Complaint Review: NATIONAL MAGAZINE EXCHANGE

• Submitted: Fri, February 20, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, February 20, 2009

• Reported By:hazleton Pennsylvania
NATIONAL MAGAZINE EXCHANGE
16120 US HIGHWAY 19 N SUITE 400 Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.

NATIONAL MAGAZINE EXCHANGE my credit is ruined Clearwater Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Instructions to get a refund. This works. But you must be FIRM and PERSISTENT! And cancel that credit card before the add more.

I had recieved a couple of sweepstake notices and had ignored them until one day i decided to call the place up and find out what it was all about the representative that answered my phone call asked me for a code # so i gave it to him and them told me that i was eligable to win 2,000,000 dolllars and that all i had to do was buy a couple of magazines and i would automatically be entered into the sweepstakes i was also offered 2 watches which i never recieved so he kept trying until i gave in. that being something that i regret now i was about 18 when that happened and had just started to build my credit.

so i gave my credit card information to him and was told that i will only have to make about 3 payments which would be automatically taken out of my credit card so i agreed thinking that it would be as he told me but it wasnt they kept taking payments out and before i knew it i was going over my credit limit and recieving overdraft fees from my credit card i called up the number that was in my credit card invoice and started talking to a representative and when i told her that i wasnt interested in anymore magazines she hung up on me and when i called back the number i got a busy tone

honestly these people are sharks and are just out there to steal your money without any guilt honestly i couldnt make the payments on my credit card cuz they kept pilling up and that messed me up on my other bills to i just want to know what i can do to get back at these people and to those people out there who get these sweepstake offers dont give in to it cuz nobody is gonna win anyway thats just a way for them to scam you out of your money....

Anonymous
hazleton, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2009 04:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NATIONAL-MAGAZINE-EXCHANGE/Clearwater-Florida-33764/NATIONAL-MAGAZINE-EXCHANGE-my-credit-is-ruined-Clearwater-Florida-426407. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NATIONAL MAGAZINE EXCHANGE

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Instructions to get a refund. This really works for a cancelation and refund.

Call customer retention and do the following. (call 800-301-6247 or 800-325-3155 or 727-524-3600 or 727-535-0205). If you get someone who isn't helping HANG UP and call again.

The following data came from an employee in the customer retention dept.

We have rules. When someone threatens to call their credit card company and reverse the charge, and call the Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney General, and their lawyer, and the AUDIT BUREAU OF CIRCULATION, we CAN NOT try and 'save' the account we have to go straight to canceling the account with a full refund. If someone does make a threat and we don't cancel the account we'll get in trouble.

'I'm an employee of the national magazine exchange, I work in the Customer Service department actually called Customer RETENTION because our job is to get customers not to cancel. We get commission based on 'cancel requests' saved. We are scripted and have certain offers we have to make. First we try and spread the payments out then give them 4 years for the price of 3....and so on.

For people turned into a collection agency tell them you cancelled or that you want to cancel. NME uses collection agencies as a bluff but hasn't turned people over to the credit rating bureaus because they do not want the law after them. Try calling back and demanding a refund. That will work and they will leave you alone. If a collection agency calls tell them you cancelled and they will close your account. BE FIRM. In 20 years NME has never reported people to the credit rating bureaus

Also if you waited too long to cancel the first year you can still cancel years 2, 3, and 4. NME DOES NOT pay for those years until the year begins. They can cancel any later year that has not started and if the phone rep says otherwise they are lying.