Complaint Review: Moxie Pest Control

• Submitted: Sun, July 20, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, January 09, 2013

• Reported By:Orange County California
Moxie Pest Control
310 S. Maple Ste. J Corona, California U.S.A.

Moxie Pest Control Deceptive Hiring Scheme Corona California

*Consumer Comment: This company is a Complete Joke

*Consumer Comment: Empty threats from a blowhard bully

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Remove post or face immediate legal action

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Remove post or face immediate legal action

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: managment issues

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: managment issues

*UPDATE Employee: Management Response

I worked for Moxie Pest Control. I have no hard feelings, and have many friends that still work there (until they find new jobs). I simply wish to warn others.

The Pest Control industry has never been known as a haven for honest, upright companies...and Moxie Pest Control is no exception. In fact, Moxie Pest Control seems to display some of the more detestable qualities present in the industry.

First, one would do well to look at Moxie's employment records at www.pestboard.ca.gov. You will see that nearly all of Moxie's employees have an "RA" or registered applicator's license, the lowest license available in California. Moxie prefers to hire first-time pest control employees, and indoctrinate them with false information. This, along with Moxie's deceptive pay promises, leads to its huge turnover rate which is indicated by the huge list of "RA" employees on the website. (The majority of the ''FR" employees are salesman that go door to door during the summer.)

I will attempt to briefly explain Moxie's compensation. Salesmen are promised the best pay in the industry per contract. However, according to a current Moxie manager (name omitted for his protection) the pay analysis is inaccurate as it takes Initial Service Prices that are rarely charged. Moxie salesman typically offer initial services for 35 or even less. This "huge discount" is used by nearly all pest control companies to win business. Certainly this is less than honest, but likely forgivable.

For Technicians, the situation is worse. Techs are promised $2500 per month, told they will be a salary employee, and are exposed to other "Techs" (usually the Head Technician) who claim they work 5 days per week for about 5-7 hours per day. When reality sets in, the new technician will find himself working 6 days per week, usually working over 60 hours, and as much as 68 hours in the summer. (At $2500/month, 40 hours=$15.63/hr. 68 hours=Less than $8/hr. One can see how good pay quickly becomes mediocre.) At first, Techs are willing to work long hours, as they are under the impression that their base rate is $2500, and they are making overtime on top. However, they will be stunned when they find their paycheck is still $2500, and that they are not salary employees, but rather hourly, and paid less than $8/hr to boot.

Both Dave (Corona Office) and Jason (Company founder) will deny these allegations, I know them both very well. They are both well-read in sales tactics, and their favorite is silence, wherein they will stare you in the face until you say something. (According to several books this indicates the weaker party in the discussion, and opens the door for the silent party to negotiate in his favor). Expect a lot of silent moments as they are always trying to sell their employees on something, whether it is diluting pesticides past their effective levels or always saying "yes" to customers even if it means lying. This is an irritant to many employees, both salesman and technicians alike. In fact, many of the Corona employees refer to their boss as "Shady Dave" behind his back.

Lastly, this is not an isolated problem. Jason has been using this same type of compensation scheme since he started the company in Texas. And because of his supposed religious affiliation, he has heavily recruited members of his own claimed faith to work for him. Naturally, these individuals feel a religious bond with him, and therefore feel (falsely so) that they can trust him. The number of employees defrauded at this point is likely in the hundreds, not to mention the thousands of customers that are cheated.

One would do well not to work for, or do business with, Moxie Pest Control.

Ipm professional
Orange County, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2008 10:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Moxie-Pest-Control/Corona-California-92880/Moxie-Pest-Control-Deceptive-Hiring-Scheme-Corona-California-353523. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Moxie Pest Control

This company is a Complete Joke

AUTHOR: Alexander Bayless is a Douchbag - (United States of America)

take your lawsuit and sick it in your wifes ass!

Empty threats from a blowhard bully

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

It amazes me at the level of stupidity some people in top positions have.

Obviously if this post was of an "ex-employee", that person is most likely near broke and /or unemployed, and that may be the reason for venting about some very believable workplace issues.

You cannot get blood out of a stone. So, you are going to spend time and money to sue someone, where there is no chance of getting anything in return.

You are, in my OPINION, the typical BLOWHARD BULLY.

Or, maybe just an idiot.

Even if you did win and get a judgement, that person can simply file BK and tell you to take a hike.  Ever think of that??

That's exactly what I would do.  You get NOTHING.

Hey! I have an idea! Why don't you sue me???  I can demonstrate my strategy to you first hand.

FYI...It's NOT "libel" if it's true.  I saw nothing libelous in the above posts.  I don't think a jury would either.

You need to get a serious grip on reality.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Remove post or face immediate legal action

AUTHOR: Legal Counsel for Moxie Pest - (USA)

Warning to Author: Please take notice that EcoSure Pest Control, LLC has initiated legal action in the United States District Court, District of Utah, Case No. 2:09-cv-01108-DB due to false statements made by the person responsible for this post.  In this action, EcoSure seeks to subpoena the records of Xcentric Ventures, LLC for your contact information and any other messages that you have posted on the website ripoffreport.comunder the pseudonym IPM professional- Orange County California or any other fictitious name about Moxie Pest Control.  If you do not respond to this posting within five (5) business days with your true and correct contact information to: R. Brett Evanson, Esq. via email at bevanson@hmho-law.com or facsimile at (801) 374-1724, we will subpoena that information as outlined above.  You may have the right to respond to the above referenced subpoena.  If you intend to respond to the above referenced subpoena, please notify us of your intent to do so.  Please note that EcoSure recently won a lawsuit against Johnny Hebda who also posted libeled online about David, EcoSure, and Moxie Pest Control.  The judge awarded David $1.9 million in damages plus attorney's fees.  If you do not remove this post at once, we will seek a judgment against you for a similar amount of damages and request from the court that you also pay all attorneys fees.  Thank you for your presumed cooperation and willingness to resolve this matter amicably.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Remove post or face immediate legal action

