Complaint Review: MyMovingCentral

• Updated: Thu, December 08, 2011

• Reported By: Phoenix — Roseville Michigan United States of America
MyMovingCentral
6263 N McCormick Blvd Suite # 312 Chicago, Illinois United States of America

MyMovingCentral Chicago Movers Raised price; Damaged Items; Missing Items; lied to BBB in reply to my complaint Chicago, Illinois

*Author of original report: Follow up on this (from original author)

*Author of original report: Response from PROUD AMERICAN MOVING NETWORK

*Author of original report: Forgot to mention....

Where do I begin with this company?

Originally, we contracted with Proud American Moving Network. They subcontracted our move to MyMovingCentral WITHOUT OUR KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT.

Our quote started out at $2466.00. Then became $3376.80. Final price? $5303.31.

Our quote included services such as fuel (Proud American's website says no fuel surcharges. Surprise, there was a $369.51 fuel surcharge. It included disassembly and reassembly of all furniture (see below, they did not reassemble, and MMC said I did not tell them too, and there would have been a charge). Also included was a $1067 fee for Packaging Fees. This included shrink wrapping furniture, and even taping lighter boxes together (why? Proud American knew we have lifting restrictions!).

We were dissastisfied with the customer service. [continued below]....
..... For ten days, we had no idea where our belongings were. Calls to Proud American (who we thought had our stuff) resulted in hang-ups; emails were not replied to. We were given phone numbers for the driver and movers - those resulted in "I've never worked there", "Who gave you this number", and other voice message boxes were full.

Once we finally learned that MyMovingCentral had our goods, they were not very helpful either, and quite rude.

We were supposed to receive a call with a new price BEFORE our stuff was picked up
from the storage unit, this never happened. Also, the only way we knew our stuff was picked up was because we called our storage unit. (in the BBB reply, MMC states the storage unit claimed I called and told them to release my stuff. Fact: I never called, nor would have authorized a different company or a new price without speaking directly to the driver or sales rep). Wouldn't it have been logical to call ME?  They also said they called me multiple times and left voice mail. I never received a single call or VM from them. I did receive all other calls made to me during this time. Ask yourself this...why would a person call the storage unit, instead of the movers or sales rep?

Our furniture was not reassembled, as promised. Even though it was delivered to a storage unit, there was plenty of room to do this. (MMC's rebuttal is I did not ask; and they charge a fee).

Much of the furniture that was disassembled did not have the correct screws, wheels, etc., attached to itif at all.

Most of our furniture sustained damage. Two end tables and a bookcase were completely destroyed.  Other furniture had the finish peeled off because the movers taped it. (Note: On the Entertainment Center we did mention ahead of time a small, broken piece. However, as it was coming off the truck, the entire bottom front was visibly damaged; as well as the top molding, as well). (Yes, it's particle board - PA knew this....we had even sent photos to them).

We expected professional movers. Not hired help from a temporary staffing agency (3 guys from Labor Ready at the delivery site).

Heavy duty storage totes were damaged/destroyed.  Some in transit, (I photographed stuff coming off the truck). Some were damaged when placed in the storage unit by the Labor Ready movers, piling heavy boxes on light ones.

Other items repacked by the movers were destroyed (they took smaller boxes and placed into very large boxes) A box labeled Hand Weights was placed on a box that was obviously a glass salad bowl set, breaking most of the dishes). Don't ask me why they boxed a guitar in a hard shell case in one of these boxes....

Missing items: A 4 foot tall pedestal fan (this should have been the first item taken out of our storage unit in MI). A tool box. A cooler. 1 box with 50 CD's. 7 plastic storage totes with clothing, bath towels, etc. A marble cutting slab and rolling pin, which had been in a box with other stuff (obviously, someone opened this box).

Manuals for TVs, etc., were in the drawer of the entertainment center. They were removed and are missing. A TV remote also disappeared from here.

Sergio (truck driver)  informed me that the trash (shrink wrap, cardboard) was my responsibility to dispose of (see MyMovingCentral website, highlighted section: .and disposing articles as required.)

I have to wonder how professional the driver was. We got a storage unit that was direct in/out for a 53-foot truck. He had to ask instructions (of the storage company owner) on how to get in and out. We expect an experienced driver. (We had to get this storage unit because MMC was threatening us with Shuttle Fees, and could not even estimate them).

We were never given weight tickets. We understand we should have been given copies of these upon delivery. Of course, we were never given info onarbitration, or the FMCSA booklet entitled Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move. (their BBB rebuttal, they state they gave us all this, or emailed it.). I learned my rights via www.protectyourmove.gov while we were trying to find out where our household goods were.

Additionally, when we contracted with Proud American (whom then subcontracted the job to MMC) we were told our household goods would be delivered on June 20. We did not get our stuff until June 30. In fact, we did not know our move would be subcontracted to another company. During this time, we had no idea where our stuff was.

