Complaint Review: National Magazine Exchange

• Submitted: Sun, June 28, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, June 30, 2009

• Reported By:Charlotte Vermont
National Magazine Exchange
8285 Bryan Dairy Rd. Suite 150 Largo, Florida U.S.A.

National Magazine Exchange Unsolicited personal info. and false sweepstakes offerings Largo Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: This rebuttal is for absolutelystupid, or whatever your name is this week

*UPDATE Employee: Don't be fooled...

*Consumer Suggestion: So What Happened???

I received a notice in the mail that I was entered into a sweepstakes drawing where I could possibly win 2.1 million, "at random." All I had to do was call a number and give the ID number they maile dme by a certain deadline.

I have NO idea how these people got my address..but I am really glad that I did some searching to see that others have had the same experience as I had...

I would really hate to see how many non computer savy people might be taken advantage of..since I am in my late 20ies, I am relieved to say that this is my first scam experience, but it also makes me very nervous about how easily my personal information can be used for evil...

Lex
Charlotte, Vermont

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/28/2009 08:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Magazine-Exchange/Largo-Florida-33777/National-Magazine-Exchange-Unsolicited-personal-info-and-false-sweepstakes-offerings-Larg-465839. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Magazine Exchange

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

This rebuttal is for absolutelystupid, or whatever your name is this week

AUTHOR: Jake - (U.S.A.)

TO: Angeredbystupidity,
Are you saying you are an employee and you are in Texas?
Are you saying NME is now doing business in Texas?
Someone should be sure to let Texas know to ensure you are in compliance with Texas laws.

Does NME have offices in any other states besides their Forida home?

Don't be fooled...

AUTHOR: Angeredbystupidity - (U.S.A.)

The company is a clearing house. We're the second largest clearing house in the nation.

Your information was purchased from another company you deal with. The company is not a scam whatsoever.

Let's talk about being lied to and tricked as you're trying to put it.

We are a marketing company.

You know how different fast food restaurants run contests and promise cash prizes?
How are they any different!?

Sure you may win a million dollars from monopoly, but you and 1 million other people have paid top dollar for the food with the monopoly game pieces and that's how they get the money.

Our sweepstakes is free, however!

100% free!!

We DO pitch magazines at a very low price for those who typically like magazines.

You guys have the demand, and we have the supply. We tell you on the phone and on your letter that you don't have to buy anything to be entered or to win. Pay attention to that! It's important.

We handle a preferred customer list and we DO NOT CALL YOU! You call us.

The truth about the mailing lists is that most of your trusted companies sell your information regardless of what you believe. Your credit card company sells your information, your bank sells your information to an extent, some jobs sell your information. Our company does not.

The Sweepstakes:

The sweepstakes is sponsored by a number of marketing partners, but is mainly funded with the aid of the Magazine Companies. They get something out of it, you have a chance to win a huge chunk of collected monies, we as a clearing house gets paid, and it trickles down to the every day average american. Some of you walk away with great magazines at great prices, and the workers have jobs at the end of the day.

If our company was such a rip off, would we have really been in business for 24 years?

My plea is for you all to read your mail more carefully and listened to whats being said.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

So What Happened???

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

When you take time to file a ROR please give appropriate details. Did you call? Did they ask for personal information? Was there a sweepstakes? This is a meaningless report unless you provide details on exactly WHY someone should not follow through and contact this organization? The purpose of a ROR is to keep people from dealing with an organization. Unless you tell them why they shouldn't the report isn't valid.