masses

Complaint Review: National Bureau of Merchant Services

• Submitted: Sun, June 26, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, September 13, 2011

• Reported By: Denise — Gainsboro North Carolina U.S.A.
National Bureau of Merchant Services
3003 W. Northern Avenue #1 Internet United States of America

National Bureau of Merchant Services IRN Payments Scammed by IRN Payment Systems and National Bureau of Merchant Services Internet

*Author of original report: Update on Status

*UPDATE Employee: Refund

*Author of original report: Our Issue has been Resolved

We were using IRN / NBMS as our credit card processor and recently, we had to purchase a new reservation software package which, if you wanted to process credit cards directly, required use of the Vital Platform.

We called IRN to inquire about the Vital Platform and they said they can process but we needed to call our sales office - National Bureau of Merchant Services. So, we did. The assistant sent me the paperwork to complete in order to switch to the Vital platforms. She didn't say anything about closing any accounts. Just that I needed additional paperwork to process on the Vital Platform. Here is a link to the paperwork I signed.

I sent it in and shortly, we were up and running. Happy as can be. Fees were a little higher but that was fine because I was happy to be on one system.

When I logged into my bank account on June 2, 2011. I saw that I had 2 credit card processing charges now. One from CredoMatic (the vital platform processor) and one from IRN for 31.95.

Confused, I called IRN to inquire about this fee. They said that was the minimum statement charge and that they would refund me that amount if my sales office would send in the appropriate paperwork to close the account. So, I did. I contacted the NBMS Assistant who was very apologetic. She asked me to send in a letter requesting that I close the IRN Account. So, I did.

A few days later, they, IRN, took $1000 out of my account for a closing fee.  I called IRN. After I explained what happened to the customer service rep at IRN, she put me on hold for at least 15 minutes. When she came back, she asked if I switched because I needed to process on the vital platform. I said I did. She said a refund should not be any problem in this case, call the sales office. So, I did. That was on June 8th.

They were very apologetic again and said not to worry.A Customer Service ExperienceThe following Monday, when I hadn't seen the $1000 returned to my account, much less the $31.95, I called again. I called IRN "customer service." This last person I spoke to put me in tears. He said that I violated my merchant agreement. I was on a 4 year contract. Mind you, I don't even think I switched companies at this point so I'm really confused. And, I said, even if I was on a 4 year contract and cancelled (which I don't get), I have 2 years left at at 31.95, that is just over $760, not $1000. It would be cheaper for me in this case to stay on until the contract expires. He told me, it doesn't work that way. He said I had to process credit cards through them or I was in violation of our agreement and would be cancelled and charged anyway. And, he also told me that I was renewed automatically every year on my anniversary for another 4 years. I verified this with the sales office later and they said that isn't entirely true. You need to sign a new agreement each year, which I never saw or did.

I later learned that IRN and NBMS are actually the same company. So I asked the sales office about this and they said they were but a "higher up" had to approve the refund. The sales "manager" kept muting me as I spoke and his tone turned calloused. I knew, at that moment, I'd never see my $1031.95.

Do not do business with these people.They have 3 websites and another website they created to make themselves look legit. Here is a shot from the Wayback Archive of one of their pages of this fake website - one that makes it look like they are a member of an organzation designed to keep the credit card processing industry honest. HA!

Here is another one of their sites: http://www.irnsystem.com/ - note that NBMS is listed at the bottom. If this site disappears, you can find it in the Wayback Archive as well.

And another - http://www.irnpayment.com/ - the Wayback Archive Version.

And yet another - http://payment-processing-online.com/page/Payment-Processing-with-IRN-Payment-Systems.aspx

I don't know how many websites one company can have. They need to be investigated.

Once I switched to another company, it was noted that they had a lot of downgrade charges. So, even though they claim to have 1 rate, they don't. I was paying high rates as well.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2011 10:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Bureau-of-Merchant-Services/internet/National-Bureau-of-Merchant-Services-IRN-Payments-Scammed-by-IRN-Payment-Systems-and-Nati-745582. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Bureau of Merchant Services

Update on Status

AUTHOR: Margie - (U.S.A.)

This company agreed to refund me, but as of now, several months later, has not. The employee posted that they would in 6-8 weeks but it is now September. I also want to note that I was not required to switch platforms. If I was told there was a cancellation fee, I could have left another platform open and run credit cards through that until my term was over. But, they presented to me that there would be no fee since I was staying with them. Anyway, I still have no refund as of now. I would use caution before using them for your processing.

Refund

AUTHOR: NBMS ADMIN - (United States of America)

The refund was not based on whether there is a complaint filed but rather what we at NBMS knew was right.  Even though the client may have changed systems it could have been our right to hold such a client to an agreement despite the fact that there was equipment upgrades.  Since the POS system that the client purchased required a different platform than that which they were on they had to cancel the one platform and be switch to another platform.  There is a closer fee for doing such.  Even though the fee is justified and contractual we had requested that no fee be charged for the change.  Despite our request a fee was charged.  After emails sent back and forth over this issue a refund was finally approved.  This is a process and is never done in 1 day.  We strive to provide the best service and rates at anytime.  Merchants are always welcome to send in comparisons and we are happy to adjust or review rates to assure the best customer services and lowest rates.  We have been around many years offering such services to 1000's of merchants and will continue doing so.

Our Issue has been Resolved

AUTHOR: Margie - (U.S.A.)

National Bureau of Merchant services agreed today to refund us completely the entire $1031.25 as long as we retracted our complaint. The company will be refunding us as soon as this retraction posts. We had a difficult experience but they compensated us which is all we were looking for. If you plan to do business with this company, we will recommend them.