree. At that time a finance company has only 2 options.

Option 1) ignore the balance and let the customer keep the money and never try to collect it back 9this is like getting a gift)

or

Option 2) collect on the note.

Mountain Loan Centers chooses always to collect on the note. We cannot afford to give away free money.

Our contracts do not read to have the balance "double overnight" that is just silly, and they are speaking out of frustration.