Complaint Review: MovieLand

• Submitted: Tue, January 03, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, January 03, 2006

• Reported By:Metairie, Louisiana
MovieLand
23705 Vanowen Street #119 West Hills, California U.S.A.

MovieLand - powered By MediaPipe Digital Enterprises Ripoff This company sent me "reminders" which obliterate the pc screen, and did not respond to my attempts to contact them. West Hills California

*Consumer Comment: Just Adware/SpyWare/Malware

This company claims I obligated myself to buy $99.00 worth of software and I am not sure what else by not cancelling a three day trial offer. Following this, my pc became prey to instrusive reminders which fill up the screen and can only be gotten rid of by turning off the machine. The company warns the "reminders" will become more frequent and that even if one removes the software one is legally bound to pay for it and such failure may result in legal action or adverse credit reporting. The company offers a "courtesy" means of "cancelling" the account by making a VISA or Master Card charge for a lesser amount, one of which is only $19.00, or by sending a paper check for $29.95. After trying to pay them off with Master Card and seeing a "declined" message from the company, I checked with Master Card. They told me it's a problem on the merchant's end, account in good order. I was preparing to send a paper check when I noticed the language does not clearly say this is a cancellation and, in fact, reads more like one is paying an installment on the full $99.00 annual amount.

I wrote to an online help organization, they advise me to uninstall, but nothing else. A computer expert friend told me this sounds like a scam. I am afraid to provide this company with anything now and worry about what they already may have. I have never seen anything as chilling in internet commerce. Small internet businesses? Sorry folks, oufits like this company are making you too suspect to do business with. Interestingly, after reporting the problem to the advocacy group yesterday the notices have not appeared today.

I still don't know whether to cancel my credit card, have a total wipe of my computer, or what. Since this site coincidentally has a recent complaint about this company, I am even concerned that THIS site is some sort of malcious scam I will regret having anything to do with.

Christopher
Metairie,, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2006 06:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MovieLand/West-Hills-California-91307/MovieLand-powered-By-MediaPipe-Digital-Enterprises-Ripoff-This-company-sent-me-reminde-170313. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MovieLand

Just Adware/SpyWare/Malware

AUTHOR: Denny - (U.S.A.)

Search this site. There have been many reports and its just spyware/adware that is on your computer. Solutions to remove have been offered already.

And
1) keep your OS updated
2) keep your virus software update
3) keep your browser updated
4) make sure you have a pop-up

has a detailed "procedure" on removing this annoying companies advertisements.