Complaint Review: My Bodyguard German Shepard dogs

*General Comment: Love My Body Guard

*Consumer Comment: My BodyGuard Dogs

*Author of original report: Nauseated Buyer

*UPDATE Employee: Response to Author

*Consumer Comment: I am not an employee, but a happy customer

*Author of original report: Buyer

*Consumer Comment: GSD

*Consumer Comment: My Bodyguard Dogs

*Consumer Comment: My Bodyguard Dogs

*General Comment: False Statement

*Author of original report: buyer

*General Comment: Bait and switch? Hardly.

My wife and I viewed several dog breeders in Illinois in hopes of purchasing a German Shepard.  We contacted the owner of the Company, (Julie), and arranged to drive to their facilicty the next day.  Upon arrival we were immediatly offered to enroll into their dog training classes.  We still have'nt seen the dog we came for.  The different sales pressure continued while we waited 30 minutes to view the puppie for purchase.  Finally we were given time to spend with the dog while we waited to sigh purchase contract.  Now the cost of their dogs are, as quoted, 1800- 2200 and 2500 for first pick.  We were quoted the highest amount due to it being the last male ( apparently the rules change) and it being an imported dog.   Upon signing the purchase of the dog, the price started to go up.  175.00 for tax and before she continued to keep adding services, I interrupted and asked " what happened to the agreed price of 2500 out the door? Now this is a dog not a corvette.  She jumped to her feet and began to verbally attack me over my questioning the price change and rising. I explained this is business, now we traveled 2 hours in an ice storm to get there, why the increase? She then grabbed all the dogs paperwork and ordered us off the property in front of approximately 30 other customers.  Now my wife is crying and I give in and tell her, OK I will pay the higher amount.  She still ordered us out of the building Qoute! My people love me, they don't question me.  Well were I come from, my people love me too. What does that have to do with the price of the dog? Still the order remained, GET OUT!  We are senior citizens and traveled along way to spend 3000.00 this is not fair labor practice to anyone.  Beware, BAIT and SWITCH !

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2014 01:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/My-Bodyguard-German-Shepard-dogs/Marengo-Illinois-60152/My-Bodyguard-German-Shepard-dogs-WARNING-Bait-and-switch-scam-Marengo-Illinois-1118426. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on My Bodyguard German Shepard dogs

Not a rip-off

AUTHOR: GSD Lover - (USA)

Although Julie can be quite enthusiastic and sometimes her conversation jumps from topic to topic, I know that she is not, in any way, a bait and switch type of owner.

We bought a GSD last year and we did discuss training and her other suite of services before I bought my puppy. It was helpful so I could determine what the whole experience would cost me. Just knowing all she/they do for an owner helped make my decision to buy from them. Whenever I have asked if they want payment NOW for a service in the FUTURE, they have usually opted for the time of service.

I am not an agist, but it seems that perhaps you, not understanding Julie and her wonderful personality, jumped the gun in your interpretation. For instance, I was told by them, up front, that the gender, which numerical pick I got and whether they were flown into the US or born here all were influencers in the final price. Yes folks, if you buy a dog in Illinois, you have to pay sales tax. Quite frankly, regardless of how old or young one is, calling a business owner crooked in their place of business with their customers standing there, is rude and innappropriate.

They price their accessories, which include dog food, at less than most pet stores, and they offer manufacturer coupons, which they also accept, to keep all those costs down. They also carry only the toys that are safe and not unhealthy so we can buy with confidence.

#2 General Comment

Love My Body Guard

AUTHOR: Debbie - (USA)

I have been a customer of My Body Guard for 5 years now. My dog is 5 today. My children have been involved in the Junior handler program for all of those 5 years. We have volunteered our time and have trained our dog there and can attest to the comments that Cathy, Greg and Tom have made. Julie, Amanda and all of the staff at My Body Guard have been Awesome! They are always there if we have questions and have given my girls an invaluable love for animals that has given my one daughter the idea to minor in college for animal care. They run a reputable business - and I feel that one person who came in looking for an argument shouldn't be able to ruin it! It is an awesome place to pick out a family pet, train and make new friends who have similar interests! Awesome breeder!! Oh, yea - I'm over 21 and do not work there.

