Complaint Review: Multy Electronics

• Submitted: Wed, July 29, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, July 29, 2009

• Reported By:Haiti Other
Multy Electronics
1333 Broadway New York, New York U.S.A.

Multy Electronics ripoff, overpriced products, confusing customers, intimidating customers, violent behavior New York New York

I was on a holiday in New York, looking for good lenses for my Canon 40 D camera. I went into this small shop on Broadway and tried a couple of lenses on my camera. I noticed that the prices were high but then again, good lenses do cost money.

I was looking at the 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 lens and mistook it for the newer model, 70-300 mm. I remembered that it's price was somewhere was around 700 dollars and when I got the price of the lousy 75-300 mm lens "down" to 650, I thought I had made a good deal and bought the lens for 650 dollars (+ tax). Only afterwards I realized I had paid over 200 % overprice for the lens.

The price tags in the store have ridiculous sums of money on them, like 1500 $ for the 75-300 mm lens, but the salesmen are careful to rip the tags off afterwards, after you buy something from the shop. In the shop there was in fact a sign stating that restocking products is possible for a 20 % fee. When I asked about that the following day, having found out I had been ripped off, the employees told me that I'd have to talk to the owner, who was unavailable (having sex at the moment, as they told me). Also they wouldn't give me his phone number and told me that it would be a long time until he'd be back in the store. This in fact seems to me to border on breaking the NY laws on informing customers about the store's refund/restocking policies.

The following day I tried to return the lens to the shop, with little luck of course. I ended up giving a hundred more dollars to these thieves, because for that price I got two other lenses, the total real value of which being a little over 200 dollars. They wrote me a new receipt, in which they had written "the customer is satisfied with this deal". I told them that that is not the case and I cannot sign such a receipt, then I tried to draw a line over these words in the receipt. That's when the most violent of the employees twisted the pen from my hand, hurting my thumb while doing it. Finally they wrote me a new receipt without the words I didn't want in there. I got out with my three new lenses, immensely dissatisfied of course.

Ripped-off customer

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2009 11:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Multy-Electronics/New-York-New-York-10018/Multy-Electronics-ripoff-overpriced-products-confusing-customers-intimidating-customers-474558. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Multy Electronics