Complaint Review: My Family .Com Or Ancestry.com

• Updated: Wed, June 23, 2004

• Reported By:Erie Pennsylvania
My Family .Com Or Ancestry.com
Internet U.S.A.

My Family.Com Or Ancestry.com repeatedly multiple charges to my Credit card and no service give Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: possible log in and multiple subscriptions

For several months they have been charging my Credit cards multiple times ie. May 4,2004 for $29.95 May 6 2004 for $29.95 and May 12 2004 for $29.95.... On top of this If i go to their Web site to look up anything I can get no information they just want more money.....

I know this has been going on for several months and I am tired of it. I do not have the actural number of months I been charged multiple times, but I can check with my Credit card company if need be I am demanding all multiple payments be reissued to the credit companies so I get Credit

Kathy
Erie, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2004 09:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/My-Family-Com-Or-Ancestrycom/internet/My-FamilyCom-Or-Ancestrycom-repeatedly-multiple-charges-to-my-Credit-card-and-no-service-95088. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on My Family .Com Or Ancestry.com

#1 Consumer Suggestion

possible log in and multiple subscriptions

AUTHOR: James B. - (U.S.A.)

Kathy,

With your multiple billings per month like you stated for May, What I think may have happened to you is that you were not getting logged in to their web site. They have many subscriptions but since most have different subscription rates, the amount of money you have been billed seems to indicate you are being billed multiple times for the same subscription. If you don't get logged in when you access their web site I believe you could easily sign up again for the same subscription. I doubt if they have any software (although they should) to prevent a person not logged from signing up multiple times for the same thing.

MFI has a shabby auto-renew policy in my opinion. If you signed up for monthlies they will bill and bill you every month for EVERY subscription as long as that card is good or until you cancel exactly as stated in their terms and conditions. But in this case I don't believe they are at fault but if there customer service is any good they should try to resolve the issue and the fact that you had trouble accessing anything.

My suggestion is to first look at this good Ripoff report advice at this link:

Second: Call the number (usually on the card) for your credit card company. Tell them your story and find out how much and when for the charges (may be charged as MyFamily.com but look at your bill). They will want you to try to resolve with Ancestry.com first.

Third: The terms and conditions you are supposed to read when you sign up clearly states you must call 1-800-262-3787 (also from FAQ depress #4 after the number) to cancel. Call that number and see if 1. you can get anything but put on hold or 2.if they will cooperate (I doubt it). They may tell you the monthlies had a years committment and for $50 more they will cancel or maybe in this case they will offer something else but BUYER BEWARE. A free subscription extension usually keeps the auto renewal clause in force. Prior to the end of April there was nothing in the terms and conditions or anywhere on their website about the years committment or $50 cancellation fee for a monthly subscription.

Fourth: if you can't get through or they are not cooperative call the number for your credit card company again and dispute every Ancestry.com charge you can and watch your bill in the future.