Complaint Review: National Magazine Exchange

• Submitted: Mon, January 01, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, January 02, 2007

• Reported By:Selmer Tennessee
National Magazine Exchange
16120 US 19 North, PO Box 9084 Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.

National Magazine Exchange, NMENational Magazine Exchange Debited checking account twice, causing account to be overdrawn, thus OD fees. Sent magazines I did not order. Ripoff Clearwater Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Are you sure it's NME?

During the Thanksgiving holidays, I went back to my home in Tennessee after attempting to return to work, having been on disability for several years.

I received a telephone call on 11/27/06 from a woman selling magazine subscriptions. I did order Field & Stream and another one which I cannot recall the name of.

My checking account was debited $33.54 immediately.

To date (January 1, 2007), I have received 2 magazines. One of them is "Star", a magazine containing articles about Hollywood stars (which I despise), and the other is "Blender" - a rock and roll user's guide. I am a guitar player, playing only the blues, and have never been a fan of rock and roll music.

I could not tolerate the demands of the job due to a recent triple cardiac bypass, and went back on disability.

I spent several hundred dollars which I borrowed to travel to Texas, lodging once arriving there for the job, the return trip home, etc. My checking account had a balance of $21.50 upon my return home.

NME debited my checking account again on December 28, 2006 for another $33.54, causing my account to be overdrawn, thus my bank charged another $30.00.

My disability check is direct deposited, so on the 3rd of this month (January 2007), the total overdraft amount will be the first transaction. I am going to the bank tomorrow to file a dispute for these charges.

I intend to go to great lengths to report this "rip-off" to every agency available to public consumers, including consumer affairs, better business bureau, etc.

I will never order anything over the phone or the internet again, and encourage others that have been ripped off to file complaints with the appropriate agencies.

Dennis
Selmer, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/01/2007 09:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Magazine-Exchange/Clearwater-Florida-33758-9084/National-Magazine-Exchange-NMENational-Magazine-Exchange-Debited-checking-account-twice-228140. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Magazine Exchange

AUTHOR: Ace - (U.S.A.)

I hate having to respond like this because it looks like I'm defending NME, but I want to make sure you're targeting the right ripoff so you can get your cash back and OD fees refunded.

You said that you received a call from NME, they do not call out except to existing customers to renew their subscriptions. The only way NME gets new customers is by sending people a post card reguarding a sweepstakes entry and having the person call us to have mags rammed down their throat.

If you complain to NME that you were called by us and sold mags then they will tell you that we don't call out and you will get a major runaround. But if you did call us, then call the original number you did at first and ask for the customer service dept phone number. then call the customer service dept and tell them what happened and about your overdraft fees. they will refund the fees and give you your money back. well, that's what they're supposed to do. you will probably still get a lot of runaround, if that happens tell them your going to get your lawyer on them. they should be nice and honor your request after that. they would rather refund the money taken and the OD fees than pay court costs. (they already have enough of those to deal with)

before you do that though, just make sure it's NME you delt with. there are MANY magazine scams out there.