My BodyGuard Dogs

AUTHOR: Lynn - ()

I was not at the kennel on the day this couple was there, but can attest to the fact that I have spent many Saturdays at My BodyGuard for training classes for my Rottweiler, and have never seen anyone treated with anything but respect. Julie, Amanda and the rest of the staff are some of the most kind and caring people I have ever met and are also very skilled at what they do. Saturdays are extremely busy, but their dogs are worth the wait. It’s a shame that this couple felt the need to slander the name of this very reputable business and the people who work there.

Nauseated Buyer

AUTHOR: Buyer - ()

This is like dealing with a bunch of adolescent children bullying somebody on Facebook. Adolescence always have to have the last word. Grow up! Go Away. If you people put as much work into one of those dogs as you have attacking your customers,  you have a champion dog to write about...  Alas, prospective buyers run for cover, you could be next.

Response to Author

AUTHOR: Amanda - ()

In response to your first comment from January 25, 2014...

Dear Jim,

There are always two sides to every story!

Let’s start with the definition of your claim: “Bait and Switch Scam”.  Before using wording like that, I think you should look up the definition which is as follows: advertising an item at an unrealistically low price aka “the bait” to lure customers to a store or selling place and then attempt to steer them to a higher- priced item, aka “the switch”.

Let’s stick to the topic at hand, the “Bait and Switch Scam” that you are claiming.  First of all, when calling to inquire about our puppies, you were told that there was a male import puppy still available and his price was $2,500 because he was imported from Germany.   This is a correct statement which brings me to the first part of your claim.  We did not falsely advertise the puppy’s price that you specifically were coming to see.  We showed you the exact puppy that was priced at $2,500 that you knew before you came out to see him.  So where is the bait and switch?  Hmm, to this point there isn’t.

Now let’s touch on the rest of your allegations, as I am the employee of My BodyGuard Dogs that you were SCREAMING at.  First of all, you should re-read your story as the majority of your story is completely false.

At this time, our pricing on puppies born here in the USA from our kennel are priced $1,800-$2,500, and import puppies start at $2,500.  Your statement about $1,800-$2,200 is incorrect.

Next, you state that upon signing the contract, the price started to go up.  This again is incorrect.  The cost of the puppy was the $2,500 you were quoted over the phone.  The additional amount to this cost was $175 for Illinois sales tax (which we have no control over).  That’s as far as you and I went…PERIOD.  You then started screaming at me, saying the cost is $2,500, and you will not allow the charges to rack up to $3,000.  At that time, I calmly walked away to ask the owner about the price you were quoted.  She confirmed $2,500 plus tax.  I then again came back to the table to confirm that was correct.  You continued to scream, not allowing me to finish speaking.  At that time, I went and got Julie to come and speak to you.  She came over to confirm the price and explain that there was Illinois sales tax, and as she apologized for not stating that over the phone, as it is implied that there is sales tax in Illinois for Illinois residents.  At this point, all of our customers in the building could hear you yelling and carrying on and on about paying the sales tax.  In my opinion, she did what any responsible business person would do, she apologized for her mistake of assuming you knew of sales tax, but since you continued screaming, she said if you didn’t trust her to leave, and again, more screaming, and then she finally had the courage to say she would not sell a dog to you.

How about talking about selling you on training from the moment you walked in the door.  Which is it, we were so busy that we couldn’t help you fast enough, or that we were trying to sell you on training?  No Jim, the only talk about training, was offering you to take the puppy through a puppy class that was about to go on.

There was not an ice storm on Saturday when you came out.  You chose to come in the morning, when she had told you that it was going to be busy, but she wanted to accommodate you wanting to come early, and that we just needed you to be a bit patient while we helped everyone.

How unfair it is for you to post whatever you want on the internet without even being held accountable for your statements?  You’ve misrepresented the facts.  You promised us on the way out the door that you were going to slam us on the internet, and you have.  Unfortunately, you didn’t tell the truth!

In response to your second comment from January 31, 2014....

Jim, no one is attacking you or your wife, but just simply adding the other side to your false story.  I am the only employee thus far who has responded to your report on this website.

I am not a child by any means, and once again, your accusations of Julie putting us up to this are incorrect.  Everyone who has responded so far are all adults.

We have all read your accusations, and want it to be known that you are not telling the truth about your experience with us.

As stated above, Julie did apologize for not saying there was sales tax and assuming you knew there would be, and that it was a misunderstanding.  Everyone can attest to that.

