Complaint Review: National City Bank NCB

• Submitted: Tue, March 04, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, June 19, 2009

• Reported By:fort wayne Indiana
National City Bank NCB
6020 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

National City Bank, NCB double posting tranactions and charging NSF fees in advance Fort Wayne Indiana

*Consumer Comment: Robandmar01 - Give me a break!!!

*Consumer Comment: Even A Child Can Understand

*Consumer Comment: Even A Child Can Understand

*Consumer Comment: I was also ripped off!

*Consumer Suggestion: If it was ran thru several times it was not the banks fault

*Author of original report: Attn: Billyjack and Robandmar01

*Consumer Comment: My son was over my shoulder talking a mile a minute ............................

*Consumer Comment: Funds where not avaiable for use

*Consumer Suggestion: Fees on pending transactions are a normal thing.

I noticed today that I had three NSF fees charged to my account yesterday when i still had a positive balance! I then noticed two duplicate transactions pending for tomorrow. I immediately printed out my online statement and took it to the bank. They argued with me when I asked why they are charging me NSF fees in advance but they did admit that the double posted two transactions. They said that they would refund the NSF fees. We'll see. It is still wrong to charge NSF fees before transactions even post. I plan on closing my account with National City Bank and opening a new account with a local Credit Union. I recommend everyone else who is experiencing these unacceptable practices to do the same!

Kristylynn11
fort wayne, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2008 10:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-City-Bank-NCB/Fort-Wayne-Indiana-46804/National-City-Bank-NCB-double-posting-tranactions-and-charging-NSF-fees-in-advance-Fort-314544. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National City Bank NCB

Robandmar01 - Give me a break!!!

AUTHOR: Disenchanted - (U.S.A.)

I apologize for the spelling !!! With a 12 year kid hopping around the kitchen talking a mile a minute it was hard to write as fast as he was talking,listen to him,and put my own 2 cents in. I have to say I am very proud of him.... he is the one that pointed out the mistake!! Now he is on a passionate rant about consumer awareness ( good kid!!). In 10 minutes he will probably be back to tormenting his sister or torturing us all with that darn guitar...... He has saved ROR to his favorites though and has checked it out twice ( I am a nosy parent too!! All parents should be). He is a momma's boy!!!!
Update
Submitted: 3/24/2008 11:11:05 AM
Modified: 3/24/2008 4:30:01 PM
Update
Kristylynn11
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Attn: Billyjack and Robandmar01

Apparently you didn't read my post thoroughly. I stated that NCB DOUBLE POSTED several of my transactions AND charged me NSF fees on those. I DID HAVE SUFFICIEND FUNDS IN THE BANK. THE BANK DECIDED TO WITHDRAW THE CASH A SECOND TIME AND ON TOP OF THAT CHARGE ME NSF FEES IN ADVANCE. When I brought this to the banks attention, they were quick place BLAME AND JUDGE ME JUST AS YOU TWO HAVE DONE HERE. I received NO apology from the man at bank for the accusations towards me, or on the bank's behlaf for their mistake, (NOR WILL I FROM YOU TWO, I'm sure of) when they further investigated the situation and informed me that it was a corporate issue that was trying to be resolved ASAP and was indeed happening to others. So get off of your high horses and try to understand what my complaint is really about!
ConsumerSuggestion
Submitted: 3/25/2008 5:55:36 AM
Modified: 3/25/2008 8:47:29 AM
ConsumerSuggestion
Robandmar01
Fort Wayne, Indiana
If it was ran thru several times it was not the banks fault

I did understand your post. If it was ran thru several times by the merchant that would cause a double posting. The bank is not at fault for that. I was explaining why it happened, what can cause overdrafts, and why switching banks will not help. All banks are generating overdraft fees on available balance now, not just National City. Understanding the overdraft process will stop people from getting hit with fees. At 35.00 a pop that is an expensive lesson. Maybe it was my fault because I was adressing ALL reasons fees can be charged, you had a double posting issue. So I do apologize for making it seem like you did all of the above. But FYI~ banks will charge fees on what I listed......I know mine do. Oh , and if you switch~ Union Workers FCU does it to. You may want to check out Star or Peoples 1st FCU (I am not sure if they do or not).

At least in this post you did not go on and on about your 12 year old son! Give me a break! Who cares! You make assumptions and judgments about the person who made the original post, and you were wrong. It was the banks fault!!!!!! Oh, and by the way, maybe you should have your 12 year old proofread your spelling for now on. And it is not "Union Workers Federal Credit Union does it to." It is, Union Workers Federal Credit Union does it "too". (too...as in also)

Even A Child Can Understand

AUTHOR: Edward - (U.S.A.)

To Robandmar01, from your descriptions, your 12 year old son appears to be like most 12 year old sons who torment their sisters and such. So I'm pretty sure he's also well familiar with the game of standing behind his sister, smacking her in the back of the head at times, and then innocently looking skyward, whistling with both hands in his pockets when his sister turns around and screams 'Why did you do that?'. 'What on earth are you talking about?' is his reply. Regarding the infamous Wachovia threads you reference, that's basically what's going on there from the Wachovia employees. But I digress. That's not the issue here.

