dried

MoveAmerica
8308 Hunting Hill Lane Mclean, Virginia United States of America

MoveAmerica Railvan LLC held my apartment hostage Mclean, Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Move America Are the Scam Artists

*Author of original report: Ripped me off and called me a liar

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: MoveAmerica provides pictures proving hoax attempt

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: MoveAmerica Railvan LLC refutes scam attempt by customer Keeton!!!

*Author of original report: got our stuff, but not satisfaction

When we called to check on the status of the delivery this morning (April 2), the agent at the local site declared the space used to be fourteen feet and refused to deliver the truck unless we paid an additional $395 charge. They could not estimate a time of delivery until we paid the additional fee.  I had arranged an appointment for three movers to unpack our truck,  and would be forced to pay our deposit plus one hour of work, so I paid the fee so MoveAmerica would release the truck. After paying the fee, MoveAmerica said they would have to reprocess the delivery appointment and would now not be able to deliver the truck until between 1 and 5pm.

I had to pay the movers $248 for their time as per my contractual obligation. I requested to be contacted by a manager at MoveAmerica to resolve the issue and have not received a response. I was told to expect to hear from someone in a few hours. I feel like I am being extorted and I do not know if this is the kind of thing I talk to a layer about or not, so any help from here would be greatly appreciated.

I want the $395 space charge refunded, and I want MoveAmerica to refund an additional $248 to cover the movers. I have no problem paying the charges we agreed upon, but holding my property hostage seems plainly criminal.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/02/2013 11:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MoveAmerica/Mclean-Virginia-22102/MoveAmerica-Railvan-LLC-held-my-apartment-hostage-Mclean-Virginia-1040021. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MoveAmerica

Move America Are the Scam Artists

AUTHOR: Jonw - ()

Mr. Grad,

I know how you pull off your scam.  Your website clearly states that your trainer will be 28 feet long.  What it does not state is that based on the border in the front, and the playwood used for a barrier, you will only have 26 feet of usable space.  I currently have a trailer in my drive and will be updating with pictures for everyone to see.  You start with a 28 foot measurement and subtract the left over space from that to come up with your fictisous number for charging.

IE,  If there is 10 feet from the plywood to the edge you claim they used 18 feet.  In reality it is more like 16 feet  which entitles you to 2 feet more of charge.  You greedily, and dishonestly take the extra money that you are now owed and act like you are a great upstading business owner.

When anyone calls you with a complaint, they get Jacky who quickly turns into a rude rep over the phone, and pass you to Collette to talks down to you like you are stupid.  You then call hours later, and lie about having the situation fixed.  When anyone follows up on your lies, and confronts you, you have Jacky call tell the customer that you will no longer speak to them because your feelings are hurt.

I hope everyone that has used you, reads this and starts a class action against you for the two feet of space you charged them for that you owe.

Pictures to be uploaded.

Ripped me off and called me a liar

AUTHOR: keetonfilms - ()

Facts are wonderful, but one must pay attention to the little details to find out the truth. For instance, my reports refer to Danielle as my wife (not daughter), which the MoveAmerica representative seems to have missed. They must not have listened to me when I spent a day arguing through a series of representatives. They must not have read my written complaints carefully either.

I was ready to put this whole ugly episode behind me. After talking with a lawyer I realized I would never get the money that MoveAmerica swindled from us. The fact is, the contract we signed provides MoveAmerica with no responsibility for any actions taken by the trucking company that they outsource the work to. The driver was responsible for placing a divider between our property and the rest of the truck. The driver had a problem moving one of the metal separator bars and was forced to tilt the particleboard divider. You can see all the space between our property and the tilted board in the photos I have provided. The driver estimated the space our property used at eight feet, but since we were contractually obligated to pay for the ten feet we estimated, I did not argue the point.

On the morning of April 1, we paid the full balance to have the truck released, and made our delivery appointment for April 2 between 8-11am. MoveAmerica did indeed charge us for the ten feet we had initially agreed upon.