You also say she spent the next week slandering you and saying you don’t deserve a dog.  Again, she has yet to respond to you at all.

The definition of slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.  The only person making slanderous statements are you.

I am not an employee, but a happy customer

AUTHOR: Cathy - ()

Guess what.  I am not an employee.  Just a happy customer.  I am not some kid who works for her.  Actually parents know do about this, because I told them about the jerk who came into My Bodyguard Dogs and acted in such a manner.  They are also very happy customers of MBGD's.  They are also senior citizens; so quit using that label as some kind of defense.  Guess what, Mr Marine and Policeman.  A number of our club members are former service members, including Marines, retired police officers, etc.; including myself.  I am a US Army veteran, as well as a career Firefighter/Paramedic.  Julie is not my boss, I am a happy customer.  I saved up my $ to purchase my second GSD from her, and paid the required IL sales tax, like anyone else.    Wouldn't pay over the "quoted price"?  Meaning, you don't think you should have to pay sales tax?  That is not any fault of MBGD's.  Taxes are taxes.  MBGD's did not set the IL sales taxes.  If you don't like it, buy in another state.  Quit trying to make it look like you are being disadvantaged somehow because you are "senior citizens"..  Geeze.  As a fellow LEO, I would think you would have more respect for the rules and the laws.  Go away.

Buyer

AUTHOR: Buyer - ()

Again today I open my email to see these slanderous attacks continue, now from an employee, who by her own admission, has never met me.   I'm sure your parents would not approve of you going on the attack of two senior citizens whom you have never spoke with.  To know that Julie would influence thses young impressionable kids who work for her to go on the attack, is unbelieveable to us.  Young lady, I spent my entire life defending the Constitution as a U.S. Marine and a Policemen.  This is only about your boss qoutting a price of 2500, which as per her quote included all the import fees, vet fees and all cost included.  Upon signing the contract she began raising the price.  All of these attacks on my wife and I are because we wouldn't pay over the quoted price. Paying the tax was included in the price, until we got there.   Julie never once said " I'm sorry for the misunderstanding" Rather, She ordered us off the property. Then spent the next week slandering us as people who don't deserve a dog.  All of our pets have been rescued animals.  This time we wanted to buy one.   To my fellow buyers, don't put yourself through this. Shop elsewhere....

GSD

AUTHOR: Cathy - ()

By the way.  Learn how to spell the name of the breed.  It's German Shepherd Dog.  Not Shepard.

My Bodyguard Dogs

AUTHOR: Cathy - ()

To the "man" who complained about Julie and My Bodyguard Dogs.  I have been working with them for over 3 years.  I got my last two GSD's from them, and have trained with them extensively.  Julie is an outstanding breeder, who only breeds to the very strict standards set by the German SV.  She is also a breeder who is available for anything for the life of any puppy who comes from her.  She is available any time of day or night, for any question on your puppy. Oh, poor you, who could not be bothered to wait a minute, on a busy saturday, when My Bodyguard also has group obedience lessons going on all day.  Oh, you must be so special, that everyone else should drop everything that they are doing and wait for you?  Shame on you, mister-thinks-he-is-so-special, to try to take something away from an outstanding GSD breeder.  How dare you post something bad about Julie and MBGD's on this site.  Your selfishness and being self-absorbed will possibly turn away someone who really cares about getting a quality GSD puppy from MBGD's.  A shame, because those people may get a GSD from a puppy mill breeder instead of a reputable breeder like Julie, because of you.  Good job, loser.  You have possibly turned away people from getting a GSD from a really great breeder, with really great dogs.  Nice job.

My Bodyguard Dogs

AUTHOR: Cathy - ()

I have worked with My Bodyguard Dogs in the past; with both of my dogs coming from them.  I have also trained with them.  Julie of My Bodyguard is always available, no matter how insignificant a question.  She truly wants all of her puppies to go to good homes; and also is available to those new puppy owners for the life of their dogs.  I did not see this man who has so many complaints.  But, he sounds like the kind of guy who has tons of money and expects everyone else to fall to their knees and please him.  Poor guy.  He may have had to wait in line on a busy saturday at the kennel.  Oh, poor him, who had to wait his turn in line.  In my opinion, a person like that does not even deserve to have a German Shepherd Dog.  He is the kind of person who likes to throw his money around, and have a GSD as a status symbol.  Too bad he can't see past his money and recognize a truly good, responsible, reputable GSD breeder.  Good luck to you with all of your money.  Leave Julie and My Bodyguard Dogs alone.  Go pick on someone else, loser.

