Complaint Review: Nationwide Van Lines, Inc

• Updated: Fri, October 08, 2010

• Reported By: Elizabeth — Jacksonville Florida United States of America
Nationwide Van Lines, Inc
1421 NW 65th Avenue Plantation, Florida United States of America

Nationwide Van Lines, Inc Rouge Movers - sent rental truck rather than company-owned or marked fleet truck Plantation, Florida

After obtaining quotes from several moving and relocation companies, I contracted with Nationwide Van Lines to service my move from New York City to Jacksonville, Florida. Primary consideration was given to the fact that they claim to use their own vans and that "No Brokers, Middlemen or Third Party Involved". That they specialized in East Coast relocations was another factor. On May 25, 2010, I received via email the Order for Service and submitted the required $500 deposit by phone check. On May 26, 2010 the binding agreement was executed. The scheduled date for pick-up was June 22, 2010 between 9AM and 1PM

On the day of the move, the mover arrived after 5PM in a Ryder rental van., with one (1) helper and without the Certificate of Insurance required by my development. He subsequently called two (2) "friends" to come and assist him. The driver left my apartment and re-appeared about 1 hour later, after 6 PM.

I first learned of the Ryder rental van when a family member went down to the lobby to look for the driver. When the driver returned to my apartment, I inquired why he was utilizing a Ryder van and was advised that the Nationwide van had broken down the previous week and that there were no other vans available in the area.

At this point I requested that the driver give me his last name and produce some identification. He refused to do so. There was absolute nothing about this "crew", attire included, that suggested that they were Nationwide personnel. Under the circumstances, I felt it unwise to release my belongings to this group and asked them to leave. The following morning, June 23, 2010, I called Nationwide and requested that they refund my deposit. They refused to do so.

I subsequently wrote Nationwide Van Lines, Inc., on August 6, 2010, outlining my complaint and again requesting a refund of my $500 deposit. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. In their response to the BBB, they allege I breach the contract as I failed to cancel in writing "5 days prior to pick-up date". Obviously this was not possible since the issues manifested themselves on the move day. Nationwide has never responded to me directly.

Nationwide knew in advance that they could not provide the service in their OWN van. They had a duty and obligation to so advise me. They never did. While the rental van was obviously of concern to me, my greatest concern was the refusal by the driver to give me his last name and to produce identification. It is unimaginable that they would expect to release my property to this individual. It would have been highly irresponsible on my part to have done so. Any assertion by Nationwide that the "crew" identified themselves is a total fabrication. I have witnesses that they did not and refused to. It is appalling that they rely on a cancellation provision that no one could comply with under the circumstances.

I have subsequently filed a complaint with DOT and Florida Attorney General's office.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2010 12:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nationwide-Van-Lines-Inc/Plantation-Florida-33313/Nationwide-Van-Lines-Inc-Rouge-Movers-sent-rental-truck-rather-than-company-owned-or-m-648916. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Nationwide Van Lines, Inc