Around noon that same day, the trucking company reported an extra four feet to MoveAmerica and refused to release the truck. So the fact is, an entire day before our scheduled delivery appointment MoveAmerica knew that our property would not be delivered, and yet made no effort to contact us. It was not until 10am the day of the appointment, when my wife Danielle called to check on the status of our property, did MoveAmerica inform us of the discrepancy. We had already hired movers to unload the truck, who had to be paid for their time despite the sudden cancellation.

The photographic "proof" provided by MoveAmerica shows a perspective from inside the truck without any depth, so you can hardly tell the particle board is leaning forward unless you look very closely. The shot of the tape measure is completely without context, and I cannot find a corresponding metal surface inside the truck that matches the one in the background of that shot. Instead of independently verifying the space inside the truck, the manager of MoveAmerica called me a liar. When the trucking company refused to release our property, MoveAmerica was only interested in getting their money.

My photos show the truck at the point we filled it to before the dividing boards are placed up. We used a piece of duct tape to indicate our ten foot limit when filling the truck. We can see the measurement in context at that point, at ten feet and a few inches. We can also see the angle that the trucking company placed the divider at and all the space between, accounting for the extra space they consider us responsible for.

The facts are the facts. I understand that MoveAmerica is legally covered, and that there is nothing that they are forced by law to do in order to protect the customer in a case like ours. That does not make what they did right. They called me a liar instead of trying to make it right. Through this ordeal I learned that it is possible to have Better Business Bureau complaints expunged, so perhaps that vaunted A rating championed by the MoveAmerica representative does not tell the whole story.

The fact is they hung us out to dry on an appointment that cost us $250. The fact is they leveraged our property for an extra $400 that I know I will never get back. Now they are calling my story a hoax, my wife and I scammers. I cannot let that stand after being extorted. It is not about the money at this point. I am blessed to be at a stage in my life when $650 dollars is not the difference between making rent and getting the contents of my home back from a shady delivery company, but I have not always been this fortunate. I want to make sure no one else gets put in this position. You do not want to use MoveAmerica. If anything goes wrong, they will tell you it is not technically their responsibility and you will have no legal recourse. They fooled us once. Don't let them get you.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

MoveAmerica provides pictures proving hoax attempt

AUTHOR: MoveAmerica - ()

The enclosed pictures prove the attempted hoax by Andrew and Danielle Keeton against MoveAmerica.

The measurement is clearly 13 and one half feet, not the 8 feet claimed by the Keetons.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

MoveAmerica Railvan LLC refutes scam attempt by customer Keeton!!!

AUTHOR: MoveAmerica - ()

MoveAmerica provides a high quality low-cost moving service to individuals willing to load and unload MoveAmerica arranged trailers themselves or with friends and neighbors. MoveAmerica maintains an "A" rating with the Better Business Bureau based on tens of thousands of highly satisfied customers.

MoveAmerica is not a van line, and does not estimate the space needed by a customer.  Rather, upon request MoveAmerica provides pricing for space self-estimated by our customers, typically in length of trailer used. Should more space be used, the customer is expected to pay the difference. This occurs approximately four percent of all moves, while approximately one percent use less space.

Customers Danielle Keeton and Andrew Keeton self estimated 10 linear feet of space and placed a reservation with MoveAmerica on March 21st for a trailer to be delivered to their home in Clearwater, FL on March 29th.

The trailer was delivered to the Keeton's on that date, and Andrew Keeton loaded the trailer.  It was picked up by the trucking company on the same date.

The reservation with MoveAmerica provided for a charge for extra space used by the Keetons, a condition thoroughly explained and understood by the Keetons.

Trailer measurements are not made by MoveAmerica.  They are made by the
trucking company arranged by MoveAmerica , and  are initially made by the driver upon pickup of the
trailer, and further verified by trucker management personnel at the trucker's
terminal.

MoveAmerica was advised by the trucking company, a multi-billion dollar firm with tens of thousands of employees, that Andrew Keeton and Danielle Keeton had used 14 feet of trailer space rather than the 10 feet they had purchased.

MoveAmerica reviews all trucker measurements to insure accuracy by the
trucker and carry out our duty to protect our customers from an
incorrect measurement.

