Complaint Review: Mover's Choice Moving & Storage

• Updated: Tue, February 18, 2014

• Reported By: Annoymous — Santee California
Mover's Choice Moving & Storage
5445 Dahlia Street Unit B Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

Mover's Choice Moving & Storage Mover's Choice USA Doubled Agreed Upon Amount, Make Us Shovel Our Walkway, No Courtesy Call, Non-Uniformed Colorado Springs Colorado

I had an agreed upon amount with this moving company for $984.00.  Before coming out to my home, they talked me into adding $50.00 to that amount to wrap my TV, bringing the total to $1034.00.  I described all of my items in detail, I have a studio apartment with only a TV & a bed.  The rest are small boxes of personal items.  We moved all my items from California to Colorado ourselves in a pick-up truck & a small U-Haul trailer.  Everything is still packed & now being moved from Colorado back to California.  I spent over an hour on the phone with their sales rep & described all of my items in detail to him.  He assured me that the price was guaranteed & took a deposit from me in the amount of $258.00.

On the moving date, the movers were supposed to give me a courtesy call between 7am-8:30am.  They never did.  I received a total of 3 calls from 2 different men later on that morning because they got lost, had no GPS or navagation (which I thought was very unusual for a moving company) & kept asking me for detailed directions over & over again.  One of the men, Simon, had such a heavy accent, I could not understand him at all.  Plus the reception on his cell phone was terrible.  When they finally showed up at my house, they were not in uniform, as I was promised that they would be.  They looked dirty, one man had long, stringy hair (Simon) & they were late.  The older man with the heavy accent was supposed to be the foreman & he made it clear from the time he arrived that he wasn't going to move anything.  He made us shovel our walkway, which he felt was not clear enough, even though it was over 60 degrees & sunny and the little bit of powder snow on the ground was not a hazard.  He made me point out the boxes that were to be moved over & over & over again, claiming he couldn't see them & he didn't understand me.  Then he claimed that to move even one box, he would need at least double the agreed upon amount & a mandatory payment of $80.00 for a matress cover (that costs $4.00) even though I never requested to buy one from him & had my own mattress cover.  He asked for a minimum of $2500.00 before he would move even one item.

While he was writing all of this down by hand on a piece of paper, the other driver (Lamare) spotted some money that was lying on a table & kept telling me to move it.  When I asked him WHY he said because someone will take it.  I asked him WHO would take the money, as it is our money lying on a table in our house.  He said "believe me, it will be taken".  We moved the money, since he was making such a point of telling me that either him or his partner was planning to steal it.

I asked Simon to leave the paper with me with his hand written outragous requests on it, but he refused.  I told him to leave my house, as I will not pay that amount & I no longer trusted him with my belongings anyway.  I had also learned that they weren't going to take my belongings directly to California, they were planning to take my belongings back to Denver, store everything in their warehouse, reload everything on a different truck & then drive it out to California, which is not what I agreed upon & just seemed like a good way to get my belongings lost and/or damaged.  I asked to speak to Simon's supervisor & he had a woman call me from her cell phone, who said her name was Kim, but she in no way could prove that she was even with the company & didn't seem to know anything about the company's procedures, how the moving process worked, or how to refund me my money.  She just kept telling me what a great person she thought Simon was. She eventually got frustrated & just hung up on me, proving even further that she was not really a supervisor.

In any case, all 3 of them, Simon, Lamare & Kim, told me the only way to get my $258.00 deposit back was to call their office on Monday.  (It was Saturday).  They had no one in the office on the weekends, which I found hard to believe.  I left 2 messages for the office to call me back & refund me my money, but no one ever answered my calls or messages.  If they didn't do anything wrong, they would have returned my calls, I'm sure.  So in order to get my money back, I called my bank & got my $258.00 back directly from them.  I wasn't about to trust Mover's Choice to refund my money to me.  Obviously, they were planning on stealing it.  I called my bank that very same day & not only got my money back, but filled out a report against Mover's Choice as well.

After we got Simon & Lamare to leave our house, I hired a good, reliable Moving Company to do my move for what I was willing to pay.  I can not believe that I was a victim of such a terrible scam.  I don't want anyone to go through what we went through.  Beware of Mover's Choice Moving & Storage & do not let them take your hard-earned money from you!!  I certainly didn't!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/18/2014 11:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Movers-Choice-Moving-Storage/Colorado-Springs-Colorado-80022/Movers-Choice-Moving-Storage-Movers-Choice-USA-Doubled-Agreed-Upon-Amount-Make-Us-Sh-1124475. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mover's Choice Moving & Storage