#11 General Comment

False Statement

AUTHOR: Greg - ()

I have been doing business with My Bodyguard German Shepherds for over 3 years. I was there when this gentleman and his wife arrived. I witnessed him waiting to be greeted. The wait was less than 5 minutes, due to a class being in session with Julie teaching the class, and the other employs working with other customers who were also taking dogs home that day.

This gentleman appeared to become agitated because he had to wait his turn just like everyone else did.

I was not in the discussion while Amanda was explaining and showing this customer the puppies that available, but I did see these people look at a couple of different dogs within 15 minutes of their arrival.

They then sat at a table to discuss terms and paperwork. Once again, I was only a witness by sight, not hearing. I witnessed Amanda get up from the table and interrupt the class to have Julie talk to this couple, which forced Amanda to have to take over the class from Julie.

A few minutes later Julie returned to resume teaching the class. The gentleman than approached Marty the other owner and started talking extremely loud, stating that he was not going to pay extra for Illinois tax’s.

The gentleman was asked to leave the premises because of his rude behavior not only to the owners and staff of the kennel, but also because of the scene he was causing in front of customers families with children of all ages.  That type of behavior is never tolerated at the kennel and I fully agree with the owners refusing to business with a person like that. I felt embarrassed for his poor wife.

buyer

AUTHOR: Buyer - ()

It's amazing this witness seems to know what every employee was doing during our contract signing.   We are further convinced of her unsavory business ethics. To counter my complaint with a comprehensive b.s. story like this. Then to say we screamed at anyone is further insulting.   What ever.  Once a spoiled little brat, always one. Oh Julie, by the way, we purchased at higher valued dog from your competitors the same day. They didn't offer us a tax free discount if we pay cash. Apparently they are a legal and reputable business.  Good luck .  Business like yours sooner or later wind up on channel 7.

#13 General Comment

Bait and switch? Hardly.

AUTHOR: TomJ - ()

My wife and I have purchased two dogs from My BodyGuard in the past 3 years. We train there weekly and have two of our children involved in their Junior Handlers program. We have experienced exactly the *opposite* of what this gentleman is claiming. Julie, Amanda and their staff are polite, professional, wonderful people to work with who care a great deal about their dogs and the people who purchase them. Actually, they care so much about their dogs that they will refuse to sell them to people who they feel will not be a good fit for the dog or are difficult and obnoxious. The gentleman filing this report fits into the latter of the two categories.

I was at the kennel Saturday when this gentleman came in to purchase the import puppy. What I witnessed completely contradicts his claims. The truth of the matter is that this gentleman walked into the kennel and began being difficult with the staff as soon as he walked in the door.

Saturday was "go home" day for a large litter, and as such there were several families present with their small children in addition to customers who were there for their weekly obedience classes. The kennel was full, and it was busy as puppies were being prepped to go home, with the staff and the junior handlers busily bathing pups, preparing crates, etc. Amanda was busy trying to get contracts signed, AKC registration forms completed, etc. This guy walked in like he owned the place and expected to have everyone drop what they were doing and take of him immediately. He went so far as to follow Amanda behind the desk and into the office of the kennel, barking at her to go faster with the contract.

When informed that he had to pay sales tax, the gentleman flipped out and started screaming at Amanda in full view and earshot of the families waiting on their puppies. Again, there were a lot of small children around. Amanda decided to get Julie, the kennel owner and have her speak to the gentleman. Again, he launched right into another tirade, screaming at Julie. At this point she decided she had had enough of him and told him that she would not sell the dog to him and told him to leave the business. At this point Julie's husband spoke with the man and apparently he finally decided he would pay the Illinois sales tax on the dog. However, it was too late and he had wore out his welcome. He left in a fit and slammed the door to the kennel on the way out, leaving the owners of the kennel to apologize to their customers who just witnessed this grown man act like a little toddler. The only person who raised their voice then entire time during this was the customer, not Julie, Amanda or anyone on their staff. I can only imagine how embarrassed this man's wife was by his temper tantrum and behavior.

His claims of being ripped off are utter garbage.