MoveAmerica, upon being informed by the trucking company that the Keeton's had
used 14 feet (anything over 13 feet is rounded up to 14 feet) requested the
trucker to reduce the charge to 13 feet, so MoveAmerica by its intervention
saved the customer $135 from the 14 foot charge reported to them by the
trucker. We do note Andrew Keeton's statement that it was the "agent at the local site (the trucker)
that refused to release the truck.

Please review the enclosed pictures furnished MoveAmerica by
the trucker.   The tape measure distance is the distance from the door of
the trailer to the wall you see in the other picture which is placed up against
the end of the Keeton's shipment in Mr. Keeton's presence.  Since the
trailer is 27 1/2 feet long inside, the measurement shows 13 1/2 feet of
trailer space used by the Keetons.  This generated the charge of $395
disputed by the Keetons.

Clearly, Mr. Andrew Keeton and daughter Danielle used more than 8 feet of the trailer that he somehow talked the driver into agreeing to and is obligated to pay the agreed upon additional charges.  This was known to him at the time he loaded
the trailer, and the delay at destination would have been avoided had these
charges been paid immediately upon becoming obvious to Mr. Keeton without
waiting for the overage to be discovered by the trucker.

MoveAmerica paid the trucker its charged based on the 13 feet (actually more) clearly and manifestly used by the Keetons.

Finally, Mr. Andrew Keeton and his daughter Danielle Keeton are attempting to scam MoveAmerica
AND the public by posting this patently untrue, misleading, and malicious article.  Facts are a wonderful thing!

got our stuff, but not satisfaction

AUTHOR: keetonfilms - ()

My wife and I used MoveAmerica to transport our two bedroom apartment from Clearwater, Florida to Richmond, Virginia. Our agreed upon estimate was for a ten foot lineal space in the moving truck. After the truck was loaded, the MoveAmerica driver measured the space used as eight feet. The truck was loaded on Friday March 29. We received notice from MoveAmerica that our truck had arrived in Richmond as of April 1. They charged us for ten feet as per our original estimate. They informed us the truck would be available for delivery after the balance of $1389.45 had been paid. We paid the outstanding balance and have a receipt as paid in full and confirmed delivery between 8-11am on the April 2.

When we called to check on the status of the delivery this morning (April 2), the agent at the local site declared the space used to be fourteen feet and refused to deliver the truck unless we paid an additional $395 charge. They could not estimate a time of delivery until we paid the additional fee.  I had arranged an appointment for three movers to unpack our truck, and would be forced to pay our deposit plus one hour of work. I paid the fee so MoveAmerica would release the truck. After paying the fee, MoveAmerica said they would have to reprocess the delivery appointment and would now not be able to deliver the truck until between 1 and 5pm. I had to pay the movers $248 for their time as per my contractual obligation. I requested to be contacted by a manager at MoveAmerica to resolve the issue.

The MoveAmerica manager contacted me at 5pm. The truck had still not arrived. The manager informed me that the trucking company they contracted  had discovered a space use discrepancy as of noon on April 1. He apologized for not informing us and costing us money with the movers, but refused to assume responsibility. He claimed that his photos confirm that we had taken up thirteen and a half feet. He  suggested that I or the original driver were lying about how much space we used and insisted that it must have been my fault for loading the truck poorly. He assured me that our home was on the way and would arrive in about a half an hour.

At 6pm the truck finally arrived. Photos that I took show that our material ends at ten feet. The driver built a plywood wall to separate our material from the rest of the truck. The plywood wall leaned forward on a few straps several feet away from the border of our property.  We had to work unloading well into the night, but ultimately I am glad just to finally have my bed to sleep in.

Moving is a stress on your body, mind, spirit and finances. When I first moved to Florida a decade ago, I was literally broke. If I had used MoveAmerica back then, when I was too young and poor to pay the ransom, they could have continued to ratchet up rental fees, interest, sent me to collections and ruined my credit. I want the $395 extra space charge refunded, and I want MoveAmerica to refund an additional $248 to cover the movers I hired. I have no problem paying the charges we agreed upon for the ten feet I used, but MoveAmerica holding my property hostage seems predatory, if not plainly criminal.