Krysty, you have already wised up and made the smart decision to move your account somewhere else besides National City. I'll be honest here. I'm not well versed yet in the practices of National City, but even a 12 year old son is smart enough to realize that when DUPLICATE charges show up for no apparent reason, something's wrong. Those DUPLICATE charges got there somehow. And for the bank to refund fees, I would say that a pretty good clue. We're all familiar with how banks hold on TIGHTLY to any funds and they DO NOT just give them back lightly, without reason.

Even A Child Can Understand

AUTHOR: Edward - (U.S.A.)

I was also ripped off!

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

National City Bank double charged me for transactions that put me in the hole and I was charged fees. Upon investigating it, the bank manager advised me that there were problems on that day with all visa transactions and that it was a rare thing. I advised her that it is not as rare as she made it out to be because it had happened to me multiple times within the last two months. I also had false transactions in my account that mysteriously disappeared the following day and the bank tellers could not explain it. AMAZING!

#5 Consumer Suggestion

If it was ran thru several times it was not the banks fault

Attn: Billyjack and Robandmar01

AUTHOR: Kristylynn11 - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: Robandmar01 - (U.S.A.)

Funds where not avaiable for use

AUTHOR: Robandmar01 - (U.S.A.)

I have sat back and keep quiet ( alot of times in amusement...Edward, Plaintruth and Striderq are my nightly entertainment!) till now. Part of the reason is because my 12 year old son was able to figure this out and part of the reason is because I am from Ft. Wayne. I had my son set down and read the ever~famous Wachovia, BOA, and this National City posts. He is a 12 yr. old kid in 6th grade who just opened his first savings account. After he was done I asked him if he understood the complaint and he responded yes. I asked him if it was a valid complaint and he said no!!!! Then I asked him why. His response was "you are NOT allowed immediate use of the money if you deposit a check or deposit cash after the cutoff!!!! There available balance was in the red even though there pending balance was above the red!". MIND YOU THIS IS A 12 YEAR OLD KID! If he can figure this out why can adults not?? The days of the float are over!! If you swipe your card you better have (already)available funds in there to cover it. I bank at Chase,National City, Wells Fargo and Three Rivers FCU ( so if you switch banks and expect different polices you will NOT find them at these banks)AND ALL ARE THE SAME IN THIS POLICY!When you swipe your card you have spent that money! Why should it be allowed to cover other things till it hard post? When you deposit a check it has to post before you use it! In this day and age with the amount of scams going around(alot of them listed here on ROR) I don't blame the banks for placing a hold on checks.... they need to protect themselves. Are we that impatient of a society that we need and expect everything nownownow?? I understand on the subject of money you have earned some people do expect and need it now .... but it doesnt work that way at a bank.There is rules....some to protect the bank and some to protect us. The bank is a FOR PROFIT business ... not a right. If you must have your money that day go to a check cashing place,cash the check and pay for everything with cash. If you need to rob Peter to pay Paul (i.e making your available balance go in the red by swiping your card)go get a loan instead of expecting to be able to swipe your card to pay for something then being able to use those funds to cover other things in your checking account untill it hard post. The checking account (in this day and age) is not designed for either of these purposes and if my 12 year old can figure it out I have hope adults can too (some day soon!!). No one should EVER EVER EVER bank off there online balance, paper balance or (hard) balance. When you add deposits to your check register ( which is the only thing you should be banking off of) you now can only credit in that deposit ON THE DATE IT IS TO CLEAR (not before, on the day you deposited it). You also can not spend that money till AFTER it has cleared your checking account and is *AVAILABLE* for use.If you do not do this you will overdraw your available balance and you will be charged fees.......at almost every bank every time. I know alot of people live paycheck to paycheck and in the past you could get away with floating.... or using funds before they where available. But you can NOT anymore. Is the banks doing this to have bigger profits? Probally. Is it their right ? Yes, they can do this. People who live paycheck to paycheck ARE the ones who are going to pay fees if they do not follow the rules. Those people are the ones who need their money in their accounts the most and can not afford these fees. I am sure someone is going to respond and say "this is going to hurt them the worst!". No, they will be hurt worse if they do not realize these rules cause they will be paying fees!! I guess the bottom line is only you can know your true *AVAILABLE* balance (check reg.) and if you know that you will never have a fee. Oh, and just for FYI~ I do not work at a bank... I work at the cable company.

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Fees on pending transactions are a normal thing.

AUTHOR: Billyjack - (U.S.A.)

Overdraft fees on pending transactions are as normal nowdays as breathing.All the large banks in the USA is doing it..Yes I agree that doing it that way does cause overdraft fees.. but here is a trick to that..Don't use the money until any money deposited to the account has posted..Not before.and keep records of all transactions in your journal.. .When anytime that when someone gets fees from being overdrafted, that tells me that, there was no money in the account to begin with..If you should read ALL rules and regulations regarding your account that was given to you the day that you opened it ,you would have read that it is legal for the banks to apply charges to pendings.. All pending transactions comes out of your account immediatley..not 2 days from now or next month..But right that instant.. don't blame the banks if you had no money in the account..You might have had money in the account the day before, but what came thru to eat it up? ..and check with your bank to see if they had a system problem that would of caused a doubled posting or the merchant to put it thru twice..