Complaint Review: National Magazine Exchange (NME)

• Submitted: Sun, July 01, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, September 12, 2007

• Reported By:Norman Oklahoma
National Magazine Exchange (NME)
16120 US 90 North PO Box 9083 Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.

National Magazine Exchange (NME) Sweepstakes, Collection, Fraud Clearwater Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Why are you still paying them?

Back in October of 2006 I received a notice in the mail about a sweepstakes. Enter to win money! What hard up for money college student would turn that down? I sure didn't! So I called this company to enter. Basically I was baited into buy some magazine subscription. And I was told I had 30 days to cancel.

30 days later I called NME to cancel my account because I could no longer afford to pay them. I was then told by the "customer service" representative that I was too late and that I owed them $200+.

I called a few days later to cancel, the rep told me that I needed to pay $65 in order to cancel my account. So I did. He then gave me a cancellation number and I thought I was in the clear.

A few weeks later I received a bill for $200+ that needed to be paid. I called the "customer service" representative again to get this all cleared up. He told me that I didn't cancel my account and that I was still carrying a balance. I asked him what I needed to do to get this fixed. He said he could reduce my monthly payments to $22 per month for three months to fix the error. And I thought that was over with.

I got another call from NME in April about renewing my services with them. I said no. Apparently they still had my credit card on file and they said they would just charge my card but my card had expired. My credit card expired and I didn't get a new one yet because my account had been sold to a larger bank. I just said please cancel this account, I thought I was all clear with any charges and balances I had.

A few days ago I received yet another piece of mail from NME. This time it was a collection notice telling me I need to pay my account otherwise I would get a mark on my credit and my account would be sent to collection! I cancelled the account in the first place because I'm going through some financial hardships with school and I need to save where I can.

Apparently NME does not know the meaning of "no" or "cancel my account." My collection notice states that I still owe about $70 to them. I am completely confused about this. I cancelled all the way back in November and I cannot get rid of the bills and calls from them!

I thought it was just a harmless sweepstakes. Instead it has turned into an eight month nightmare with calls and bills! It seems as if everytime I pay I end up oweing more. I keep getting magazines I never ordered, but apparently I must pay for them.

Never again. This has made me very upset. This company needs to be investigated before anyone else falls for their ploys.

K
Norman, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2007 08:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Magazine-Exchange-NME/Clearwater-Florida/National-Magazine-Exchange-NME-Sweepstakes-Collection-Fraud-Clearwater-Florida-258127. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Magazine Exchange (NME)

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Why are you still paying them?

AUTHOR: Keily - (U.S.A.)

If you would have called the bank after the first 30 days and told them they took your money out after you've already cancel they would have did a charge back to you but now it's just a big mess. They're going to keep saying you owe them money until your broke. Change your accounts close them and talk to your bank and point them to this website.