Complaint Review: National Home Gardening Club

• Submitted: Sun, May 24, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, May 24, 2009

• Reported By:Minneapolis Minnesota
National Home Gardening Club
12301 Whitewater Drive Minnetonka, Minnesota U.S.A.

National Home Gardening Club - National Street Machine Club Magazine deceptive advertising, attempt to bait and switch Minnetonka Minnesota

I found out about GardeningClub.com from an ad posted on Facebook.com which offered free products in exchange for product testing services. I signed up to participate, giving my name, mailing address, phone number and email address. When completing this form, I was presented with a screen to complete membership -- offering me only 2 alternatives: "pay now" or "bill me later." This was the first mention of money being required. (I wasn't interested in paying for anything, so I closed my browser WITHOUT clicking either button.)

Later, I received an email "welcoming" me to my membership, which I had neither completed nor agreed to and which contained an account number and login information. I replied to this email by describing the process, sharing my surprise to have heard from them, expressing my demand to be removed from their marketing lists. This practice is HIGHLY DECEPTIVE. I promised to contact my attorney should they attempt to bill me or contact me again in any way.

From additional research, I have discovered that this company also operates under the name of "National Street Machine Club Magazine" at the same address. I saw a similar ad on Facebook that interested me about testing arts and craft products.

I reported this to Facebook in the hopes that they will remove this company's ads from their application.

I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at

and plan also to report to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General.

Minneapolis, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2009 12:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Home-Gardening-Club/Minnetonka-Minnesota-55343/National-Home-Gardening-Club-National-Street-Machine-Club-Magazine-deceptive-advertising-454845. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Home Gardening Club