Complaint Review: National Publishers, Inc

814 Jackson Avenue Oxford, Mississippi United States of America
  • Phone: (662) 796-1901
  • Web:
  • Category:

National Publishers, Inc National Publishers Inc Solicited by phone for sweepstakes entry Oxford, Mississippi

*Consumer Suggestion: How to say "NO" and not be rude

*UPDATE Employee: Misinformed

*Consumer Suggestion: Why Not Hang Up?

I was solicited on the phone November 25, 2009 by a woman with the last name of Valentine stating I was chosen to enter a sweepstakes for a chance of winning a cash prize.  I was not feeling well and told them that I was not interested at this time.  They stated they were recording the conversation for official purposes.  I declined again and then asked for my credit card information.  I am not a credit card holder but do hold a Unemployment Debit Card.  They would not take no for an answer.  After realizing what I had just did by ordering magazines, I contacted them back to cancel what I had previously agreed to.  The representative at this time told me that I owed them $84.11 and that they cannot cancel this because it is binding.  I did pay them the $84.11 as requested by money order on December 15, 2009 and realize now that they have just taken the money and have yet to receive a single magazine.  I do not want the magazines but they did send me a revised agreement that they are requesting me to sign a new agreement showing that I want the magazines.  I want a cancellation and the money refunded back to me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/22/2010 08:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Publishers-Inc/Oxford-Mississippi-38655/National-Publishers-Inc-National-Publishers-Inc-Solicited-by-phone-for-sweepstakes-entry-558725. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Publishers, Inc

#1 Consumer Suggestion

How to say "NO" and not be rude

AUTHOR: Anon. - (United States of America)

If you are older and/or brought up a certain way in Southern States, it is considered rude to not answer your phone, say no forcefully, or slam the phone down.  This may be why telephone solicitation is particularly high in Southern States.

Since you were sick and needed to answer your telephone because you were out of work and receiving unemployment benefits hoping to receive any word about job prospects, you are vulnerable to phone solicitation.  Next time, say "No, Thank you." "Goodbye."  And then, gently hang up the telephone.  Ignore any quick attempt on the other person's part to engage you in last minute re-engagement of conversation.  If you are sick, cut the conservation short, it is your phone, after all, say this:  "Thank you for calling, but we would not be interested in your product."  Then again, gently hang up.

Beyond that, I find that the purchase of a small, reliable telephone answering machine keeps nearly all such solicitation to a bare minimum, while allowing you to retrieve messages relating to job prospects. For a cancellation and refund work through the Consumer Affairs Division of the state Attorney General's Office.  They can advise you further about this matter.

Misinformed

AUTHOR: EMSI/NPI Employee - (United States of America)

I am an employee here and I need to inform you that your interpretation is incorrect. True, many of our former sales/cs team members use bad business tactics and have been reprimanded. You can cancel your account, we tell you that is is pre-paid up front so we take the loss, not that it is binding. The cancellation agreement is not a new contract, it simply states how many payments you are have left after cancelling and that anything returned to the publisher's will cost you a fee. You will not be able to receive a refund but for how every many payments you've made will determine how long you receive your magazines. We are in the process of getting past accounts fulfilled so you should be receiving exactly what you paid for any day now. We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have any further issues, please give our CS dept a call!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Why Not Hang Up?

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

You didn't feel well and weren't interested. Why didn't you tell the person that and hang up. I don't argue with telemarketers. I owe them nothing. Next time one of these people call hang up or get a phone that tells you who is calling so that you can just let it ring.