In their BBB rebuttal, they call me a liar. They call me someone who just wants to damage their good name.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2011 09:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MyMovingCentral/Chicago-Illinois-60659/MyMovingCentral-Chicago-Movers-Raised-price-Damaged-Items-Missing-Items-lied-to-BBB-in-804792. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MyMovingCentral

Follow up on this (from original author)

AUTHOR: Phoenix - (United States of America)

After receiving the email from Proud American, I responded to ask for copies of the weigh tickets, and all paperwork I supposedly signed. Have not received a reply, or any of the information requested.

Note: I have previously asked MyMovingCentral for copies of the weigh tickets, they insist I was given them. And will not provide copies.

Response from PROUD AMERICAN MOVING NETWORK

AUTHOR: Phoenix - (United States of America)

If you read the story above, we contracted with Proud American Moving Network, who subcontracted with MyMovingCentral.

This is the reply I received:

P.O. Box 880505 Port St. Lucie, FL 34988 Phone: 877-CSI (274)-0074 Fax: 772-204-0644
December 5, 2011
Jennifer McGregor
5198 Foxbridge Circle N 3
Clearwater, GA 33760
Subject: Resolution for Claim ID 7632 / Claim # 143-492
Dear Ms. McGregor,
This letter is provided in response to your pending claim for loss or damage arising out of your relocation under Atlas Movers, LLC (Atlas) Claim ID / number noted above.

We have now completed a review of your claim and prepared to address your claim. After careful review of all relevant shipping documents, Atlas must deny your claim for the following reason:
Inv. #
Marble Rolling Pin
Missing Box
Kitchen Chair
Packing
*Deny Charges Assessed Correctly (Packing)
Overcharge
*Deny Charged Per Revised Binding Estimate
Fuel Charge
*Deny Charges Assessed Correctly (Fuel)
Delay
*Deny Within Delivery Time Limit
Complaint
*Referred to Carrier
Total Settlement Amount:
Analysis Detailed Explanation:
*Refunded by Carrier Per the signed Settlement Agreement provided by your carrier, you have already filed a claim and were reimbursed for your damaged and missing items. By signing the agreement you have relinquished your rights to file any further claims against your carrier. Therefore, the carrier must respectfully deny this portion of your claim.
*No Exceptions at Time of Delivery No notations regarding this item were taken at time of delivery, to indicate that it was missing. While shipment was delivered at destination, you should have checked the inventory and notate if you did not receive any of your items. Your statement to which you signature attests, indicates that all items were delivered in good condition. Therefore, the carrier is unable to accept liability for this portion of your claim.
*Charges Assessed Correctly (Packing) Per the Packing certificate which we have on file and to which your signature attests, we find that you have authorized each and every charge as detailed on the certificate. Therefore, the carrier must decline this portion of your claim.
*Charged Per Revised Binding Estimate Your original estimate did not include the additional services you have requested at time of pick up. Per federal regulations the carrier must provide a revised binding estimate to include all additional items and services in order to avoid the requirement of billing the difference in charges after delivery and within 30 days. The Revised Binding Estimate, in conjunction with your Bill of Lading clearly indicates that you have agreed and approved the charges that were added to your bill to which your signature attest. Your move cost as described on your Bill of Lading is actually less than the cost on your revised binding estimate. Therefore, the carrier is unable to accept liability to this portion of your claim.
*Charges Assessed Correctly (Fuel) Per the Revised Estimate which we have on file and to which your signature attests, we find that you had additional items which were not included in the original estimate and have authorized the increase in charges as a result. The Fuel Surcharge as detailed on your estimate and per the carriers applicable tariff is a percentage of the total charges of your move which automatically increases once the move charges increase. Since you have authorized the changes of order which resulted in increased charges, the carrier must decline this portion of your claim.
*Within Delivery Time Limit Based on the first available delivery date you have provided the carrier with, and in conjunction with the carriers applicable tariff, which allows up to 21 business days for the delivery from the first available date, the delivery was made within the allowed time limit. Therefore, the carrier must respectfully decline this portion of your claim.
*Referred to Carrier Since the carrier must only offer compensation for loss, damage, delay, or overcharge, no further compensation will be offered for the complaint portion of your claim. However, the information provided by you on the claim form and / or any attachments has been referred to your carrier for them to internally address the concerns expressed and / or any allegation made by you against their employees / agents. Atlas regrets you are not completely satisfied with the service provided to you and may use the information provided by you to implement necessary procedures to avoid future complaints.
Page 2
We regret your relocation did not take place without incident and apologize on behalf of your carrier for any inconveniences you may have suffered as a result. However, we trust that our above explanation will enable you to better understand the carriers position in this matter.
Best regards,
Steven B.
CSI - Claims Adjuster
Obo Atlas Movers, LLC (another name for scam mover Proud American Moving Network)

Is there a way to list this entire thing under the names of both companies? Thank you :)

Forgot to mention....

AUTHOR: Phoenix - (United States of America)

I forgot to mention this, and feel it is important.

When MMC stated, in their BBB rebuttal: The GUY at the (pickup) storage unit office said he talked to (me) and I stated to release our household goods from the unit to MMC...

Interesting fact: I've rented that storage unit for a few months. I made multiple trips there to put stuff in, sort stuff, package stuff, donate stuff. And the only person I ever saw in the office...was a woman named Lori.

So I do think this supposed phone call from me sounds quite suspicious.