Complaint Review: National Auto Division

• Updated: Mon, June 23, 2014

• Reported By: kmarie66 — Weidman Michigan United States of America
National Auto Division
Howell, New Jersey United States of America

National Auto Division American Auto Shield telemarketing scam Howell, New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: Great service on refund

*UPDATE Employee ..inside information: calling from nat auto on a monitored recorded because you haven't renewed your contract.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: you dont even know?

*Consumer Comment: NOT the same company..

*Consumer Comment: Out of business, consumers lose out?

*Consumer Comment: What a bunch

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: clarification

This company called my home phone and asked for my 18 yo son by name. They then proceeded to pressure him into buying an extended warranty on what turned out to be my car. He wasn't even sure what he bought as he told me "mom I think I accidently insured your car". I called the company to have the warranty cancelled and his money refunded ($450) and they tried to convince me that I HAD to have this warranty. They claimed to have gotten my vehicle information from my insurance company and that I was going to lose coverage if I didn't purchase an extended warranty from them. I told them I didn't want it and that my son had no right to purchase coverage for my car. They cancelled the transaction only after discovering that my vehicle had too many miles for the product they sold my son. Then they tried to get me to buy another using the same scare tactics. I didn't give in and called my insurance company after. My auto insurance company assured me that they had no affiliation with National Auto Division and that they did not release customer information to other parties. Nat'l Auto Division most likely got my info from public databases with vehicle registration. Even so, my son is not listed as a registered vehicle owner, only as a driver. Also the mileage info they had was from when I bought the car, not what my current mileage is. I have registered a complaint with my state's AG although unless enough people make the same complaint they cannot take legal action. I have no legal recourse since they refunded the money. BEWARE this company, they use unethical sales practices. Their statment regarding my insurance company was blatently false.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2011 02:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Auto-Division/Howell-New-Jersey-/National-Auto-Division-American-Auto-Shield-telemarketing-scam-Howell-New-Jersey-724674. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Auto Division

Great service on refund

AUTHOR: JoeSC - ()

I have no comment on this companies sales tactics nor on their fulfillment of their contracts as far as auto repair are concerned.  My experience is with American Auto Shield (AAS) of Arvada, CO regarding the cancellation of a policy.

My mom bought this policy last year (Nov '13) and put less than 500 additional miles on the car (started with 20K miles) before she passed away (nothing to do with the car or the policy...) and when I found the policy info in her files I followed the directions in the back of the policy book to cancel it.  No questions, no problems, no delays.  Got a check of 100% of what was due us in a few weeks.

So from my only interaction with AAS - it was a positive one.

#2 UPDATE Employee ..inside information

AUTHOR: callingfromnatauto - ()

National auto division is also metro marketing. We sell auto shield policies. We are instructed to sell the policy regardless of any other facts. If the vehicle is already covered, convince them they only have power train coverage. isolate that old lady and sell are exact words used. The vast majority of dialers and management are felons and active addicts. The reward is a commission based on the amount of deposit. The only other pay is minimum wage and we are instructed this is not an hourly job. Sell or you will be fired. When you are transitioned to a "TO" / closer, you are now dealing with a top ranked salesmen for the company. The initial sales rep is only looking for "players" for these closers. sales reps are instructed to pitch and rebut, a call should end only if the "client" hangs up ( we are coached to keep them on the line ) or is transitioned. Anybody on the phone is to be pitched. A critical tactic is telling the " client " . 1. This is your final opportunity. 2. Your file is going to be closed. 3. Your VIN is going to be "flagged" making you ineligible for future coverage. we are told if you can't do these things, and would prefer to work at burger kings leave. Threats of suspension are issuing for poor performance. There is no respect for the employed, long hours even mandatory weekend are enforced. Punishments can include additional hours. The management will curse at employees and berate them.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

you dont even know?

AUTHOR: nooneknows12 - ()

OKAY SO I AM AN EX EMLOYEE FOR N.A.D.  FROM MY LONG TERM EXPIERIENCE WITH THE COMPANY THEY DO ABSOLUTLEY EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER FOR SITUATIONS LIKE THE ONES REPORTED TO NOT COME ABOUT. A FEW YEARS BACK THE WARRANTY THING WAS KIND OF NEW SO THERE WERENT MANY GUIDLINES TO THE BUISNESS BUT WITHIN THE LAST FEW YEARS THEY REALLY STRAIGHTEND UP THEIR ACT. THEY HAVE AN EMPLOYEE WHO IS THE COMLPIANCE REP WHO JUST TO LISTENS TO CALLS AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO NONSENSE GOING ON . IF THEY DO CATCH ANYONE MAKING ANY UNTRUE STATMENTS THE PERSONS JOB WILL BE IN JEPORDY. THEY DO STATE IN THE BEGINING OF EVERY CALL THAT THEY ARE NATIONAL AUTO AND NEVER SAY THAT THEY ARE THE DEALERSHIP."ITS A BIG NO NO". THEY SIMPLY ASK THE MILAGE .  IF YOU DO NOT WANT COMPANIES LIKE THIS CALLING ABOUT YOUR CAR STOP GIVING OUT YOUR INFORMATION.... MAKE SURE THE PERSON YOU ARE BUYING THE CAR OFF OF AS WELL DOES NOT SELL INFO TO DIFFERENT COMPANIES BECAUSE THEY ARE THE REAL ONES WHO ARE AT FAULT FOR PEOPLE SUCH AS N.A.D. HAVING YOUR INFO. WHAT N.A.D. DOES IS TOTALY LEGAL. THE WARRANTY OFFERD MIGHT NOT BE AS GOOD AS A MANUFACTURES WARRANTY BUT IT DOES PAY FOR THE ITEMS LISTED IN THE PITCH. ITS NOT A SCAM???THEY ARE NOT PHISICALY HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND MAKING THE CUSTOMER BUY THE PRODUCT. IF YOU DONT WANT IT SAY NO. I SOLD WARRANTYS FOR YEARS AND I SOLD THEM HONEST. THATS WHY I MADE MONEY,I GREW IN THE COMPANY AND BARLEY HAD TO GIVE THE MONEY BACK FROM CANCELS BECAUSE I MADE SURE THE CUSTOMER KNEW WHAT A WARRANTY WAS. N.A.D. IS A E.O.E. AND GIVES PEOPLE A FOUNDATION TO START A PATH FOR EMPLOYMENT. LIKE I SAID THEY MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST EMPLOYER TO MOST PEOPLE BUT THEY DO GIVE PEOPLE THE CHANCE TO BE SUCCESFULL ON THEIR OWN.

NOT the same company..

AUTHOR: fatboy46 - (USA)

American Auto is in Colorado.. seems that this part is correct from the company..  Go after the RIGHT people.

Out of business, consumers lose out?

AUTHOR: one moment please - (United States of America)

This company now has a fast busy signal on all of its phones and even an affiliate, unbeknownst to them before I  I called, could not contact National Auto Division at its NJ or 800 number.   I wonder if they went out of business within the last few days?

What a bunch

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

What a bunch of lowlife SCUMBAGS!

REAL TRASH!

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

clarification

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Just to clarify, I am the CFO and Operations Manager of AAS, and we do not sell contracts.  If the customer has any issue with the sale, they need to make sure they are complaining about the right company.  We have nothing to do with that.