When we rented our postage meter through Neopost, we had an individual account representative who helped us set up the account and transfer funds from our old postage meter account. We had a few hiccups with things not being set up properly but he was able to get us through those issues.
Shortly after the account was set up mailed Neopost a check to be applied to our prepaid postage account. They lost the check and could not seem to find it despite our sending them numerous front and back copies showing that they had cashed it. Our original customer service rep suddenly became unavailable and stopped responding to phone calls and emails. Calling the company customer service line led to a different person each time and none gave us the same information.
Since we were already having this much trouble during our trial period, we requested Neopost close the account. The customer service rep said that he would fill out a return merchandise request and send it to a different department that would contact us with an RMA# and instructions on returning the meter and said that our account was now closed. We put the machine in a closet and waited.
Several months later, we began receiving bills from Neopost. We contacted them to tell them that our account was closed and that we had been trying to return the meter for months, and they told us that we owed a balance of several hundred dollars in postage charges--impossible since we hadn't been able to use the meter for postage once we ran out the initial balance from our former prepaid account and Neopost still hadn't said they found our original $200 check, so the meter had never had any funds available for postage.
After almost two years of phone calls, faxes, and emails to this company, I was told numerous times that the matter was resolved and that I would receive an RMA# and return instructions, only to receive another erroneous invoice or call from Neopost collections a few days later. Last week, I finally reached a customer service rep who told me that our account had been closed for two years, that we had $200 credit in our prepaid account (they finally found that missing check, apparently) and that the account that was in collections showed that the only charges that had been applied were finance charges and late fees. Interestingly, he also said that he could see the account history of finance charges and late fees back through 2004--over two years before we ever had any business dealings with his company.
He gave us instructions to send a fax to someone in a different department to have the fees removed from our account and request a refund for the $200 in prepaid postage that we were never able to use. We've yet to hear back.