Complaint Review: National Electronics Warranty

• Submitted: Wed, July 09, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, June 06, 2008

• Reported By:Frederick Maryland
National Electronics Warranty
www.newcorp.com Sterling, Virginia U.S.A.

National Electronics Warranty / MaxAssurance Warranty ripoff abused & mistreated Sterling Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Rebuttal

*Author of original report: Only after filing the initial report with Rip-Off Report, I did get results. Thank you!

*UPDATE Employee: National Electronics Warranty works for consumers, sometimes against repair service providers

I bought a Brother Multifunction MFC-5100C from OfficeMax on November 18, 2001. I bought an extended warranty for November 18,2001 - November 18,2003.

I called the warranty company on March 2003 to complain that the multimfunction machne was not spitting out paper and would jam after each paper. I called the National Electronics Warrenty Company at 1-866-805-9095. I talked to numerous people and they told me it needed to be sent to Market West (1-818-700-1650) in California. I was hesitent, but sent the unit.

They sent it back "Cleaned, Lubed, and Aligned". But when i set up the machine, it was not fixed. I called the warrenty company back and they said because it was "under warranty" with market West, that I would have to send it back there to get repaired again. I told them if they didn't fix it the first time, what made me think they would fix it a second time.

I resent the machine back in May 2003. A representative from Market West called me to tell me that I would need to pay a $150. diagnostic and labor fee because they could find nothing wrong with the unit. I was shocked!!

I called the Warranty company only to get the run around for about 2 weeks. Thye finally told me they would not pay the fee because Market West said there was nothing wrong with the unit.

Now, Market West won't send back my unit until I pay $150. I could now buy a new multifunction for $199.99.

I am so angry right now, because there is nothing I can do about these scammers. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!!! Thank you

Jessica
Frederick, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/09/2003 10:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Electronics-Warranty/Sterling-Virginia/National-Electronics-Warranty-MaxAssurance-Warranty-ripoff-abused-mistreated-Sterling-63148. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Electronics Warranty

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Mongoman - (U.S.A.)

It sounds to me as though this printer was under the manufacturer warranty and was not even covered as of yet by the extended warranty company of N.E.W.

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

Only after filing the initial report with Rip-Off Report, I did get results.

Market West did send back the Multi-Function machine, and it was finally fixed.

I don't think I would have recieved results had it not been for Rip-Off Report. I am sincerely grateful for the employee who responded to my report, and to the people who manage this website.

Finally, a place for consumers to get real results!!

Thank you!

AUTHOR: Giovanni - (U.S.A.)

I read, with interest, the complaint against National Electronics Warranty and Max Assurance. In this case I have some familiarity with the specifics of the problem.

Recently, an escalations specialist and myself had occasion to have a conversation regarding this specific printer and the difficulties caused by Market West for the consumer. At that time, the escalations specialist was extremely upset that Market West had chosen "... to hold the printer for ransom..." as she put it.

I know this particular escalations specialist well, and have watched her struggle repeatedly with repair servicers who are more interested in a quick buck than making an honest appraisal and repair. It would seem, on the surface, at least, that this is just another one of those cases. On the surface . . .

Here's some of the background. National Elecronics Warranty, (N.E.W. for those that work there) does not actually perform repairs. Obviously, in this case, Market West did the repair, or didn't - depending on how you look at the situation. N.E.W. has a policy that any of it's repair servicers provide a 30 day warranty on any work they perform. When the consumer's prnter was returned not funtioning properly, Market West was under agreement with N.E.W. to take the unit back and fix it correctly, without charge to N.E.W. or the consumer.

Market West, on the second go-around, apparently could not re-create the consumer's problem with the unit, so it submitted a bill to N.E.W., saying that they had been forced, by N.E.W. to spend labor time on the unit unnecessarily. Of course, N.E.W. denied Market West's claim for an additional service fee. How did Market West respond? Did they look at the big picture? All of the thousands of repairs that are referred to them yearly by N.E.W.? No, they decided that instead of abiding by their agreement with N.E.W. and instead of admitting their own inability to duplicate the consumer's problem, they insist that the consumer pay for the non-existant repair.

All that being said, what has happened to N.E.W.'s involvement in this case? Well, the escalations specialist has already begun the process of a buyout for the consumer, which is probably completed by now. The buyout means that Market West can go whistle Dixie for their $150.00 and N.E.W. will re-imburse the consumer for the cost of a new printer or the cost of the old printer, whichever is a lesser amount.

In the mean time, however, there are behind the scenes changes that situations like these create. N.E.W. has contracts with hundreds of repair companies throughout the world, and simple agreements with thousands more. The choice of which service center to refer a consumer to is made by the customer service representative that answers the consumer's call to N.E.W. Often, depending on where the consumer lives, there are several choices as to which to refer a consumer. Since N.E.W. practices what is referred to as a culture of accountability where each customer service representative takes ownership of each consumer's problem and is trained to resolve that problem, can you think that there will be many more referrals to Market West if there other options?

OK, so that change came a little too late for Jessica's problem. But, companies like N.E.W. aren't so different from regular human beings. We learn from our mistakes, or we suffer the consequences. We've learned from this one, and hopefully there will be no more complaints like Jessica has. I certainly hope, by now, Jessica has a brand new printer and she is slightly less angry for the inconvenience and frustration this episode has caused for her.

If, Jessica, or any other consumer has any questions or further concerns, N.E.W. is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on Holidays. The whole reason we are there is to answer your call and resolve your problems. That is the nature of our business, that is why we exist. I for one, like to think that we do the best job possible, and we are always striving to improve.

Thank you for your time.