• Report: #1120692

• Updated: Wed, February 12, 2014

• Reported By: shutdown — east bend North Carolina
, Select State/Province USA

National General Auto Insurance Ripped off Winston-Salem North Carolina

After having been with GMAC (now National General) car insurance for 20 years, I found a better deal and decided it was time to switch to another company. It was not renewal time (it was in the middle of my term) and I had already made at least one payment to NG. So, I called NG and asked them how to handle it. National General told me to not pay my bill and just wait until they sent me a letter notifying me of my cancellation date.

Then all I had to do was make sure I had the new policy with the new company in effect before my policy with them expired. And so I did exactly that. Then, a month after I had my new policy with a different company, NG sends me a bill for $25. I didn't think I would owe them any more money so I was shocked that they sent me a bill. So, I did the math and figured out that for a six month policy I had been paying them $2.63 a day according to what they charged me for six month term. That means the total I paid for six months divided by the number of days covered.

I figured out how much I had already paid them in payments and how many days they covered me for that money.  And it came out to almost exactly $2.63 a day so I figured they gave me my moneys worth by giving me my days worth of coverage for the money I had already paid and we were done. The figures came out exactly correct.

So, I called them to ask why they sent me this bill for $25. I called them several times and all they said was that I owed it for the number of days I was covered.  I finally called them again and they said the same thing. So, I told the Rep about the math I did and suddenly she came up with some idea that the $25 was a cancellation fee.

It seems they can't decide what that $25 is for. They say it's for the policy period one minute and then when I disputed that, they say it's a cancellation fee. I think the Reps are liars and they just say whatever they can to get your money. Just another example of major corporations trying to bleed the small guys pocket book as much as they can.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/03/2014 11:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-/Select-StateProvince/National-General-Auto-Insurance-Ripped-off-Winston-Salem-North-Carolina-1120692. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National