Complaint Review: National Magazine Exchange

• Submitted: Mon, September 15, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, September 16, 2008

• Reported By:Juneau Alaska
National Magazine Exchange
16120 US 19 North, Box 9084, Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.

National Magazine Exchange I to participate sweeepstakes; they convinced me to order mags; told them send info in the mail. Clearwater Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Get your money refunded. Cancel the magazines. READ THIS. It works and it's easy.

I participated the sweepstakes but I had to order some magazines. I did not commit but asked them to send me information in the mail because I have to study and think about it which magazine I'll order. For all I knew they already changed me for $17.16 with order number 11014811 to Customer number: 16284691. I called the 1-800 and the customer service to cancell my order. He said unfortunately it has been ordered and I cannot cancell them because it passed the 7 days period and I have a balance of over $175.00

He then said that I don't have to be upset because he can reduce the price. I said "No. I am definitely cancelling my order." He said, "unfortunately, I can't". I just hang my phone up.

I am not sure if I gave my credit card information initially because when they asked my credit card information I told them to put all information in the mail.

Since I cannot cancel my order, am I bound to pay the balance even if I have not received any publication?

I need your help and advice.

Ellery l
Juneau, Alaska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/15/2008 11:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Magazine-Exchange/Clearwater-Florida-33758/National-Magazine-Exchange-I-to-participate-sweeepstakes-they-convinced-me-to-order-mags-373032. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Magazine Exchange

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Big Fred - (U.S.A.)

It is easy to cancel and get your money back. THIS WORKS! Call customer retention and do the following. (call 800-325-3155 or 727-524-3600 or 727-535-0205). If you get someone who isn't helping, hang up and call again.

The following data is from an employee in the customer retention dept.

'We do have rules. When someone threatens to call the Better Business Bureau, Attorney General, their lawyer, or threatens to call their credit card company and reverse the charge we CAN NOT try and 'save' the account we have to go straight to canceling the account with a full refund. If someone does make a threat and we don't cancel the account we'll get in trouble.

'I'm an employee of the national magazine exchange, I work in the Customer Service department actually called Customer RETENTION, because our job is to get the customers not to cancel their account. We get commission based on 'cancel requests' saved. We are scripted and have certain offers we have to make. First we try and spread the payments out then give them 4 years for the price of 3....and so on.'

For people turned into a collection agency tell them you cancelled or that you want to cancel as above. NME uses collection agencies as a bluff but hasn't turned people over to the credit rating bureaus because they do not want the law after them. Try calling back and demanding a refund. That will work and they will leave you alone. If a collection agency calls tell them you cancelled and they will close your account. BE FIRM. In 20 years NME has never reported people to the credit rating bureaus

NME offers refunds. It's your money so demand that it be refunded.