Complaint Review: NRS Circulation

• Updated: Tue, May 18, 2010

• Reported By: tehpeng — Oceanside California United States of America
NRS Circulation
524 North Salina St. Syracuse, New York United States of America

NRS Circulation, Neighborhood Readers Services Sweepstakes Entry and Free Magazine Call Syracuse, New York

This morning I received a phone call from a woman "with NRS" who informed me that because I was a credit card holder I was automatically entered into a sweepstakes to win either a Ford Mustang, 25,000, or a vacation. I said okay, and she asked me which credit card I used the most. I replied "visa".

She started talking about how since I was entered in the sweepstakes I was eligible to receive magazine subscriptions "free of charge"(she said this a few times) and listed off a couple popular magazines. Again I replied okay. She told me that she was going to turn me over to her supervisor to verify my credit card number for entry in the sweepstakes.

Before she finished I asked her if I was buying anything today and she said "Well, the magazines..." at which point I hung up. If I hadn't asked that I imagine they would have taken my credit card number down "to verify my sweepstakes entry" and then charged me for the magazines.

This woman was blatantly lying to me, I've filed a report with the Better Business Bureau(they have 33 complaints in the past 36 months for these cretins). This sort of practice must be illegal, but I guess I can't prove that they wouldn't have told me I was spending money after all.

Don't give out your credit card number over the phone unless you initiated the call!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/18/2010 01:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NRS-Circulation/Syracuse-New-York-13208/NRS-Circulation-Neighborhood-Readers-Services-Sweepstakes-Entry-and-Free-Magazine-Call-Sy-604560. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NRS Circulation