notable

• Submitted: Mon, September 08, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, August 01, 2011

• Reported By:Rio Linda California
National Collector's Mint
32 Railroad Ave. West Haven, Connecticut U.S.A.

National Collector's Mint Misrepresents September 11 Silver Leaf Coin Certificate Republic of Liberia? West Haven Connecticut

*Consumer Comment: Liberia has made coins for decades

*UPDATE Employee: National Collector's Mint's 9/11 Commemoratives

First and last time I will ever be naive enough to order something on the phone from a TV ad! I DID believe that I hung up the phone before the order was finalized and I did watch my credit card bill for awhile. Well, 6 weeks later I did in fact receive what I ordered. Extremely misrepresented. Shame on me. The back of the "certificate" reads Republic of Liberia - is Africa receiving any proceeds from these sales? If they are then I feel better for being so stupid. Are any who suffered tragedy from 9/11 receiving proceeds from these sales? - again, that would make me feel less naive. I have the product packaged to send back but my fear is they'll never get around to crediting my account. I'm already out 24.95 ($20 + S.H.) and it would probably cost at least $6.00 to send back insured as they instruct. I'm going to keep it to commemorate the day I learned a valuable lesson!

Linda
Rio Linda, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/08/2008 04:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Collectors-Mint/West-Haven-Connecticut/National-Collectors-Mint-Misrepresents-September-11-Silver-Leaf-Coin-Certificate-Republi-370990. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Collector's Mint

Liberia has made coins for decades

AUTHOR: John III - (United States of America)

I bought some Liberian silver proof coins along time ago, they were very artisitc and I thought they were nice.  And they were.  They were advertised as Liberian coins from that country.  Liberia makes many coins with American ideas in them, and sells them here.  It was about 1972-75.
     I guess they should have told you they were from Liberia.  Usually they do, and it is no problem.    If I liked the design of a Liberian coin, I would buy it.   The country is a poor country, and it is one way they get some money for thier government and some citizens there.
     The Cook Islands, Marshall Islands,  Jamaica, Trinadad Tobego, and others have marketed their coins in America.

National Collector's Mint's 9/11 Commemoratives

AUTHOR: National Collector's Mint Inc. - (U.S.A.)

Here at the National Collectors Mint we pride ourselves on the commemoratives we issue, allowing our customers to obtain their own little piece of history, whether its a replica of a numismatic item which is very difficult or impossible to obtain or an original item produced with a special component, such as in this case and authorized by an independent entity.

Our 9/11 Commemoratives are created with the purest of intentions, we never want to forget what happened to the thousands of innocent victims and to those who tried valiantly to save them and were also tragically lost. This is all done out of respect and honor.

The 9/11 Silver Leaf Coin Certificates have been authorized by the Republic of Liberia after an agreement has been reached with a mutual intention of commemorating the horrible event.

We are most happy and proud to be able to say that thanks to customers purchases of our many 9/11 commemoratives, we have donated over $2 million to various 9/11 charities such as the United Ways September 11th Fund, the Firefighters Widow and Childrens Fund, the Bear Search and Rescue Fund, etc..