Complaint Review: National Magazine Exchange

• Submitted: Thu, January 22, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, January 23, 2009

• Reported By:Rockmart Georgia
National Magazine Exchange
www.nme.com Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.

National Magazine Exchange Desceptive Practices Clearwater Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Instructions to get a refund. This works. For everyone else reading this - just don't buy the magazines, do not call.

They mailed a one page card saying I had won a sweepstakes to call the number. I called and wound up paying over $660.00 for magazines and I received two cheap watches. They also passed my personal info, including credit card number, to other telemarketing firms. One called and attempted to get me to say "Yes " to their question to pay $2.00 for $110.00 worth of gas cards. They were going to give me that much gas for $2.00 to cover postage and processing. I changed my credit card number before they could do it. I get many phone calls from "Withheld" phone numbers. They are selling junk. If someone calls me and they hide their number, they do not expect to talk to me. They should not need to hide their number. I receive magazines I did not want and have changed. Twice I have went to the site and changed them. I continue to receive the same ones. These are mags no-one else wants. Whatever they can get cheap, possibly free.

Jimmy
Rockmart, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/22/2009 09:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Magazine-Exchange/Clearwater-Florida/National-Magazine-Exchange-Desceptive-Practices-Clearwater-Florida-415120. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Magazine Exchange

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Folks this really works for a cancelation and refund. The economy is very bad and you worked hard for what little money you have so don't let these magazine sales people take it from you.

Call customer retention and do the following. (call 800-301-6247 or 800-325-3155 or 727-524-3600 or 727-535-0205). If you get someone who isn't helping HANG UP and call again.

The following data came from an employee in the customer retention dept.

We have rules. When someone threatens to call their credit card company and reverse the charge, and call the Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney General, and their lawyer, and the AUDIT BUREAU OF CIRCULATION, we CAN NOT try and 'save' the account we have to go straight to canceling the account with a full refund. If someone does make a threat and we don't cancel the account we'll get in trouble.

'I'm an employee of the national magazine exchange, I work in the Customer Service department actually called Customer RETENTION because our job is to get customers not to cancel. We get commission based on 'cancel requests' saved. We are scripted and have certain offers we have to make. First we try and spread the payments out then give them 4 years for the price of 3....and so on.

For people turned into a collection agency tell them you cancelled or that you want to cancel. NME uses collection agencies as a bluff but hasn't turned people over to the credit rating bureaus because they do not want the law after them. Try calling back and demanding a refund. That will work and they will leave you alone. If a collection agency calls tell them you cancelled and they will close your account. BE FIRM. In 20 years NME has never reported people to the credit rating bureaus

Also if you waited too long to cancel the first year you can still cancel years 2, 3, and 4. NME DOES NOT pay for those years until the year begins. They can cancel any later year that has not started and if the phone rep says otherwise they are lying.