Complaint Review: NAFS Of Canada

• Submitted: Tue, August 14, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, August 14, 2007

• Reported By:STONE MOUNTAIN Georgia
NAFS Of Canada
165 Lawrece Bell DR STE 100 Williamsville, New York U.S.A.

NAFS Of Canada Harassing me about someone else's debt ripoff Williamsville New York

NAFS of Canada keeps calling me about somebody else's automobile loan. I've told them to send me proof that I am the person they are looking for. They have not done so. I told them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act I was demanding that they never contact me again regarding this debt. They told me all they needed was similarity of name and they could call me all they wanted to. My name is similar to the person they are looking for. So they got my number from the phone book.

That's all they have to link me to the debtor. And they have harassed me unmercifully.

I have never had an auto loan, and told them. In another report (Report: #244044) Nathan Binder, an employee of the NAFS, said they only contact those that they have checked credit reports. Right, Nathan. If you had checked my credit report you would see that I am not the person you are looking for. So why are your employees harassing me?

They told me multiple times that if I would give them my full legal name, social security number, and fax a copy of my drivers license that they would then leave me alone if I was not the person they are looking for. But then any unscrupulous employees would have everything they need to steal my identity.

But if they send you a letter, you are required by law to respond within 30 days. If you don't, U. S. Congress has given them legal basis to sue you for someone else's debt and to legally assume that the debt is yours. So, keep a copy of the letter in your PERMANENT files and send it "certified with signature receipt required". When the receipt comes back keep it, also, in your files forever. State in the letter "I do not own this debt. This debt is not mine. Never contact me again regarding this debt." If the debt is not yours and they contact you again, take copies of your documentation to an attorney. The collector will owe YOU money!

It is important that you keep your documentation forever. Some collectors will often sell the debt later to someone with less scruples than they own. If they do, respond to that letter, also. But take your documentation to an attorney. They still have to pay you.

And if it shows up on your credit report you should contact an attorney with your documentation, also.

Many attorneys will take these cases without charging you. They get a percentage of your settlement from the collector.

If the debt is yours and you pay it, keep copies of your payments and copies of all documents in your permanent files forever. If you don't and it shows up on your credit report years later, you are out of luck.

John
STONE MOUNTAIN, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2007 08:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NAFS-Of-Canada/Williamsville-New-York-14221/NAFS-Of-Canada-Harassing-me-about-someone-elses-debt-ripoff-Williamsville-New-York-267356. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NAFS Of Canada