Complaint Review: Mover's Authority

• Updated: Fri, November 29, 2013

• Reported By: Mark — Fairfax Virginia
Mover's Authority
7521 Tarpley Drive Derwood, Maryland USA

Mover's Authority Tricia , Sam Overbilling, scam, broken furniture, thraetening, bullying, mover, moving, movers authority Derwood Maryland

Contacted this company for a move.  Received an estimated quote for $475 with the agreement that non of our furinture or mattresses needed to be wrapped before loading.  When the driver arrived he attempted to get my wife to signa contract stating that we would pay hundreds of dollar for packing material.  She refused, and then called me.  I called the owner and talked to her, reminding her that our agreement specifically stated no packing materials.  This made no difference whatsoever to the driver.  My wife finally agreed on $40.00 for "packing" the mattresses.  1/2way though the move the guy them tried to charge us for wrapping other stuff.  At this point some of our possessions were on the truck, and the driver threatened to drive off with it.

We finally compromised on $40.00 for the mattresses and no other packing materials (again).  We helped load, and the driver told his guys to work slower wihtin the hearing of witnessess. When we started to help them load, the driver told me to stop becuase "you have a minimum hours to pay so I can make money."  He complained more than once that the move wasn't profitable enough for him.  We were promised 3 workers, but in the end it was 2 workers and the driver, who slept all day long in the truck.

When we arrived at the new house, the driver then added on charges for packing materials that his team didn't use, and charged us $50 for the mattresses, claiming that $40 had been an estimate.  He also added extra time and money to the bill.  He refused any type of payment but cash up front for an estimated unload time.  We beat the unload time by more than half an hour, but when I went out to talkt o him about a refund he jumped in his trick and drove away.

In my opinion, this company subsists on scamming the cusomter with low quotes, then nickle and dimes them.  The final price for the move was more than 50% higher than the estimate.  The driver threatened to take our things and leave multiple times.

Tips:  Never work with a company that requires cash, never work with an hourly company that charges you for packing materials, and never, ever, ever work with Mover's Authority for any reason.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2013 02:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Movers-Authority/Derwood-Maryland-20855/Movers-Authority-Tricia-Sam-Overbilling-scam-broken-furniture-thraetening-bullying-1103043. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mover's Authority