AUTHOR: Legal Counsel for Moxie Pest - (USA)

Warning to Author: Please take notice that EcoSure Pest Control, LLC has initiated legal action in the United States District Court, District of Utah, Case No. 2:09-cv-01108-DB due to false statements made by the person responsible for this post.  In this action, EcoSure seeks to subpoena the records of Xcentric Ventures, LLC for your contact information and any other messages that you have posted on the website ripoffreport.comunder the pseudonym Sean Nichols - Corona (U.S.A.) or any other fictitious name about Moxie Pest Control.  If you do not respond to this posting within five (5) business days with your true and correct contact information to: R. Brett Evanson, Esq. via email at bevanson@hmho-law.com or facsimile at (801) 374-1724, we will subpoena that information as outlined above.  You may have the right to respond to the above referenced subpoena.  If you intend to respond to the above referenced subpoena, please notify us of your intent to do so.  Please note that EcoSure recently won a lawsuit against Johnny Hebda who also posted libeled online about David, EcoSure, and Moxie Pest Control.  The judge awarded David $1.9 million in damages plus attorney's fees.  If you do not remove this post at once, we will seek a judgment against you for a similar amount of damages and request from the court that you also pay all attorneys fees.  Thank you for your presumed cooperation and willingness to resolve this matter amicably.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

managment issues

AUTHOR: Paul Bridges - (U.S.A.)

I assume im talking to either Heath or Joey. Moxie is dishonest if not illegal in their hiring methods. techs are given the answers to the state tests that are given to ensure that a tech is qualified to handle pesticides. This is fact, because they gave me the book of answers. and as for the "great pay" in the winter. Its true, unless your in the 70percent that is supposedly rightfully fired in the winter. I saw upwards of fifty employees in the summer drop to eleven in winter. And when I was one of those, the first time I was "let go" because they just needed better employees at the time, I couldn't even get unemployment. This manager is spending a lot of time trying to explain away things that everyone who has ever been employed by moxie already knows. Just look at some more employee blogs and you will realize that we are all saying the same thing. Im not bitter, but the things these managers are saying are deceptive to the point that I have to say something. They know me and still have my number, I doubt they will call. I would still be an employee, if the company still existed. Good pay means nothing without job security. The owner sold the company and took away my job, and is now selling the same lies to someone else under a different company name and these managers have followed him.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

managment issues

AUTHOR: Paul Bridges - (U.S.A.)

Management Response

AUTHOR: Moxie Pest Control - (U.S.A.)

Wow. This is either the most disgruntled employee I have ever seen or a competitor who is trying to bad mouth our company to acquire new business. Probably the latter. So much of the complaint is blatant lies I don't know where to begin.

First, the comment about an RA license. This is the standard required license required by California state law to perform pest control services by a technician. If you check any company, including Orkin and Terminix, you will find their technicians have the same RA license. Unfortunately this person is trying to make a big issue out of the state's standard license. The one other license available is the FR license of which many of our inspectors/technicians have. In fact if you look at the other well known companies I mentioned you will notice many of them do not have hardly any FR licenses. Therefore we are doing very well in this department.

As for compensation, we do believe we have the highest paid compensation in the industry. Do some homework and compare us to Orkin or Terminix and you will see for yourself. Our technicians, and sales representatives, are paid well because we do more for our customers than the majority of our competitors including the de-webbing of overhangs/eaves and yard treatment to name a few. We are very up front about our compensation and every employee signs paperwork that clearly states their compensation and that they understand the compensation structure.

In our industry, it is very rare to find a company that will start a new technician at $2500 per month. It is true that our technicians generally work Saturdays (or every other Saturday), but this is why our company pays more. Senior Technicians at Moxie can make as much as $5000 per month. I personally have worked in the Pest Control industry for 6 years now and have never found a company that will pay that much to a residential pest control technician (however i'm not saying it is impossible, just rare). Our job postings online for help wanted do state $2500 per month, and technicians make great commissions for finding referral business or signing up friends and family. Technicians are also given a company vehicle to get to and from work, a nextel phone, and medical/dental insurance (half of the insurance premium is paid for by the company).

The claims made about working over 60 hours are bogus. Perhaps once a summer during the peak month of August is when this might occur. Techncians are obviously paid overtime for this extra work. Our pay structure is similar to a salary. If technicans finish early (average finish time in the summer is 5:30 and the fall/winter/spring is 3:30) they are still considered on call until 6:30 and are paid for that time. So generally the hourly rate does look lower but they are guaranteed $2500 per month. If you actually calculated the amount of time worked and compared the monthly rate it would be $12.82 per hour during the fall/winter/spring just as an apprentice technician to start! This is practically unheard of throughout our industry. What is even better about Moxie is that we offer the salary throughout the slow times of the year when many companies limit the amount of work available to techicians in the winter and pay them less due to less hours of work. If anything, Moxie's pay structure is overly generous and guarantees pay/work while other companies are cutting hours/pay.

As far as the personal attacks against the managers and owners, this is unprofessional, prejudice, and dishonest. I have known both of them for years and found them to be very honest and caring men. They encourage us to be forthright with our customers and place the highest importance upon reputation. Although I know they were both disappointed to read this, unfortunately this is the price good people pay for owning/managing a multimillion dollar company. Moxie Pest Control has been the fastest growing pest control company in Southern California for 4 years running. The company was listed 64th largest pest control company out of the 20,000 in the United States after just 3 years. It's hard to argue with 40,000 customers in Southern California after just 3 and a half years of doing business here. Hey, we must be doing something right!