Complaint Review: National Electronics Warranty

• Updated: Fri, June 13, 2014

• Reported By: Whygetawarranty — San Francisco California
National Electronics Warranty
22894 Pacific Blvd. Sterling, Virginia USA

National Electronics Warranty Warranty Logistics, Inc. Very slow service, not worth it! Sterling Virginia

A little over a year ago, I purchased a laptop through Office Depot. Due to the fact that the screen on my previous laptop had cracked twice in the first two years, I went with the 2-year extended contract, which cost $200.

The laptop recently needed a minor repair, because the power cord jack was broken. I submitted a warranty claim, and was told at the time that the repair process would take 7-10 business days. This sounded long to me, so I called a local repair shop. I was told that the required part would be about $20-$30, and that with labor it would come to $130. I was also told that the repair itself would take several hours, but that also the part might need to be ordered, which would make it take a bit longer.

However, since I had the contract with Office Depot, I decided to send it in. When it arrived at NEW (or Warranty Logistics, I don't actually know who physically received the computer, though it seems that NEW is the company that actually owns the repair center), I was told that most repairs would be ready to be sent back within 5 business days.

However, 5 DAYS later I received an email saying that it had been determined that a part needed to be ordered, and that this would "only take a few more business days". However, when calling Office Depot, who then called the repair center, I was told that the part would take 3-5 business days just to arrive, and then several more business days would be required to complete the repair and re-send the computer. So, all in all, it could take 12-13 business days for the repair, and adding the 2 days shipping each way (which, in itself, is totally reasonable), would put the total repair time at 2 and a half weeks.

I find it totally unreasonable that it took five days to simply determine what part was necessary to order, as the employee at the local shop already had a good idea (based on my description of the problem over the phone) what it would entail. So either they spent most of the first 5 days doing nothing, or, even worse, they were fishing for possible "repairs" to perform that were not requested, on things that weren't broken. I don't know why it would be in their interest to do that, but I have read other reports that suggest this.

And that's the other problem--NEW clearly absolves themselves of liability for the data stored on the device. You can bet I backed it up before sending it in, but for a computer with a working hard drive and processor (which mine had when I sent it in, because I was still *using* it), a consumer should not have to risk loss of data and needing to take time re-installing software. Neither should a consumer who needs a new memory card, display backlight, etc. And you can bet that a competent repair shop wouldn't handle a computer so roughly as to make the need for repairs *greater* than what the customer has agreed to pay for. But I have read reports of people having data missing, problems with restoring the OS, etc., who sent in a computer with a perfectly functional hard drive.

Plus, NEW wanted the administrator password for the computer when sending it in, to do who knows what. I declined to give it, exactly because I didn't want stuff tampered with. But again, this is another example of how this company makes a mountain out of a molehill. At least not a penny in monetary cost is passed on to the consumer, but the time factor absolutely is!

So, as it stands now, I'm out $70 ($200 - $130) and have waited over 10 times as long as I would have, had I not bought this stupid contract. It's possible that in the next year I will have a major repair needed, and then I will have saved money, but even then, I dread thinking of how long they would drag their feet on a much more complex repair.

I must add the caveat that I don't know if NEW is any worse than other repair companies that require computers to be sent to them, and don't allow them to be brought to a local service center. The whole concept seems conducive to bad service, since once a device is sent in, there is no way to get it back and/or take it anywhere else, so the consumer has no recourse. My old laptop had a contract where a technician would come to your home/workplace and perform the repair there, and obviously with the customer looking over their shoulder, a technician is not going to waste time, especially if they have other jobs later.

So, in my experience a service contract through NEW was a VERY bad idea!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2013 12:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Electronics-Warranty/Sterling-Virginia-20166/National-Electronics-Warranty-Warranty-Logistics-Inc-Very-slow-service-not-worth-it-S-1088348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Electronics Warranty