Complaint Review: Movie Facts

• Submitted: Tue, April 15, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, December 12, 2012

• Reported By:Red Bluff California
Movie Facts
1870 Busse Hwy., Suite 200, Des Plaines, IL 60016-6773 Nationwide U.S.A.

Movie Facts Advertising Scam - Fraudulent Billing Scam - Des Plaines Illinois

*Consumer Comment: The same situation happened to me!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Jumping the gun here...

A Movie Facts salesperson called and asked if I wanted to run an ad in their brochure that would be distributed in our local movie theater. It sounded affordable and the salesperson told me that it was only for 4 months, so I signed up with the understanding that I would be advertising with Movie Facts for only 4 months. There was no mention of an automatic extension.

During the time that the ad ran, I found that there was no response of any kind. I asked around at the local theater and found that it was very rare for anyone to pick up one of the Movie Fact brochures, and even rarer for anyone to actually read one.

I had only signed up for 4 months, so I decided to let the advertising lapse, as it was not producing any kind of response. The month after the advertising had run out I get a bill from Movie Facts and a form that they want me to fill out and get back to them immediately or they will be running my ad for another 4 months. Without my permission...

So I filled out the form and mailed it back to them. Only to get ANOTHER bill from Movie Facts the next month. Calling them and complaining gets me a long winded and obviously practiced explanation about how they had "tried to contact me" and since they had'nt been able to contact me they had extended the advertising contract.

So now I have to pay for another 4 months of their worthless advertising. A total of over $500 for absoluty nothing.

Here are the FACTS: "Movie Facts" is a borderline scam. The advertising they supply does not work and their billing methods are fraudulent and criminal.

These people need to be put out of business.

Red Bluff, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2008 03:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Movie-Facts/nationwide/Movie-Facts-Advertising-Scam-Fraudulent-Billing-Scam-Des-Plaines-Illinois-326308. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Movie Facts

The same situation happened to me!

AUTHOR: Heather - (United States of America)

This company is AWFUL!  I agreed to advertise with them after many conversations with the sales rep.  I made an agreement to pay for three months. I was told after three months my contract would cancel on its own. I was billed for three additional months $240! The manager, BETTY said they had recordings of the calls. The recordings were bits and pieces of the actual conversation. Not to mention I visited the theatre and these brochures were no where to be found!  I did not get one customer from this wast of money advertising.  Beware MOVIE FACTS is a SCAM!!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Jumping the gun here...

AUTHOR: Seymour - (U.S.A.)

I'm not denying this may have been a misunderstanding, but you should have done your homework BEFORE agreeing to advertise with this company, not after. I never agree to something I know nothing about.

Second, Movie Facts has been running for 35 years and continues to run today in over 1,000 theatres nationwide. If it was a fradulent practice, don't you think it would have been shut down LONG ago? They have customers that have ran with them continuously and gotten a tremendous response for YEARS. If you check their website you'll see testimonials of this. Just because some people don't pick it up in your particular theater and because you got no response doesn't mean an advertisement was a scam. If you had listened to the verifier when you agreed to the ad, you would have heard them say that they cannot guarantee a response.

The fact that you've got a grudge against this company/your experience was less than pleasant does not mean it's not a valid business.