Complaint Review: National University

• Updated: Wed, March 05, 2014

• Reported By: confused in Idaho — Idaho
National University
San Deigo, California USA

National University Never signed, never a student but receiving bills San Deigo California

*Consumer Comment: It might be a scam

Just received a weird email this week telling me that I have an outstanding bill from National University that is 60 days past due.  Every number I can to try and reach a real person just goes to voicemail and none of my voicemails/emails/faxes have been answered.  I have never gone to this school, I have never signed up for this school and until this week have never heard from this school.  I go to a good local university so I'm pretty sure I can say with certainty that I haven't signed up for anything to do with this scam school.  Has anybody else had this issue?  The email I received doesn't say how much I owe just that I'm behind payments and to pay in full.  I looked at my credit report and so far it doesn't show anything, but how am I to disput it if I cant get them to respond to me?  Is there another number besides the 866-682-2237 number listed on the email that someone has had luck with?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2014 01:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-University/San-Deigo-California/National-University-Never-signed-never-a-student-but-receiving-bills-San-Deigo-California-1128539. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National University

It might be a scam

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

This has the hint of a scam.

Does this e-mail have your name(not just your e-mail address in it), or are you refered to something like " Dear Student"?

Does it have a lot of grammar and spelling issues?

Is the return e-mail address something that makes sense.  Such as being from nu.edu, or is it from a gmail.com or yahoo.com(or other free e-mails) that anyone can get?

Is it threatning something you know can't happen such as being arrested?

Are they asking you to click on a link, if you go to that link is it a logical address such as something dot nu dot edu or is it just an IP address or some other name that makes no sense?

If any one of these are true it is probably a scam.  If more than one is true then you can just about guarantee it is a scam.

FYI National University is a legitimate school, and quite frankly I am shocked you have never even heard of it.  But okay...

Now, if it is the real NU, you should go to the REAL National University Web site not from the link in the e-mail and contact them through that.  It could be a case of they just were given the wrong e-mail address or in worst case someone has stolen your identity in which this may be only the beginning.  But only they can handle it