Complaint Review: National American Miss

• Updated: Wed, July 02, 2014

• Reported By: Gene92118 — Coronado California
National American Miss
21 Third Street Elmer, New Jersey USA

National American Miss Avoid National American Miss like the plague! Elmer New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: Incorrect

*Author of original report: NOT MADE ABOUT OUR DAUGHTER NOT WINNING

*General Comment: BBB accreidited??

*Consumer Comment: Not a Scam

*Consumer Comment: False Accusation

My wife entered our seven year old daughter into the National American Miss (NAMISS) contest.  When we were informed that our daughter was a "finalist," my wife was told she needed to pay $240 to continue in the contest. After she paid this amount, she told me they wanted another $240.00 to continue in the competition in addition to paying for a four day stay (accomodations and meals) at a Hilton Hotel where the next level of competition would take place.  When I researched NAM online, I read reports like: "NAMISS is a scam, it is a for profit business that earns millions annually. It is unethical, profit oriented, and preys on the parents of children who believe they are entering a legitimate contest..."  Based on the fact that there were 63 "finalists" from Southern California alone, it is clear that the aim for NAMISS to make money.  When this became evident, we contacted NAMISS and said that our daughter would not be competing and we wanted our $240.00 back.  We were told they have a no refund policy but would give us a $220.00 credit if our daughter wanted to participate the following year.  Unless parents are willing to invest thousands of dollars in this competition, they should avoid it like the plague.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/04/2013 09:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-American-Miss/Elmer-New-Jersey-08318/National-American-Miss-Avoid-National-American-Miss-like-the-plague-Elmer-New-Jersey-1089430. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National American Miss

Incorrect

AUTHOR: Rebootie6 - ()

Going to tell you why your "rip off" is full of you-know-what. My daughter participated in this program, and it was a great experience. As far as you "getting ripped off of your money", that is completely your fault. At the first meeting you attend, they tell you, out loud, spoken, not written in small print, that the cost of initial pagent entry is $480.00. You are advised to not just pay out of pocket, but to help your child go around your community and get business sponsors. That $240 was your first payment, and you payed that willingly. If they don't give refunds, it was your fault for not checking on that anyway. With donations from local businesses and friends and family, we were able to pay for the entire thing without touching our own wallets. All of this information was given to you when you signed up.

My daughter went out, earned the money, which was a life experience in itself. They are not exploiting children. They have a "no make up" rule for contestants under the age of 12. There is not judging on beauty. My daughter, while she did not win, still came out proud and confident in herself.

Any "rip offs" you experienced here were solely your fault. This program was amazing and we would do it all over again if given the opportunity. Next time, actually listen, read, and know what you are getting into before you throw a hissy fit about what YOU signed up for.

NOT MADE ABOUT OUR DAUGHTER NOT WINNING

AUTHOR: Gene92118 - ()

Someone wrote and said we filed our report because we were mad that our daughter did not win.  If the writer read our report, he or she would know that we asked for a refund for a competition in which our daughter never participated.  What we asked for was that NAMISS be upfront with parents at the very beginning about all the costs involved.  Is it too much to inform parents, "If your child is chosen as a finalist, in addition to paying $480 to enter this round of the competition, you will also have to pay for accomodations and food at a hotel where the pageant will be held over a three day period"?  Why anyone would question the need for transparency in these matters is beyond our comprehension.

#3 General Comment

BBB accreidited??

AUTHOR: Patricia - ()

I work in the Chicago School System.

I was speaking with a student who was rather excited by the prospect of being involved with this group.

She went to the open call I guess and was informed that she was in.

I was happy for her. She informed me that she needed sponcers and did not know how to go about it.

I told her I would help her. She gave me a brochoure detailing sponcership. It is indeed geared toward businessness.  It clearly states on the broshure that NAM IS BBB ACCREDITED. So I went to the BBB , just to find out that they have a F rating and are NOT Accredited. So why would this professional brochure have this on there?

I did not know how much the sponcership was until I researched the net.

I have printed all out for the student. Along with complaints from around the net, as well as postive comments.

I would have still sponsored her, however this false info on their hand out has me very concered, for it is indeed a lie, and that is good enoug me to NOT place any of my hard earned money into the hands of false and mis leading pratices.

Not a Scam

AUTHOR: Payton - ()

National American Miss is not a scam. NAMiss is a peageant, a scholarship pageant.

The company is a business, therefore they require money to run. They also give every competitor a trophy and give away hundreds of prizes. This is expensive.

I competed last year and did very well. I had sponsors pay for my $480 (which is higly suggested by the company rather than just paying it.) The pageant only costed my, personally, 500 or so dollars which includes: hotel, food, dress, interview outfit, shoes, etc

So, it is expensive becuase it is a business. You would not complain about Tory Burch's prices making them a rip-off.

False Accusation

AUTHOR: Tasha - ()

It would appear that the complaint comes from a parent who is mad because their child didn't win. First of all, the complaint wasn't filed during the time period between open calls and state level pageant. The complaint was filed after state level pageant took place and about a month before nationals.

Second, the price given is an incorrect price. The true cost for National America Miss is as follows: open calls-FREE, state level: $495 any other costs are your choice to make (such as hotel stay, wardrobe costs, and any optionals that the child chooses to do & NAM is very upfront about all of this, they also inform you that the $495 entry fee is for the main pageant which includes intreview, personal introduction, & formal wear. Optionals are judged by a completely different panel of judges than the main competition.), and national level: $795 any other costs are again your choice to make.

Open calls are just that, there is no competition and they only try to see if the girls are truly interested and give very detailed explanations and other information to the parents.

Third, yes the payments for the entry fee can be made over a period of time. Maybe you and your wife didn't pay attention when the went over this information and therefor should only blame yourselves for not paying attention to details.

Fourth, once again if you or your wife would have paid attention then you would know that most girls go out and get sponsorships to cover their entry fees. Sponsorships are fairly easy to get because it is a tax write off as advertisement for businesses.

Fifth, it is very clearly stated in the paperwork that is handed out at every level in the NAM pageant that there are no refunds!

NAM is a great opportinuty for girls to gain life skills that they will use in the world! They focus on public speaking, interview skills, and teach the girls the values of helping each other. They also require each girl in every age group to do volunteer work and maintain good grades.

My daugther had never participated in a pageant before joining NAM in 2013. We do not have lots of money. I watched my teenage daughter blossom during this experience and grow into a caring young lady. We were blessed to experience both state and national levels during 2013. She is already preparing for 2014 state level, and loving every minute.

The state and national staff for NAM are very caring people and help in any way possible.